+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 7/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    Was there a Fast Forward? I was under the impression that only two legs of the competition would include that this season.
    I haven't heard of any rule change regarding the Fast Forward. In the past, they haven't mentioned it if no one goes for it. With the departure times of the teams so close together (less than an hour between 1st and last), it doesn't surprise me that no one felt it necessary at this early stage of the race. FYI, the CBS website says "No Team used the Fast Forward on this leg", implying that there was one available.
    I don't think there was a Yield either.
    Again, the CBS website says "No Team found the Yield on this leg." (Emphasis added.)

Interesting choice of words. It implies that, not only must a team find it, but that the team forced to Yield must also. Otherwise, how would they even know that the Yield had been used on them? (In the first episode, the Yield was situated directly on the path to the butcher shop, so it would have been unavoidable.)

Speculating: I think the Yield may have been located at either the ferry or the Recoleta cemetery. After all, it couldn't have been at the Detour, as there would be no way for any one team to know which option another team had taken. (Using the Yield on "Tango" when the targeted team opted for "Perro" would be useless.) And, if the Yield had been located at the Roadblock, it would have been (a) fairly easy to find, as there weren't a lot of distractions around; and (b) almost certainly used by either Chip & Kim or Kami & Karli, as both teams knew they were neck-and-neck at the back of the pack.

Until we actually see the Yield in play, we're just going to have to guess at exactly how it works.

From the CBS web site:

Each leg of the race has a YIELD point. Teams must stop at the YIELD location to do two things before continuing along the course: 1) They must check to see if they have been YIELDed by another team; 2) If no Team has been YIELDed, they must decide whether to use the YIELD or not. If a Team is YIELDed, they must turn over the hourglass and wait until all the sand runs out before they may continue with the race. A Team may use the YIELD to stop another Team only once throughout the entire course of the race. However, there is no limit to the number of times that a Team can be YIELDed by the other Teams.
    It sounds like the Yield shows up somewhere where each team can't miss it, and they have to stop, check to see if they've been yielded, and announce whether they will use the yield. Since no team has used it so far, they've been using the broadcast time for more exciting stuff.

At some point some team will use it and we'll finally see what it's all about.

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar
    Ok then I dont get it. TAR is implying that they MUST find it and they say that the yield was not found this leg. I get the yield now and there is always a fast foward but a lot of times in the beginning if no one is substantially behind they dont use it.

Just chiming in to say THANK YOU to NCDave for your analysis. I find myself looking foward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCDave
    It appeared that Alison/Donny got a taxi while Chip and Kami were having their standoff. It also appeared that they were in the open countryside while the other two teams were still in town. Thye must have had some sort of trouble on the way to arrive at the Roadblock last.

So why did they lose? They were comfortably in 4th place after the detour, but

1. They chose to take a bus rather than a taxi to the cattle country.

2. The bus left earlier but turned out to be slower than the other bus.

3. The left first in the taxi but had some sort of trouble on that final taxi ride.

Their biggest problem was their decision to take the bus. But if the bus hadn't been slow OR the taxi hadn't been slow, they probably would have survived.
    It was kind of unclear, but I don't think they took their taxi from the same place as the twins and Chip/Kim. I think they got off the bus at one of the stops before the final destination and took a longer taxi ride from that stop.

(At least that's how it looked when I watched it again today. They showed Alison and Donny on the bus. They're upset because it keeps stopping. She says that they still have enough money for a taxi. They get off the bus, and she comments on how fast the driver is going through the countryside.)
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by NCDave
    It sounds like the Yield shows up somewhere where each team can't miss it...
    That's what I thought previously. But why, then, does the CBS website say "No Team found the Yield on this leg"? If it couldn't be missed, wouldn't they say (as they do for the Fast Forward) that "No Team used the Yield on this leg"? The word found adds a different element to the game and makes the Yield more interesting, imo.

If a team has to actually find the Yield in order to use it, it's much better than just having it show up where they can't miss it. Thinking strategically, a team would have to decide whether it's better to spend precious time looking for a Yield or just continue racing. What if searching for the Yield caused a team to lose whatever advantage it might possibly have?

For example: If Team B is breathing down Team A's neck, does Team A risk taking the time to find the Yield to delay them? Team B might pass them during their search for the Yield, rendering the Yield useless and leaving Team A in a worse position than they would be otherwise.

Personally, I wasn't too crazy about the addition of the Yield to TAR5, as it seemed too powerful a weapon for one team to wield against another. But if it has the ability to backfire on the Yielders, it becomes a much more intriguing part of the race.
    At some point some team will use it and we'll finally see what it's all about.
    Agreed!

ETA: Thanks, once again, for your recap, NCDave! You're obviously as obsessive about TAR as I am!
    Last edited by LAGuy; 07-15-2004 at 02:25 AM.

LA Guy - it also sounds like the teams have to check the yield to make sure they haven't been yielded against. Otherwise, how would they know? So that makes it sound like something they all pass or see. It is odd there was not one mention of either the FF or the Y.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    LA Guy - it also sounds like the teams have to check the yield to make sure they haven't been yielded against. Otherwise, how would they know? So that makes it sound like something they all pass or see.
    Yeah, I know. That's precisely what made the use of the word "found" on the website so interesting to me.

In the first leg, the Yield was placed in the direct path of the racers. So finding it really wasn't an issue. (For the first leg, the website says: "Alison & Donny were first to find the Yield on this leg, but they elected not to use it.") It's possible that it might've been placed there in order to introduce this new concept to the viewers and that it wouldn't be so obvious in other legs (as was apparently the case this week).

As I said, I like the idea that there might be more strategy involved in opting for the Yield (other than the fact that you can only use it once). But I don't know how it would work if it has to be found, either. As you pointed out, how would the yielded team know that they had been yielded against if they didn't also find the Yield point?

I had assumed, with what little we were told previously, that the Yield might be located virtually side-by-side with a cluebox. Say, when you got to the Detour or Roadblock, the Yield would be sitting right there and you could force a trailing team to wait before they could begin the task. Based on the second leg, that's doesn't seem to be the case. We never saw a Yield -- and neither did the racers, if we go by what the website says.

I don't expect them to use precious airtime to talk about Yields or Fast Forwards that no one uses. But to say that no team found the Yield is a different matter. (I know I'm harping on the word "found" -- but that is the crux of the matter. Who knows? Maybe all this speculating is due to nothing more than just a poor choice of words by the website writers.)

As both I & NCDave have said, until we actually see the Yield come into play, we won't have a good idea of how it really works. But I'm much more interested in it now than I was previously.
    Last edited by LAGuy; 07-15-2004 at 04:14 AM.

I don't think it's inappropriate to zoom in on the language. TAR is pretty consistent about this stuff. Like, when the final clue says "the last team will be eliminated" you know it's not a NEL leg.

Very odd about being the first team to "find" the yield. I remember something else I heard somewhere on this site - didn't it say a team uses the yield, then has to wait for the team they picked to arrive before they can leave the yield? The targeted team would then wait additional time. I just remember thinking that it couldn't be right, because why would that be worthwhile? Only in the most dire, down-to-two-or-be-eliminated situations.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I remember something else I heard somewhere on this site - didn't it say a team uses the yield, then has to wait for the team they picked to arrive before they can leave the yield? The targeted team would then wait additional time. I just remember thinking that it couldn't be right, because why would that be worthwhile? Only in the most dire, down-to-two-or-be-eliminated situations.
    Wow. If that's true, it would be very hard to justify using it. Since the amount of time can vary, it's possible that a team could wait for another team to start the yield and the yield would turn out to be only a few minutes long. If the team that had the yield used on them were a fast team, there's no doubt that they would then pass the team that had to wait to use the yield.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread