+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beggars and Givers

Beggars and Givers

I'm really not happy about the new twist to take money away from the contestants who come in last on a NEL. I agree they need to have some sort of penalty, but this one is a horrible, horrible idea. Most of the places the contestants go to on TAR are not in as financially good a shape as the U.S.

Plus, I find that people who tend to give are the ones who donít have much. As a professional who's worked in various non-profits for most of my adult life, the rich don't give as much as they lead us to believe they do, but the ones who genuinely care and give out of pure selflessness don't have that much to spare to begin with.

So having the teams beg is just awful. I really, really hope TPTB are paying the locals back, off-camera, for any money given to the teams, in this up-coming leg and any other.

However, the bowling moms are in a huge tourist location. Perhaps there will be generous tourists around to provide them with money quickly.

It also will be interesting to see how much money the other teams are given at the beginning of the leg. Sometimes it has been as little as one dollar.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

If nothing else the Bowling Moms' crew will have their emergancy money though right? Unless ofcourse they used it already.

Other ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by mad_megt
    I'm really not happy about the new twist to take money away from the contestants who come in last on a NEL. I agree they need to have some sort of penalty, but this one is a horrible, horrible idea.
    I agree--but my thoughts about it are more about the strategic possibilities that they're ignoring.

If you take away the money they've saved from previous legs AND take away their start money--then all the team can do is beg for more money. Very linear and amusing...once.

However, imagine doing only one or the other...but not both.

ALTERNATIVE #1--Take away their start money but leave them what they've saved up.

If a team is judicious in how they've spent their previous money, they aren't troubled...but what if the Bowling Moms had spent the previous night in a St. Petersburg hotel (since they weren't flying out until the next morning)--that would make for some interesting conversations about who wanted to stay in luxury and who wanted to sleep in the airport. It also puts the questions of "train, bus or taxi" into heightened concern because a team might need that money later on... Every decision becomes strategic, and teams won't always be doing "the one thing every other team has just done." Maybe more teams walk in certain circumstances...on purpose...while other teams might risk their saved money on one cab ride to make certain they don't come in last...

ALTERNATIVE #2--Take away their saved up money but give them start money.

Taking away a team's cushion but still allowing them to compete normally puts increased pressure on the team...no taking a long cab ride when a bus or a train is available... It also increases the tension in situations where creature comforts were declined in order to save money--only to lose that money without ever getting to use it.

The rule changes this year (only 2 Fast Forwards, the Yield and taking all money away from last place NEL teams) all seek to punish the teams who have fallen behind...when a great deal of the fun of TAR is how the teams are usually very close to each other, often with teams coming back from behind to take the lead. The way it is set up now, only the team in front can really use the Fast Forwards (too much risk that someone else has already done the Fast Forward), only a team in front of another team can Yield that team, and the team that comes in last in an NEL has to, pretty much, quit the race to beg for money to continue.

I worry they've tipped the balance too far with all of the changes that have been made.

pg--seattle
    oh, don't get me wrong...I'm still a fan...I'm just saying...there are ways of changing rules to make MORE potentially exciting things happen...rather than less.

Captain of the World
    Where did the apples come from? Who paid for those?
    Never Play Leap Frog With A Unicorn

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nairb247
    Where did the apples come from? Who paid for those?
    They probably stole them from the hotel.

My ox is broken. Colin in TAR5

This would make the second last leg more interesting too

Did anyone catch how much money they got?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

A Friggin' Princess HueyDueyLuey961's Avatar
    I did. All the teams started out with 65$ this leg, much less than the previous leg. Linda and Karen, however, started with none.
    In Production Now- Decision 2005: A FoRT Game

As a matter of fact, I was a member of the Council on BB:TC.

Quote Originally Posted by HueyDueyLuey961
    I did. All the teams started out with 65$ this leg, much less than the previous leg. Linda and Karen, however, started with none.
    Thanks. I did get that. What I meant was how much did Linda and Karen beg?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast