+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/3 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Im staring to wonder if the yield is even going to be used this season!!!!!

Just kidding

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by scooberoo
    I analyzed what he said, he said "this is where Moses said 'Let my people go'", so Moses didn't say that to Pharaoh at the Red Sea (I think). Chip probably just meant it was cool to be in Egypt in general, that it was the place that the whole Moses thing happened. Anyway, he did say he had a lot of respect for the Egyptians for moving the blocks to build the pyramids... How about the Hebrew slaves?
    You're right that Moses didn't say that to Pharoah at the Red Sea. I guess I must have heard him wrong... good point about the Hebrew slaves!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by DarKensoul7
    Well, I actually thought it was a good move. I mean, they know they is only 2 fast fowards in the game. Since they were so ahead already, why not be MORE ahead. They wasted a FF so no one else can use it. They also know they other fast forward will be fought for by other teams.
    I just don't think it would have hurt them at this point if another team had used the FastForward. At worst, they would be in second.
    The next time the fast forward comes available, it might help them to not be eliminated. And ultimately that is what this game is about.

Besides at this point of the game, there are too many airports and places open from 9-5 for the teams to re-bunch up. That "lead" will inevitably be lost anyhow. Just the way I look at it.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by touque
    I just don't think it would have hurt them at this point if another team had used the FastForward. At worst, they would be in second.
    The next time the fast forward comes available, it might help them to not be eliminated. And ultimately that is what this game is about.

Besides at this point of the game, there are too many airports and places open from 9-5 for the teams to re-bunch up. That "lead" will inevitably be lost anyhow. Just the way I look at it.
    well, its 50/50 hehe. If they had like 12 hour lead, that would just be awesome.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Healblade
    NEL at 7 teams? That's a first. (Still a stupid twist)
    Well, look at it this way--if there are four non-elimination legs, if they didn't use one now, that would mean that either every other leg would be a non-elimination leg until the end of the race, or two legs in a row would have to be NEL's. Neither of them are particularly desirable options from a production standpoint, so I'm guessing the following is the most likely scenario:

Leg 6: Elimination (6 teams remain)
    Leg 7: NEL (6)
    Leg 8: Elimination (5)
    Leg 9: Elimination (4)
    Leg 10: NEL (4)
    Leg 11: Elimination (3)
    Leg 12: NEL (3)
    Leg 13: "Double elimination" (1 team wins)

Any other scenario would put too many NEL's too close together--again, ticking off the viewer a little too much. [Too much of a not-so-good thing, I guess.]

Quote Originally Posted by dizzylizzy
    Okay. I'm confused. Is it a good move for Colin & Christi to use their fast forward when they have a 6 hour lead on the other teams?
    Well, there's only two in the race. [Were teams notified of that in advance?] That means you can't count on being in the same position again later in the race, so there's no particularly compelling reason not to use it. On the other hand, if teams knew there'd be one on each of the first, say, ten legs, that would be a different story--you'd have to be much more careful.

As for using the FF when they already had such a big lead, the reasonable enough expectation is that they would be far enough ahead that at most one or two other teams would be able to catch up with them for the next flight. There's an enormous advantage in catching an earlier flight, as we've already seen.

And, if nothing else, even if they don't succeed in gaining a temporal advantage, there's something to be said for the physical and psychological advantage of having an extra few hours to rest before their next flight--as well as the advantage of not having gone through the physical exertion of moving the blocks or running around the Giza plateau all night long. [The teams should thank their lucky stars the race was in mid-winter and not in August!]

So, was it the right call? Maybe, maybe not--it'll play out in the next few weeks. Would I have made the same call in their shoes? Most likely. The calculated benefits definitely outweigh the risks on this one.
    Last edited by lone1c; 08-04-2004 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Corrected errors

It may seem dumb for Colin and Christie to use the fast forward this time, but who's guaranteeing they'd have an opportunity to use it next time? Whichever team gets to it is the one who uses it--and even then some other team may already be using it. CC knew they were in first place, so they knew no one else was going for it, and they knew this is only one of two opportunities to use it. Why not stretch their lead out even further??

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingRaceMan
    That sounds like a cool show what station was it on, is it still on the air?
    ARM, believe me...you're probably lucky you missed Lost (and it was on NBC) It was ok for about half an episode then you were just flat out bored to tears. It really was bad, sorry!

Anyways, thoughts about tonight's AR....
    ~Charla continues to amaze me, she's doing such a great job in this race! (if only we could replace her partner, I'd feel soooo much better!) I actually got close to teary eyed with her on horseback...it must have been such a special moment for her to be able to do that for the first time in her life, and especially with that gorgeous backdrop of the pyramids at sunset! I gotta say that of all the things the teams have done this season, that is most definitely the task that I'd like to do the most! They were certainly lucky to have been able to do that one, truly a once in a lifetime sight for most of us.
    ~Chip and Kim are still doing great, despite the lower standing this week. They played as well as I think they could have this go round, and still continue to show their great relationship.
    ~Linda and Karen, oh Mamas! I'm so worried about them going into the next episode, but I have faith, I think they can pull this off. I really wish for them that they'd have been able to do some of the more fun things this episode, I think they would have really been able to enjoy the horseback ride as well.
    ~Colin and Christie, actually I think it's good that they went ahead with the FF tonight since there's only 2 to be had. Might as well do it cause the chances of finding the other one might not be in their favor next time it pops up. I actually can't wait to watch them explode next week.
    ~Kami and Karli, oh please please tell me their time is nearly up! I'm not sure how much more stupidity I can watch out of these two.

Ok enough of my thoughts for the night, I've exceeded my 2 cent quota
    Last edited by libra1022; 08-04-2004 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingRaceMan
    That sounds like a cool show what station was it on, is it still on the air?
    It only aired once--I think it was on NBC and I'm sure it was pre-9/11..I seem to remember them in some pretty dicey places. And I just remembered that they had to go to the Statue of Liberty to win.

In some ways it was kind of cool the way these people would beg, borrow, and sell their own stuff to get airline tickets. I totally cannot remember how the team who won was able to get a free flight across the Pacific to NYC--I remember what they looked like, but not how they won! I also remember that one guy just dropped out because it was so hard to beg from people who had very little, when he knew he had the money at home and was just playing a game.

Is it just me or do Charla & Mirna always get lost?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaky
    Just for the sake of arguing political correctness, would it be appropriate to say:

Rats! Team Allah is team #4
    or
    Rats! Team Muhammed is team #5?

or Team Budda......

It always amazes me that folks will label christian groups but wouldn't dare label other religions publically because it isn't politically correct.

Actually I would.. if there was some team that was preaching about how they don't need material things but are doing a race for a Million dollars.. you better believe I'd give them a name and probably a few worse things.. "Damn Budda Buddys.." would come out just as quickly..
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

+ Reply to Thread