+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 8/3 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by frack
    Ah, thanks. I guess I'm not very observant.

Well then there's prolly a note somewhere or their production team told them the fast forward was taken.
    Sorry, frack, but that's part of the game. They don't tell them if it's taken. Lot's of fun to watch two teams compete for it, knowing one will have to go back and do all of the tasks anyway.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by touque
    Sorry, frack, but that's part of the game. They don't tell them if it's taken. Lot's of fun to watch two teams compete for it, knowing one will have to go back and do all of the tasks anyway.
    Oh duh, I am clearly not thinking this morning.

I just remembered the last TAR, one of the teams went to do the FF and found out it was already done.

If the brothers hadn't found out Colin and Christie were on an earlier flight, it's possible Charla and Mirna might've gone for it not knowing what place they were in...

Brandon and Nicole got help with a task. Might they get a penalty? If it's the same as in the past, it's 30 minutes plus the time gained. It would be hard to estimate how long it would have taken them to get back on track, but it might be enough to bump them down a bit.

Linda and Karen are at one of the biggest tourist spots in the world. They don't have to beg from poor Egyptians. They can beg from rich tourists. I wonder if there's a rule about telling folks they're on the Amazing Race? I think it would be pretty easy to get money from Americans by saying "We're on a CBS TV show. Give us money and you can be on TV"

Fast Forward - I think the discussion on whether it was a mistake is silly. There are only two! Take it when you have the chance.

In the past teams near the lead have passed it up knowing they wouldn't be able to use it later & saving it was good strategy. It typically was used by teams at the back to avoid elimination. Now that there're only two, there's no reason to let it pass. Which ever team is in the lead the next time it shows up will take it. You almost have to wonder why they bother having it at all anymore.

Lost, as I recall had two races. The first dropped people off in Mongolia. It was tabled after one or two episodes but ran in full later. The second dropped folks off in South America. Peru or Bolivia. It was stupid. Middle-class people from America begging from poor people isn't entertaining.

FORT Newbie
    The Fast Forward? I still think it was a mistake. It means that every other team has a chance to use the remaining one. And use it when it might mean trouncing Colin and Christie. Once again I see in Colin and Christie (as well as others) the possible stumbling block of being determined to come in first. First only matters at the end. There is no way anyone who has seen the show before is going to think that a twelve hour lead is going to last beyond a leg this early on. I guess I just always think you don't use a parachute to jump five feet. They were in the tower six hours before any other team could have landed. Six hours. So they used up a fast forward and left their competitors the chance to use the remaining one. Still not smart by any means. If they were down to four teams, yes. But seven teams and four non-elimination rounds? Assume that they come in last another round and start out in a fast forward round with no money. That slight edge is already gone. Doesn't matter if they have a chance of grabbing it.

Also in terms of strategy with a six hour lead minimum with two healthy people, it would have been smart to let someone else use it up and possibly eliminate a stronger team by leap-frogging them. Or having your next strongest team succumb to temptation and take the fast forward only to still be behind Collin and Christie who still have the fast forward if they truly need it. Nope. Taking it was silly and short-sighted in my opinion.

Um. actually the wording on the CBS website end of last year I believe said that the Fast Forward was not in each envelope but in the box for all to see. That way when taken, the following teams would not know there was one or that someone had taken it. This was designed to not allow the Fast Forward being used to influence the subsequent roadblocks etc.

So has this changed? Because I find it really hard to believe that the twins or the Moms did nto at least discuss the possibility of gambling for the Fast forward. Perhaps it was edited out. But the limitations to two Fast Forwards were not the only changes to that element six months ago.
    Last edited by snarkfan; 08-04-2004 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wendiness

Re "Lost", I believe that began just before 9/11 and, thus, the series was cancelled. Another poster commented on seeing the finale, but I believe there's some confusion here. It's my understanding the series was scrapped and never aired after 9/11. It was a shame because it was fascinating.

There was a final episode--I remember it very clearly! I agree, though, that the show was pretty boring so people may have just tuned out before it was over.

This past episode of TAR was amazing--the sites were incredible and the scenery breathtaking. I like that TAR goes to unusual, unique places quite often, but it's fun when they also go places that most people are familiar with but have never been to.

Quote Originally Posted by snarkfan
    Um. actually the wording on the CBS website end of last year I believe said that the Fast Forward was not in each envelope but in the box for all to see. That way when taken, the following teams would not know there was one or that someone had taken it. This was designed to not allow the Fast Forward being used to influence the subsequent roadblocks etc.
    Sorry, but "No".

If that were true, how could Jon & Kelly have gone for the same FF that Chip & Reichen ultimately got? And C&R didn't even intend to take the FF in that leg, but only ended up doing it when they got lost going to the next regular Route Marker.
    Last edited by LAGuy; 08-04-2004 at 11:31 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by snarkfan

So has this changed? Because I find it really hard to believe that the twins or the Moms did nto at least discuss the possibility of gambling for the Fast forward. Perhaps it was edited out. But the limitations to two Fast Forwards were not the only changes to that element six months ago.
    In episode 9 of TAR4 , Kelly and Jon go for the Fast Forward. However, when they get there they find out it has already been taken by Reichen and Chip and they end up having to go back to do the tasks.
    http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing...ar4sofar.shtml

ETA: Looks like we had the same idea, LAGuy.

FORT Newbie
    Sorry, but "No".
    If that were true, how could Jon & Kelly have gone for the same FF that Chip & Reichen ultimately got? And C&R didn't even intend to take the FF in that leg, but only ended up doing it when they got lost going to the next regular Route Marker.
    Because they were on last season and the change was part of the whole 'just two fast forwards' policy enacted for this season? Every packet had a fast forward last season. The list of changes when the announcement of this season mentioned two fast forwards and only one actual fast forward pass in the bunch when offered. That is what I was asking. Not the general fast forward policy from the past seasons as that has obviously changed. thanks for the effort though.

Wow now I really wanna go to Egypt! It was really nice of Chip to help out the twins and try to mend their broken bond, that was very gentleman of him to do so

Mirna is so stupid. She can't eat well, claustrophobic now WHAT It's really hard to support hate a team like Charla/Mirna where you hate one person so badly but love one person

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDave
    Linda and Karen are at one of the biggest tourist spots in the world. They don't have to beg from poor Egyptians. They can beg from rich tourists. I wonder if there's a rule about telling folks they're on the Amazing Race? I think it would be pretty easy to get money from Americans by saying "We're on a CBS TV show. Give us money and you can be on TV"
    Well, i don't think they can say they are on a CBS TV SHOW so precisely but they just say, Oh we really need money for this race competition we are in. HEather and Eve did that and a lot of teams from AR4.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread