+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The finest empty museum imaginable

The finest empty museum imaginable

I don't think if I were racing I'd of made it out of St. Petersburg, but not because of missed connections, rather because I inadvertently CONNECTED with the Hermitage.

I have to assume from the emptiness that the place was reserved exclusively for TAR. It is hard to imagine a place that holds such treasures ever being that empty, from the moment the doors open till the guards pull out the cattle prods to "encourage" you to finally leave at closing time.

A person could lose themselves in there for a month or a year, and the poor contestants probably averaged 20 minutes, kind of like Mr. Griswold nodding for 3 or 4 seconds at the magnificance of the Grand Canyon before hustling his family back to the road in National Lampoon's "Vacation".

What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    I don't think if I were racing I'd of made it out of St. Petersburg, but not because of missed connections, rather because I inadvertently CONNECTED with the Hermitage.

I have to assume from the emptiness that the place was reserved exclusively for TAR. It is hard to imagine a place that holds such treasures ever being that empty, from the moment the doors open till the guards pull out the cattle prods to "encourage" you to finally leave at closing time.

A person could lose themselves in there for a month or a year, and the poor contestants probably averaged 20 minutes, kind of like Mr. Griswold nodding for 3 or 4 seconds at the magnificance of the Grand Canyon before hustling his family back to the road in National Lampoon's "Vacation".

What a shame.
    I don't think they reserved the whole Hermitage for TAR. It looked like there were some other people in the place .. just not a whole lot. I mean St. Petersburg in the middle of a Russian winter is not a tourist hot spot!
    "The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Didn't Exist!" --- Verbil Kint, The Usual Suspects

One team, I think it was the twins, were helped in the museum by a young lady with a backpack.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

In addition, it was probably a weekday, fairly early in the morning.

FORT Fogey
    I do agree that you could get lost in there. Just from the little bit of what I saw during the show, I was in complete awe!! I would LOVE to go there someday.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    One team, I think it was the twins, were helped in the museum by a young lady with a backpack.

It was Kami and Karili you were thinking of

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    which is interesting because all the museums I've visited....don't allow backpacks to be carried into the museum. Security takes large bags, backpacks, umbrellas...pencils even as they watch to make sure nothing is touched....

It was probably a weekday morning. I know that's my favorite time to head over to look at Van Gogh or Gauguin.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

The Hermitage is rather empty in the Winter. Tourists avoid coming to St.Petersburg in the winter and the people who live there go, maybe once a year if that.

Quote Originally Posted by jech
    The Hermitage is rather empty in the Winter. Tourists avoid coming to St.Petersburg in the winter and the people who live there go, maybe once a year if that.
    Exactly, I wouldn't really want to go somewhere cold for a vacation, beautiful buildings or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jech
    Thanks, jech. In hindight, it seems obvious that winter would have an effect, but I just expected a bustling place. Now I know when to travel if I'd like some quiet time with the masters.

Your comment about the locals struck a chord as well. I lust in my mind over the idea of visiting museums I'll probably never get a chance to see, and under visit the ones in my own region.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast