+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticketing & Customs?

Ticketing & Customs?

A question about how big the camera crew is and what impact it has on getting airline/bus tickets?

Wondering if the crew gets to fly 1st class while the team flies economy during packed flights?

Also, a question about customs. I wondering how much of an impact this has on teams getting through to connecting flights or out of the airport?

any thoughts?
    Last edited by b00tyc00per; 08-01-2004 at 01:40 PM.

I have no idea. Good question.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fan
    I think the crew that has to stay with the team is a 2 person crew: camera guy and "sound" guy. I read it somewhere and you can tell it in the editing. When they are in a rental car the crew sits on the passenger side of the car. The camera guy is in front and the sound guy in the back . In cabs, the camera guy is in the front and the contestants have to sit in the back seat together so they can be filmed together with the sound guy nearest to the passenger door.

I use the term "sound" guy but apparently it is much more than just that. The crew has to run as fast and be where the contestants are every mile. Their only break is the pit stops. They are the first line of protection for the team. I am not sure but they may switch up teams to crews every so often so they don't get comfortable with a crew or a team accusing the crew of being too slow.

Not sure but I think they have to make arrangements for their crew on flights. They don't have to sit together and I doubt the crew is restricted by the "no first class" rule. They have some equipment to lug around anyway and may need the space afforded by first class. Dave would be the ultimate authority on this question.

As for the entire entorage it is larger than people know. They have security set up along the planned routes. They have to have people in place probably a few days in advance to set up detours and roadblocks. Since there is no definite timeline for teams to be at a particular place at a particular time then a detailed plan really can't be scheduled like a sitcom or movie. I think just the logistics of putting the show together gives it the rights to the word "Amazing."

As for customs I have no idea. Since the teams seem to be bunched up at airports I would have to assume that the airport is aware of what is going on and gives "The Amazing Race" a little leeway as to customs. The teams are not going to carrying contraband or anything out of a country - why would they? If you remember the McCarran airport in Las Vegas at the beginning of TAR2 they got a little upset with people running through the airport with camera crews in hand (of course this was post 9/11). They already have security and the approval of the airport well in advance. And frankly many airports do not have the same security precautions we are used to in the US.
    Last edited by rssrara; 08-01-2004 at 01:58 PM.

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by b00tyc00per
    A question about how big the camera crew is and what impact it has on getting airline/bus tickets?
    As mentioned above, the crew is two - a cameraman and a sound man. They travel with the team always, except pit stops. Buying tickets on any form of transportation (train, plane, bus, boat, etc.) involves getting 4 seats - a team cannot take a particular flight/whatever if there are not 4 seats available. In cars and taxis the seating arrangement is always the same (team on driver's side, in back seat if a taxi, in front & back if driving). There are many other production and crew that work each leg, but the only ones a team needs to worry about are their crew.

Wondering if the crew gets to fly 1st class while the team flies economy during packed flights?
    Only if an airline sold a team 4 seats - 2 in economy, 2 in 1st class - but all for economy price. The crew gets the upgrade before any of the team. (The logic being that 1st class can go back into coach to film, but coach can't always go forward into 1st class.) You cannot buy any tickets except economy priced tickets.

Also, a question about customs. I wondering how much of an impact this has on teams getting through to connecting flights or out of the airport?
    Very little, actually. I didn't notice any of the customs people making exceptions for us, but all teams spent about the same amount of time going through customs.

Dave

FORT Fan
    Dave,

Is the team responsible for buying non flight tickets out of their allotment at the beginning of each leg? I could understand cab fare since that is not a seat purchase. But trains, buses, etc?

A lot of times you see teams at a train or airline counter and they say two, not four, tickets please Are they asked to say that by the crew

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by rssrara
    Is the team responsible for buying non flight tickets out of their allotment at the beginning of each leg? I could understand cab fare since that is not a seat purchase. But trains, buses, etc?
    Everything except airline tickets comes out of the start-of-leg money. Thus, buse, cab, train tickets, and boats are required to come from the money they provide at the leg start. There are occasions when the producers arrange a particular form of transport (i.e. - the gondolas in Venice in TAR4) that are pre-paid, but otherwise it's your responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingRaceMan
    A lot of times you see teams at a train or airline counter and they say two, not four, tickets please Are they asked to say that by the crew
    If you see them asking for 2, then they're probably saying something like, "they need 2 (pointing to crew) and we need 2 tickets to XXX". You only see the 'we need 2' part. We were told just to ask for tickets, "We need tickets to XXX" and when they ask how many we would say 4...

Dave
    Last edited by TAR4 ATC Dave; 08-01-2004 at 11:48 PM.

Leo
    Premium Member
    One question about the airline tickets: does it apply to the crew that goes with each team as well (i.e., do the cameraman and soundman have to fly coach as well)?

cool, thanks dave

Leo
    Premium Member
    Never mind, ignore my question, it was answered already.

Ooops.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast