+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Which team will use the "yield" first?

It will be interesting to see what the Yield's all about--once it's finally used. It was discussed quite a bit during the preseason, so someone must use it sometime. Otherwise, it'll be much ado about nothing (and might wind up that way anyway).

A major reason not to use it is that it would make the team being yielded pretty mad. If you're trying to build good will, you might tend to avoid it--unless you're sure the team you yield would be eliminated. Of course, if teams are mad at each other already, it wouldn't make much difference. Since Charla and Mirna are gone, and Chip and Kami are reconciled, there doesn't seem to be any animosity among the teams left.

Another thing is the timing. You can't use the yield just any time. If that were the case, it would be very handy, for example, to make another team miss a plane or ferry. But they occur at certain places in each leg.

We've only seen the yield twice:

-During episode 1 Alison and Donny found the Yield during the beef carry. The five teams on the last ferry were probably pretty close by the time they reached it. They didn't know what else they had to do and how long it would take (they still had the detour at the blue hotel).

-We also saw it on the Aurora in St. Petersburg. They had just arrived and had both the detour and roadblock to do. (Besides, Bob and Joyce were well behind and their elimination was pretty likely at that point.)

In each of these cases, the Yield occurred early enough that there was plenty of race left in the leg. Using it wouldn't assure a team's elimination and might make an enemy. It would be hard to decide whether to use if since they don't know what's coming up next.

I also don't remember seeing how long the wait is. It's possible each Yield is a different time. Perhaps the times aren't long enough to make that big a difference.

FORT Fan
    It would be interesting if a team X wanted a trailing team Y to yeild and the Team Y did not find it. Would Team Y be disqualified (or at least be forced to go back and wait the specified time)? I think that the latter would be the situation.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rssrara
    It would be interesting if a team X wanted a trailing team Y to yeild and the Team Y did not find it. Would Team Y be disqualified (or at least be forced to go back and wait the specified time)? I think that the latter would be the situation.
    Hmmm, i think their camera man would notify them ? or in clueboxes a note will tell them to go. Maybe, I don't know....
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

I think the yield would be use at least once during the remainder of the season. Otherwise I don't think CBS would even bother to introduce it and would try to hide it from our screens. Just my thought.

I think it reads on the description of the yield on TAR official site that each team "must find the yield". I would come to believe that the yield is in an impossible-to-miss place very near a cluebox, as we saw with the pictures of it on the Aurora. Each team has to check whether they've been yielded, and to do that they must find the yield.

-Dave_B
    Colin and Christie or bust!

Update: Avatar = pic of me now!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B
    I think it reads on the description of the yield on TAR official site that each team "must find the yield". I would come to believe that the yield is in an impossible-to-miss place very near a cluebox, as we saw with the pictures of it on the Aurora. Each team has to check whether they've been yielded, and to do that they must find the yield.

-Dave_B
    To clear it all up make the yield be at a route marker. OR, better, for more drama, put it at the pit stop and delay the team's starting time. Instead of having the big marker place it as a yellow note in their travel packet that they open. And it must tell them which team forced the yield.

[QUOTE=rssrara]To clear it all up make the yield be at a route marker. OR, better, for more drama, put it at the pit stop and delay the team's starting time.

That is a GREAT idea! But how would it be decided who gets to use it?
    FP

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B

-Dave_B
    Thats what I thought too, Phil said that in the beginning. According to the TAR official site at cbs.com, it says only leg 1's and leg's 4 yield were found but no one used it and all the other leg's yields were not found at all. Oh well, more FF's next season please heh
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

FORT Regular

Yield, anyone?

Am i missing something here, or has anyone ever wondered what happened to this supposedly new twist that has yet to function...? Has they taken out the yield? Did the teams decide that it wasnt worthwhile using it? Do they have one every single episode? Wont they at least showcase it if they do? This is getting pretty boring with only two FF for this season and ppl got eliminated in such close competition, when they (the catching-up team) could have saved their ass if they can make use of the Yield or the FF....some enlightenment, maybe?

Maybe the remaining teams all made an agreement to just forget the yield even exists and never use it, so they can race on a level playing ground. But I doubt that, since when there's a million on the line they'll take any advantage they can get. Maybe all the teams who COULD use it (every team except the last place team) just haven't found it necessary yet...

I agree though, I hope to see it soon, I want to know how long this "pre-determined amount of time" that they have to wait is...hopefully not 10 minutes or some uselessly short time.

I have a sneaky hunch the Twins are going to get yielded this leg...they've been hanging out in last place or 2nd to last place the entire race, and I think this leg is when the other teams will sieze the opportunity to finally be rid of one more team in their way.

-Dave_B
    Last edited by Dave_B; 08-29-2004 at 02:52 PM.
    Colin and Christie or bust!

Update: Avatar = pic of me now!

+ Reply to Thread