+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why did many teams chose the smaller teammate in the caviar challenge?

Why did many teams chose the smaller teammate in the caviar challenge?

It seems counter-intuitive to me that any team would choose its smallest team member for the eating contest. Barring food allergies and funky metabolism rates, it would seem logical that the person who uses up more calories just sitting there would be the better choice for a bulk food challenge. The first two teams put their smallest members in, and they got spanked by Chip and Kim, who put their largest team member at the table. I'm not trying to take anything away from Chip by pointing this out - he was a fish-egg-eatin' machine - but I don't think that any of the teams who put the smaller member in actually improved their relative positions in the race.

Any insights, anyone?

I don't know if this is at all right, but it appeared to me that although they knew they had to eat caviar, they didn't realize how much. I remember there were several teams who were really surprised by how much caviar they needed to eat. It seemed like they were not in the room when they made the decision.
    If the quantity would not have been so large (2kilos?) teams would not have had problems.

I'm assuming this is the reason they put the smaller person in, not realizing that it would just be an massive amount of fish eggs.

That would make sense, and I think you're right about not knowing the amount of caviar before making the decision.

All they were told was to select the person who "has a taste for the good life." So that's what they had to go by.

They must decide who will take on the challenge based on who "have a taste for the high life". They didn't know what it was going to be.

Who knows what went through their minds. I recalled someone said, "I'm hungry." It MIGHT be the first two guys thought their partners were hungry and would like to have a little taste for the high life, that they can't give in their daily life. They could very well be misled by the phrase.

FORT Fan
    I'd like to ask, what happen or what kind of punishment the team gets if one cannot finish the roadblock and let the other team member to do it again/to finish the roadblock? It seems no teams in the history in amazing race ever do this.

Quote Originally Posted by He3x
    They must decide who will take on the challenge based on who "have a taste for the high life". They didn't know what it was going to be.

Who knows what went through their minds. I recalled someone said, "I'm hungry." It MIGHT be the first two guys thought their partners were hungry and would like to have a little taste for the high life, that they can't give in their daily life. They could very well be misled by the phrase.
    Good point ...

I don't think anything in the clue gave anyone the idea that they would have to eat a whole lot of something. I think most of the guys (Chip excluded) thought they were doing something nice for the woman in their life by letting them take the "high life" Roadblock. Who would have thought the producers would be making anyone eat 2 kilos of caviar! YUK!
    "The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Didn't Exist!" --- Verbil Kint, The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by 2ctheworld
    Who would have thought the producers would be making anyone eat 2 kilos of caviar!
    Well, no one could have expected that specifically, but when has a Roadblock ever been easy?

First of all, it was actually 1 kilo of caviar (that translates into 2.2 pounds of caviar....) nasty stuff. I like a LITTLE caviar, on a cracker mindyou, but 2 pounds of it would be a bit much...

Still it's mind over matter... really... and yeah maybe the guys could've done it faster, maybe not...even the one brother looked like he was about to throw up when he finished the last spoon But maybe the guys wouldn't have been such sissies about it & just kept eating... (probably so...
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Quote Originally Posted by gaebolga
    Well, no one could have expected that specifically, but when has a Roadblock ever been easy?
    Even having seen just one season of AR, you would know this. Any clue mentioning anything close to "taste" should warn you that some kind of gross-out food challenge is possible. Sure, it could be "just eat one bite of this live worm." But why take chances? Why on earth would you put a 110 lb. beauty pageant contestant (not known for massive food consumption) in the hot seat? Her stomach is probably the size of a thimble.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast