+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why did many teams chose the smaller teammate in the caviar challenge?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by weezerette
    I don't know if this is at all right, but it appeared to me that although they knew they had to eat caviar, they didn't realize how much. I remember there were several teams who were really surprised by how much caviar they needed to eat. It seemed like they were not in the room when they made the decision.
    If the quantity would not have been so large (2kilos?) teams would not have had problems.

I'm assuming this is the reason they put the smaller person in, not realizing that it would just be an massive amount of fish eggs.

Most of that sounds right, except that it was only one kilo (slightly more than 2 pounds).

Funny how nothing was wrong with Colin's throat when the clue asked "who has a sweet tooth"? and that Brandon didn't hestitate to volunteer at the chocolate factory. I hope Christie, Nicole and Charla spewed all over their teammates.

If I remember correctly, there is a eating champion that said the larger people usually do not do as well as small people because they are more likey to have a band of fat around their midsection that limits the expansion of their stomache. Without the limitation, speed and volume prevail. I think it is a matter of mind over matter for any of the players. Those who were determined to plow through did no matter their size. The others were convinced they could not do it as soon as they saw the bowl.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

TCW
    For those that struggled with it, most likely it's texture or smell or taste brought to mind some memory that re-inforced the negative nature of the task. As has been said, to swallow 1 kilo of fish eggs is really a simple case of mind over matter. You have to ignore what your mind and your body is telling you and just do it.

Of course, that is much easier said than done for many people. My wife, who went through over 30 hours of back labor with our first child and still wanted another, can hardly stand to be stuck with a needle to have blood drawn or change a nasty diaper. Her ability to be overwhelmed by her emotions and senses would make it extremely difficult for her to eat something she would feel is gross. I, on the other hand, would hate it, but I would do it. Simply because I know it wouldn't hurt me, and it needs to be done.

People can be very different in that way. I think that's why you saw Charla doing the food task as her partner knew it was going to be nasty. You could see it on her face. She didn't want any part of it. Same thing with Colin. You could see in his face he new it was bad and wanted no part of it. I assume this isn't the first time he's left the bulk of the responsibility to someone else in his relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    One reason is that some teams do try to balance who does the roadblocks. It's very rare for just one person to do many consecutive roadblocks; the last one I can remember who did something like that was Flo and Zach from TAR 3. Based on the clue, it did seem that this would be a less physical event, something that the teams thought the girls could do.
    actually last TAR, the all female team of Tian and Jaree, one of them (I was never able to figure out who was who) did all, and I mean ALL, roadblocks.
    They lost in India, 4th or 5th I believe.

K

Quote Originally Posted by TCW
    People can be very different in that way. I think that's why you saw Charla doing the food task as her partner knew it was going to be nasty. You could see it on her face. She didn't want any part of it. Same thing with Colin. You could see in his face he new it was bad and wanted no part of it. I assume this isn't the first time he's left the bulk of the responsibility to someone else in his relationship.

I agree with this. I could make it through this task, but it would be really hard. Much of this is about mind over matter.

However, I don't think you can discount the sheer volume of food that had to be consumed. I'm not a very big woman so eating two pounds of anything would be a real challenge (ice cream would be tough, caviar REALLY, REALLY tough). I think this was the problem of the pageant girls.

Also, everyone who got stuck eating looked really ill at the pit stop. I think the ice cream analogy applies: ice cream (sick) and caviar (DOG sick).
    Shaken, not stirred.

I've had caviar before. It's not that bad

I've had cavier before, it isn't that bad

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingRaceMan
    I've had caviar before. It's not that bad
    Yeah, but you've probably had it by the spoonful, not the bucketfull. Plus, if it was being served in that quantity, it probably wasn't a very GOOD caviar, and what you may have had in a smaller quantity may have been.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

thats true, small serving

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast