+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone noticed that there is no bunching up this year??

LG.
    Quote Originally Posted by nairb247
    Now on the other hand it might be cool to see a race with no pitstops or bunching and just let them go. First team to hit all the route markers and cross the finish line wins. HMMMMMMMMMM.
    That would be impossible for Phil to film, though, because he needs to get to all of the challenges before the teams and explain them AND he also needs to meet every single team at each pit stop. If one team was a whole episode ahead of another team, Phil just can't be at that many places at once. Unless we clone him . . .

Also, it is so much more entertaining to have the teams close than to have a team out alone by themselves or one team so far out of it. A couple seasons ago Dennis and Dad (sorry, can't remember Dad's name) were completely out of the picture and ended up doing a cool tank driving fast forward, but there was no way they could catch up. It was slightly amusing in Season One when Team Guido got so far behind the winners and runners-up that they were still in Alaska when the winner was announced, but it would have been more exciting if they had been in the subway race across NYC with Brennan and Rob and the Separated Parents (again, sorry about the names, I really did like that team).
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nairb247

Now on the other hand it might be cool to see a race with no pitstops or bunching and just let them go. First team to hit all the route markers and cross the finish line wins. HMMMMMMMMMM.
    That would be interesting to watch although it could get boring if one team got to far ahead to soon. You should check out Ecco Challenge. Teams of four race through a course (the last one was in Figi) and have to complete tasks, however it is up to the teams to navigate through the jungle and decide when/if to stop to eat/sleep. If a team falls behind too far they can be eliminated. There is also rescue for teams that are injured or just want to quit. Out of 81 teams only 10 finished.

FORT Fan
    IMO, there has been some differences. Not sure what time they actually reached the restaurant... but it seemed pretty late. They could easily have 'hours of operation' at the restaurant, and everyone will be bunched up Still thinking of TAR4's Venice episode, that episode was really insanely crazy with the bunchings.

FORT Newbie
    One thing I noticed last night while watching the teams run around looking for flights, was that there didn't seem to be pre-arranged flights for the teams. They all had to go find their own flight and thus wait on standby if necessary. I don't remember that happening in previous season's.
    ~Robyn~

When I originally started this thread, I wasn't really thinking of bunching up at airports and ferrys because, as a previous poster said, those who arrive at such locations first still have an advantage by being able (in theory) to purchase better tickets or perhaps tickets on a early flight/ride. Oh course this doesn't always pan out in practice (think Jim & Marsha Marsha Marsha)

I was thinking more about some hole-in-the-wall restaurant or shop they reach in the middle of the night where everyone ends up sleeping on the sidewalk or finding a hotel for a few hours, and where technically there may be a line to enter, but pragmatically, the difference in time between teams is negligible.

There were no such weights in the Russian episode. The hockey players, dancers, etc., were apparently going to play/dance all night until the teams all came and left. Those hockey fans must have been there for hours to see Brandon and Nicole, Mirna/Smirna, and the older folks play.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by robynbird
    One thing I noticed last night while watching the teams run around looking for flights, was that there didn't seem to be pre-arranged flights for the teams. They all had to go find their own flight and thus wait on standby if necessary. I don't remember that happening in previous season's.
    Having the teams find their own flights is the usual method on TAR. A few examples of similar "long haul" flights from past seasons:
    • TAR2 - Brazil to Cape Town, South Africa
    • TAR3 - Cancun to London
    • TAR4 - Cairns, Australia to Hawaii
    None of these flights were pre-arranged. And, just as we saw in this last episode, problems with arranging flights led to the elimination of the Gutsy Grannies in TAR2, Dennis & Andrew in TAR3, and David & Jeff in TAR4.

Pre-arranged flights are typically only done in the first episode, or when they need to do charters to more out-of-the-way areas (such as Coober Pedy in TAR2).

Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    There were no such weights in the Russian episode.
    True, but in all fairness, St. Petersburg is a major city, and there's a good chance that those places would have been open anyway.

Unless they are going to a truly remote locale, as examples from previous TARs have been given, I think we'd most like to see them have to arrange their own transport. So, "transport bunching" really cannot be avoided. Whether it be ferries (aka "boats"), trains, buses, planes, etc., those bunchings are just at the mercy of whatever the schedules are.

But, "task bunching" is what most of us (I think anyway) disliked. Sometimes there is no reason the producers could not have arranged 24hr operations at tasks, but don't. For some other tasks, though, I can understand the limited hours. Couldn't really spot the flag on the Arc from the Eiffel Tower at midnight, could they? And, I even (sort of, in a small way) understand hours like at the mask ball in Venice. If there weren't a bunch of teams then messing up would not be as large a penalty. [I do NOT however agree with the placement of said artificially-bunched-RoadBlock so close to the end of the leg, but that is my opinion and beside the point of this topic.] And, why couldn't they walk through the sewers of Vienna at night, it's underground, it's dark anyway. And, let them carry the instruments around Vienna at night. And on and on.

TAR4 started out okay, even allowing the snow rafting in the dead of night (surely not normal hours for that company). But, then tasks quickly started almost all having hours. The bridge in Venice for crying out loud, had hours posted on it. They couldn't get their first clue in Venice until an artificially imposed time was reached. There were several teams that literally waited around a clue box outside on a bridge. Those are silly bunchings.

So far I like TAR5's lack of task bunching. I can live with the transport bunching. Like others have said, this transport bunching still gives early arrivers *some* advantage. I won't be surprised to see some artificial task bunching coming up in the remainder of TAR5, but at least it has been improved.

edited: fixed typo
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

FORT Fan
    Yup...and those 'senseless bunching' (as quoted from another poster) appeared again in this leg. Hours of operation just to go up a lift to a helipad and take a clue. Well, lucky for the Moms.

AndI'mAddictedToPhil! HiMyNameIsSara's Avatar
    It makes me wonder if they alter the hours according to what is going on with the game. Maybe they realized that the Moms missed the flight and would have a 6 hour deficit to make up and then decided to impose "hours" for the helipad clue. (That just so happened to end RIGHT before the teams got there--I'm sure the producers knew there was no way the teams would get there before 6:00 with such limited flights from Kenya to Dubai). It would be hard for them to make the episode exciting and suspenseful if we all knew the Moms were 6 hours behind the whole time. It's a little fishy to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast