Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Amazing Race an embarrasment for American people?

We Americans are very fortunate. Our farmers can grow enough food for us, and the country is big enough that one weather incident (drought or flood) doesn't wipe out all our food stocks. We don't need to learn another language, unless we choose to, and we don't need to leave our birth cities to get education. Trouble is, we travel to countries where that isn't the case.

I don't think Americans in general or TAR racers in particular are more or less rude than people from other countries. What we ARE good at, is forgetting how good we have it. Instead of marveling at how cushy our lives are, we complain when we can't live that exact lifestyle somewhere else.

I worked for 10+ years in the tourist industry (Disney & Sea World among others) and other countries DO come to America, and yes, some of those representatives from other countries embarrass their home nations as well. They just aren't being shown on TV.

The truth of the matter is, the people on TAR aren't typical American tourists - they're running a pel mel race against the clock in a foreign country with little or no time to prepare for the culture/language/money/climate differences from one place to another. I did a similar tour around the world (although not quite as fast paced as AR and I wasn't competing for a million dollars) and it's hard to know how to act sometimes, it's easy to forget you ARE in another culture, and yes, sometimes you accidentally make comments that you wish you could take back, or gestures that you didn't realize were considered rude in that country, or just get overwhelmed by the whole situation. Even Colin's comments so far don't really strike me as anti-cultural, just ill informed and overwhelmed. Only the brothers' "stupid foreigners" comment really struck me as a "rude American tourist" comment, and even that stemmed from frustration more than actual snobbery. It IS frustrating not to speak the language, have the proper currency, or even know if you're being overcharged or taken advantage of. And as scsi commando pointed out, there ARE locals in nearly every country just looking for someone from another culture to bilk out of their money because they KNOW that person probably doesn't understand the language or currency.
    We are experiencing technical difficulties...Please stand by...

Quote Originally Posted by Clippo_Puppet
    Even Colin's comments so far don't really strike me as anti-cultural, just ill informed and overwhelmed.
    Um, to rephrase that (got to learn to read before I send) - most of Colin's comments weren't really anti-cultural. I was thinking of his comments about India. His behavior toward the Kenyan police officer and cab driver WAS out of line, and there definately was a feeling of superiority in that whole transactaction that was "ugly American" in nature.

I will think before I speak; I will think before I speak; I will think before I speak... (Hey, Colin could practice that trick too!)
    We are experiencing technical difficulties...Please stand by...

Quote Originally Posted by crackpot

The Bowling Moms and what once was Mirna-Schmirna were perfect examples of this self-entitling arrogance and almost made me stop watching the show - thank god Mirna and Schmirna and their pity parade are gone.
    What have the Bowling Moms done to make you think they have self-entitling arrogance?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    The biggest lesson I have learned is simple: A-hole attitudes are not confined to just the American culture.
    That's right. But the difference is, those other cultures aren't marching over here and planting a flag in your living room.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by scsi commando
    Most Westerners or those from First World countries probably wouldn't want to be in a bus like those in Tanzania.
    Brandon & Nicole believed the creepy conductor is milking them out of all their money.

Just as there are Ugly Americans, there are the Ugly Locals.
    Well, if I didn't like the way you cleaned or decorated your house, you're saying it would be ok for me to waltz over and give you my opinion while standing in your living room?

Quote Originally Posted by crackpot
    That's right. But the difference is, those other cultures aren't marching over here and planting a flag in your living room.

Well, if I didn't like the way you cleaned or decorated your house, you're saying it would be ok for me to waltz over and give you my opinion while standing in your living room?
    Uhm, when did they race through someone's living room?
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Uhm, when did they race through someone's living room?
    lol

The thing is, all the contestants have visas to all the countries they are going to. So, they are invited into the living room.

They sometimes have to give honest assessments, or comments of the place they are in. I've no doubt the producers require them to do so. Else, why bother talking to the camera.

This isn't like Discovery Channel's Lonely Planet where the hosts are well-informed of the places they are going into and are very used to the discomforts of travels.

Hmm... I could imagine Megan McCormick or Justin Shapiro in crowded Indian trains, being groped and smiling at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by scsi commando
    Doesn't bother me at all. I actually hope the race brings in more tourists to those pitstops.
    Errrr I think you're missing the point.... do you actually think millions of your fellow american vacationers would suddenly cancel whatever trip they plan to head and book a trip to the slums of calcutta? cold tundra moscow? broken-tire-100-dollar-cab-fare Kenya? I think not.

Let's face it. Those contestants, more or less, do give our country a bad name. To be fair tho, some incidents are understandable (because of the nature of the race/ game) but others are just uncalled for and very much shameful.

I mean why can't everybody be more like chip and kim? They seem to be "incident-free" so far at the same time they are serious contenders/ competitors for that one million dollar prize. Is it too much to ask?
    Last edited by mrjunior; 09-05-2004 at 01:25 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast