+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is TAR dumbing down?

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Well, i highly doubt its the challenges. Watching peple eat and gag isn't what TAR is about O_o. i mean from what I 've seen in TAR3 and TAR4, not one roadblock was eating at least i don't think. Only 1 detour and 1 FF from these two were eating. Their roadblocks were much more exciting such as swimming with dolphins, bungee jumping, selling bowls of escargot, blocking a soccer goal from young professional soccer players, and changing tires of race cars and actually doing a lap with a professional. Also, as many people mention, they were also driving which created so much drama and excitiment, that led teams to be eliminated who were ahead and sometimes even walking to the pitstop led to many teams downfall. This time, it is too straight foward.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

I know in previous years they have had food challenges ... but this year it seems like they are having more (going after the Fear Factor audience? Maybe!). One is ok because other seaons have had them but I hope this egg eating one is the last one for the season.

I guess I'm just a TAR purist but I don't like to see them mess with the formula. The race doesn't need any adjustments. Just look at the new "yield" .. whoop-dee-do nobody has used it yet, it has been worthless. I think the FF opportunity each episode would have made for more drama so far!
    "The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Didn't Exist!" --- Verbil Kint, The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    One of my favorite driving scenes didn't involve driving or navigating, but diesel fuel. It was very interesting to see who noticed and who didn't, and then how they resolved the situation. Seeing Ian siphon the bad gas out was the first time that he made a positive impression on me.
    I just had to chime in and say that was one of my favorite TAR moments ever. I had not liked Teri & Ian, but right then and there I changed my mind. He actually broke a fuel line to drain the tank. I still can't believe he did that!

We noticed the egg connection at our house, too PG13.

I wonder if because of the new rules about taking the money away, they added more flagged TAR taxis. Linda & Karen only had to beg for one taxi ride, then tickets at that temple, right?

It seems like this time there's more times where they just travel in a pack all day.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by martini
    I've had the same thought about the dumbing down of tasks. The only "brain" task I can think of was the dog walking task in Argentina and both teams that attempted it gave up.

4 teams attempted it:

Alison & Donny & the Bowling Moms gave it up. Bob & Joyce & the Twins finished it.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I think there's more to come. We shouldn't conclude the season after just 7 episodes.

Every TAR season up to this point has had bungee jumps. I don't see why this season there is'n't any. Well I hope there is.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    I just watched the rerun of TAR tonight and i didn't catch this before but the clue told the teams to followed the marked path to the pitstop. I don't like Marked paths, also this roadblock to the pitstop was pretty far. I remeber on TAR 4 for the first NEL, Reichen and Chip finished the roadblock first and just had to run down the beach which had no mark paths and they got lost. It let Jon and AL be first. If this didn't have a marked path, it would've been more interesting.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

FORT Newbie
    I made a topic a few weeks ago regarding puzzles but for some strange reason, the topic got removed

in other words, ditto on the dumbing down

The driving half of the detour was great this week. I really enjoyed seeing three of the teams driving through the sand.

At first I was excited about the ironic combination of camels and GPS, but it was pre-programmed!!! How "duh" can you get?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I agree veejar. All they had to do was follow the arrow, even the twins could do that!
    It would have been more challenging to give them a compass and say, "go on a headding of xxx degrees to the pit stop.

I just don't like how the races seem to be decided too much by luck with airplanes and/or taxis. More bunching up would fix that.

I like the challenges myself. I love when the teams have to figure out where to go or how to finish a task.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast