+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 5 Ratings: "Race" Regains Momentum

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar

Episode 5 Ratings on the Rise!

We do not have the rating/share yet, but we do have other stats.

TAR was #2 in its timeslot and the night (to Law & Order: SVU), but first in the Adults 18-49 category with a 4.5.

TAR received 10.43 million viewers last night.

Zap2It should update before noon to tell us the rating/share (due to the amount of viewers it would probably be between 6.3-6.5/11).
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 08-04-2004 at 12:43 PM.

FORT Fan

Week 5 Ratings: "Race" Regains Momentum

Without having to compete with Democrats gathered in Boston, CBS's "The Amazing Race 5" regained some of the momentum it had gained during its first three weeks. [Note: these ratings are Metered Market Ratings]

While "Race" wasn't able to lap NBC's "Law & Order: SVU" in the actual ratings point race, it was victorious in the viewership count and the important 18-49 year old demographic. "Race" also continued to out deliver its lead-in, "Big Brother 5" and was not only CBS's most watched series on the night, but was also the most watched series on network television last night.

The numbers...

Viewership: 10.4 million
    Rating/Share: 7.1 / 11
    18-49 yr. olds: 4.5 / 13

The preliminary viewership total makes this 5th episode of "Race" the third most watched episode this season:

Ep. 1 (7/6): 10.3 million
    Ep. 2 (7/13): 10.5 million
    Ep. 3 (7/20): 11.1 million
    Ep. 4 (7/27): 10.1 million
    Ep. 5 (8/3): 10.4 million (preliminary)

Once the final statistics are released by Nielsen, episode 5 should gain enough viewers to push it past episode 2's total viewership. Based on previous weeks, "Race" could gain between 200,000 and 400,000 (or more) viewers. In that event, last night's 5th episode could actually walk away with between 10.6 and 10.8 million (or more) viewers.
    Last edited by jpoliver; 08-04-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Like I replied to your last post, Mediaweek has everything correct except rating/share.

For example, back in Week 3, TAR had a 6.9 rating and 11.11 million viewers. How can this episode have a 7.1 rating with less viewers? You should wait for Zap2It for the accurate rating/share.

And I already made a week 5 ratings post:
    http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ad.php?t=33563

Sonic, I really don't care enough to get in the middle of this, but Mediaweek gets their numbers from metered markets, and Zap2it gets their data from "fast overnight" ratings. Fast overnight ratings, while a good indicator, are definitely not even close to real numbers, and highly subject to change.

So, let's not quibble over small differences in numbers, because neither of the numbers the 2 of you toss out are accurate until finalized by Nielsen, several days after the airdate.

Let's learn to play nice.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Sonic, I really don't care enough to get in the middle of this, but Mediaweek gets their numbers from metered markets, and Zap2it gets their data from "fast overnight" ratings. Fast overnight ratings, while a good indicator, are definitely not even close to real numbers, and highly subject to change.

So, let's not quibble over small differences in numbers, because neither of the numbers the 2 of you toss out are accurate until finalized by Nielsen, several days after the airdate.

Let's learn to play nice.
    John, and others...

I simply pass along information concerning the ratings for "Race" because I know a lot of people who visit the board are interested because they can be used as an indicator of whether or not the series will get renewed.

Personally, I don't care about the actual rating point or share percentage. I, and probably the networks, are more interested in viewership totals and (to a lesser degree) the appeal of "Race" in the younger age demographic since networks emphasize that particular piece of the audience.

I provide the ratings information not to "scoop" someone else or be the first to post it, I simply do it so "Race" fans can easily find the ratings information here on this board without having to visit half-a-dozen sites that provide information that very few people can understand. Not everyone will understand that a 7.1 rating (metered market) is good. However, everyone knows that 10.4 million people is a lot of viewers, and translate that into good news for the series.

In my defense, I tried to deflate the "metered markets" vs. "fast national" ratings debate by noteing that the information I provided was indeed metered market information.

Lastly, as far as playing nice, I've always given people the benefit of the doubt and invite anyone to produce an instance of where I did not "play nice".

Eh...*backs off*...sorry.
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 08-04-2004 at 01:51 PM.

Fast national Data is up from Zap2It.com.

At 10 p.m., NBC's "Law & Order: SVU," 6.8/12, beat "The Amazing Race," 6.6/11, in household ratings, although CBS had the edge in total viewers. "NYPD 24/7" posted a 3.7/6 for ABC.
    Currently, the average viewership per ratings point for TAR5 is 1.62 million per point (from CantGetEnufTARs site). That means 6.6x1.62 means that this episode could possibly be as high as (or higher/lower than) 10.69 million viewers.
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 08-04-2004 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks for providing this, I always look forward to what the ratings were this week, and am glad they have been consistently strong!

Here are the overnight ratings (from thefutoncritic.com):

"The Amazing Race 5" (households: 6.6/12, #2; adults 18-49: 4.5, #1).
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 08-04-2004 at 06:32 PM.

FINAL NIELSEN RATINGS (from Tvrules.net)...they left out the final rating/share...:

CBS's THE AMAZING RACE 5 continued on its torrid summer pace, leading the Network to a Tuesday win in viewers, adults 18-49 and adults 25-54, according to final Nielsen ratings for Aug. 3.

THE AMAZING RACE 5 was first in viewers (10.55m), adults 25-54 (4.8/12), adults 18-49 (4.5/13) and adults 18-34 (4.0/12). This is the second best delivery this season for THE AMAZING RACE 5 in viewers, adults 18-49, adults 25-54 and tied as the second best adults 18-34 performance.

THE AMAZING RACE 5 improved upon last week's delivery by +6% in households, +4% in adults 25-54, +5% in adults 18-49 and +3% in adults 18-34 while adding +500,000 viewers.
    However, we can find out by doing last weeks 6.2 x 1.06 (6.2+6%) to get 6.57 which rounds to a 6.6 rating. Do the same thing to the share and you get a 12 share.
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 08-04-2004 at 10:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast