+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Next episode--cutting off the hair?!

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired
    No offense intended, but yours are obviously and definitely the feelings of a teenager, not someone who has nickel and dimed it in the real world. If you've ever lived hard, which you are bound to do at least in college, you would definitely shave off your hair for a million dollars. When you have bills to pay, kids to feed, and other responsabilities, things like hair get a bit more trivial.

From what I'm seeing of the contestants, only Chip and Kim will admit to a comfortable lifestyle, and they worked their way (literally) out of the projects to get that life so they too know about hard times. Kami and Karly are struggling college students. Brandon and Nicole are struggling to make it in the entertainment industry.

And all of them could certainly use the money since they subjected themselves to this race and the conditions that go along with it. Think about it. If you're willing to swallow 2 pounds of caviar or what looked like at least 2 pounds of ostrich egg, you'll shave your head if for no other reason than the chance to win a trip and stay in the game.

Like I said before, hair grows back. As someone who constantly plays with and changes her hair, I can tell you with all certainty that even the shortest Halle Berry cut can grow back if you just give it time.

And remember, Demi Moore shaved her head for GI Jane, and people still thought she looked amazing. She did it for the money, as most of us would. With the people remaining having a 1 in 4 chance of winning $1 million, why not?

And to answer your other question, only the first place team wins money. The rest get nothing except for the experience of a lifetime. So it is a gamble to do it, but you can't win if you're not in the game.
    Yes, wierdly I will agree with you on that. Maybe, I don't have the real outside experience of supporting myself in the real world, so I wouldn't know that shaving my hair off is a small price to pay for a chance to win a million dollars.

My brother came up with a funny idea: Charla and Mirna bald!

I think the most likely to take it would be the moms. Do you really think they CARE about their looks? No, they want the million dollars!
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by yourefired
    And to answer your other question, only the first place team wins money. The rest get nothing except for the experience of a lifetime. So it is a gamble to do it, but you can't win if you're not in the game.
    Hi,

actually teams do get a small stipend from the race while they are in it

also, last year jon of jon & kelly mentioned an amount they got for being second in a follow up article that was done about his work (real estate sales i think)

Yeah, you have to get something. I mean, the bills keep on coming during the month you're gone.
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

Not over yet.....
    Didnt phil say "cut their hair" I dont remember him saying "cut off all their hair" ie baldness. I wouldnt assume they have to go with the Mr. Clean look.

Would the teams know before accepting the FF that it would require that they shave their heads? If a team accepted the FF only to learn that their head would be shaved could they back out or would the be eliminated?

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    I think the moms would do it. They are funky and fun like that. If they do that and come in first, then run a clean race, they might have a good chance in being the in the final three. Hopefully the next leg isn't another NEL -_-., like in TAR3, 2 NEL in a row.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

I know for a fact it isn't Nicole since I've seen her numerous times since the show finished taping. She still has all of her hair and more. Geez, it was almost down to her butt at Miss Texas USA.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeper
    Hi,

actually teams do get a small stipend from the race while they are in it

also, last year jon of jon & kelly mentioned an amount they got for being second in a follow up article that was done about his work (real estate sales i think)

Thanks for the clarification. It is true that the contestants must get paid SAG limits for each episode. I think it's somewhere around $1000 per episode. The BB contestants get $1000 per week (up from $750 last year). Thanks for clearing that up for me. I knew it, but my post was referring strictly to prize money (or what I thought was prize money).

That's odd that they say they got money for coming in second. I wonder why they never mentioned it on the show. On BB, they say the first place person get half a mil and the 2nd place person gets $50,000. But on TAR, they have never acknowledged that the second place team also gets a cash amount. It might make some more inclined to try it than if they thought it was all or nothing.

I know I'd be upset if I did all that work only to come home empty handed (aside from the stipend).

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChgoBurbs
    Would the teams know before accepting the FF that it would require that they shave their heads? If a team accepted the FF only to learn that their head would be shaved could they back out or would the be eliminated?

They could back out, but they'd have to go back and do everything that needed to be done while they were traveling to the FF. So basically, there would be some major backtracking.

I remember one year that someone got to the FF and did it. The FF was there for all to see, and a second team traveled all the way to the FF task only to find a sign at the marker saying it had been taken. The second team then had to backtrack and do all the tasks from that route marker where they found the FF.

It also should be pointed out that in past years more than one team can go for the FF at once BUT the first to complete it would be the one who got it. The other would have to go back and complete the missions in the race and make it to the pit stop that way.

Of course, that rule could have changed this year because there may just be one FF card. I remember no one else acknowledging the FF except for C&C the last time it was offered. That makes me wonder if the FF is in the clue box just like the others and the first one to claim it is the only one who knows about it. Does anyone know?

+ Reply to Thread