+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: 7/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Gotta disagree here. Charla played it up deliberately--quite a bit. Although it's easy to turn that into admiration that she's taking something (pity) that people are going to feel anyway and using it to her advantage. But there's no denying she's using it to the max, playing it to the hilt you might say
    I didn't really notice her using it that much, if at all. I only noticed it when she asked someone to help carry her bag. But anyone could have done that, and it was not like she said "I am small, I need your help," she just asked for their help.

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    I didn't really notice her using it that much, if at all. I only noticed it when she asked someone to help carry her bag. But anyone could have done that, and it was not like she said "I am small, I need your help," she just asked for their help.
    There was an entire sequence where she and Mirna interviewed on this and talked about how she planed to use this as a deliberate strategy. Out of their mouthes, not my keyboard.

It was during the sequence when they got the car to pick them up. They spoke particularly about using people's "fascination" with Charla and their assumption that she "needed help" to get favors done.

As I said, I'm not sure I dissaprove (in fact, I'm almost sure that if I do it's more Mirna's "she's special" spin on it I dislike and not Charla's more pragmatic view), but I won't pretend she's "above" it.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Regular
    New here...found it odd that there were no "Alpha Male" teams this season...

i think the twins have a knack for missing clues...and i really wouldnt be surprised if they pull a Heather and Eve in one of the Legs...
    Last edited by Quinito; 07-07-2004 at 01:57 AM.
    Kick some ass...get some later...

TheGeorgian! Welcome to the site.

I thought this first episode was fun to watch. The first is always more manic and tense, just because it's generally so tight right off the bat. I obviously don't have a great feel for all the teams just yet, but I think I'll enjoy Chip and Kim. Jim (the old army guy) is really tough . . . 25 stitches!? Egads. Of course, a lot of those were internal. I was glad he and Marsha just made it in; they deserve a "push through the pain" award!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Donny: "Maybe we have to take a boat there."
    Alison: "Yes, that's what a FERRY is!"
    I laughed so hard when that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom

It was during the sequence when they got the car to pick them up. They spoke particularly about using people's "fascination" with Charla and their assumption that she "needed help" to get favors done.

As I said, I'm not sure I dissaprove (in fact, I'm almost sure that if I do it's more Mirna's "she's special" spin on it I dislike and not Charla's more pragmatic view), but I won't pretend she's "above" it.
    I don't disapprove at all; it's no different than using good looks to get attention from the locals that helps you out, or if the older folks used their age to gain sympathy.
    Also, some people were complaining about this team getting help; I never heard anyone tell the teams they couldn't get help. It's kind of like, in one of the past seasons (sorry, I can't remember which) the teams nearly killed themselves while one pair rode ahead in a cab; no one had said they couldn't ride!
    So far, I don't like ...
    1.Alison/Donnie, and I never even saw Big Brother
    2. The pizza guys seem like jerks to me
    3. The Christian models...he's an idiot, she has the makings of a crybaby.

I do like ...
    1) The bowling Moms; they aren't mean to anyone,( and I like to see women shaped kind of like me still getting out there and being competetive.)
    2) Dad and daughter; I hope the stitches don't give dad too much trouble.
    3)The Texans
    I don't pick these three teams to win, I just like them the best so far.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Rab
    I'm pretty ticked off the only team I really liked were Dennis and Erika and they were the first ones eliminated. Now it's the cousins or twins. Everybody else is meh. -_-

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGeorgian
    New here...found it odd that there were no "Alpha Male" teams this season...

That's EXACTLY what I thought, too! I assumed it's because the teams with the two, strong (alpha) male types either won or were in the top 3 -every season!!! I think they must know that they are at an advantage. Not meant to be a flame to any white males out there but I read a study once that said white males are better at quick handed games (like video games, obstacles) because they have quicker reflexes and less impulse control. In TAR, you have to be quick!

And about the Charla/Mirna thing, she was definetly playing it up for all it's worth (like Krom mentioned). They did have the entire sequence where she said she would deliberately play it up for all she could get and that people would automatically help her because they feel sorry for her. Plus, I thought it was kind of WEIRD how she went up to the cab driver after they had stopped the cab and said, "Are you going to help me!!!?" Seemed completely random of her to do that. Like she was making a big deal that the cab driver stopped as if he just stopped because he wanted to help a little person. Know what I mean?

It sounds soooooo exciting can't wait to watch it tonight

+ Reply to Thread