+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's up with only one all-male team???

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I agree with hepcat, NCDave, and what I said in my previous posts. Yes, TAR is interesting when it comes down to two teams racing to the pitstop and they're neck and neck (like Jon/Kelly and Millie/Chuck), and you have no idea who's going to make it first. But there isn't enough of that. The show is about testing relationships, and seeing if you can make it work in a stressful situation together. Do you really think that Frank/Margarita, Tara/Wil, and Lenny/Karyn were cast because the producers thought they were the best racers out there? Do you think Mark Burnett casts his contestants because he thinks they really stand the best chance of surviving, over everyone else who applied? This is a reality show, and it's about entertainment. Their casting probably relies on not who the best racer will be, but who will provide the best drama, tension, entertaining and heartfelt moments, and then throw a couple of teams in like David/Jeff who are just there to fill space. Maybe they could have cast one more all male team (more in the direction of the ATC's vs. Derek/Drew and the alpha male clan) but I'm happy to see more all-girl teams.

I wish they'd steer away from the dating teams, but I do like this cast and think it's the best they've had in awhile. Looking back on some of the female teams, Pat/Brenda might have made a different impression had the lasted longer. I did start to like them, but never saw enough of them to make up my mind. Same thing with Gina/Sylvia and Deirdre/Hillary. Kim/Leslie defiantly brought tension, and they're feud with Paul/Amie might have made for some interesting moments had they lasted past the second leg. When I first saw TAR back during it's first season, I really thought all the older and out of shape teams would be gone first, followed by those in a relationship crisis. I do agree that some teams, no matter how many times they race, will make it very far, but there have been teams in the past who really surprised me, either by going out early or staying in for longer than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I think the most interesting thing about TAR is that it is more like a clue hunt with a budget than an ironman stamina race. I'm a little surprised at the makeup of the teams this time, but I'll take it over a passel of nothing but athletes.

I could go on for days. Did I mention TAR's my favorite reality show?
    I agree. While TAR is tied for my favorite show with Survivor, there have been times when I felt it was skewed too much toward the more athletic teams. I can't think of a specific incident, but I also hate it when one of the less physically powerful pairs manages to win a race segment by a good margain, only to reach the checkpoint and find that
    A) there will be no elimination on this leg...AAArgh!
    B)The next leg begins at a business that doesn't open until an hour so late that all the teams are standing there waiting when it opens.
    And so it comes down to yet another foot race. Hopefully this year's team makeup will make these things less of a problem
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Looking over the post, I did not realize how unbalanced it had been last year between all-female and all-male teams. If CBS is just trying to correct that imbalance, I can't see anything wrong with that. Also, if they want to load up on super attractive woman this year (which they apparently have), I can't complain about that either.

The only point I really wanted to make in my original post (and it didn't come out well), was that I feared that CBS is/was "tweaking" TAR to try to gain a broader audience, by shifting from mostly physically fit and experienced teams to less talented teams. I would rather watch more capable people than watch the 80-year-old grannies struggle with getting out of a taxi. That was just painful.

Give us exotic locales. Give us close races. Give us (for the ladies) Phil. Even give us some trash talk between teams (I love that!). Just don't give us "Oprah's Amazing Race." I just don't want TAR to sell out.

Eric

IMO: It would be more "fair" to have a m/f team than a m/m or f/f team. The males could do all the heavy lifting/strength value and the females can do the other stuff. (I say this because last season, the females had a really hard time with the wheel barrows full of something and then having to throw it over theirs heads in to a dump truck)

Now, maybe I've been watching too many reality tv shows but it would be kinda cool if all of the sudden they would have to switch teammates.

I don't mind Male/Male teams, I just mind R/C type Male/Male teams where they have such a physical advantage it does give them an unfair advantage on many challenges. I guess you could argue that other teams have strengths on more of the mental challenges but I don't think R/C had any handicap on any of those challenges either. Chris and Alex were similar. But I loved Jon/Al, Steve/Dave and Ken/Girard and there were a lot of others.

Still, overall I think they came up with some pretty interesting teams. I would have liked to see a team or two in their 30's. I think everyone is either in their 20's or 40 and older. There is only so much you can do with 11 teams. I will be just as excited as in all other years to see who can persevere and win the Amazing Race. Boo to all of the recruited teams though.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    B)The next leg begins at a business that doesn't open until an hour so late that all the teams are standing there waiting when it opens.
    And so it comes down to yet another foot race. Hopefully this year's team makeup will make these things less of a problem
    I have heard that they do that so one team won't get too much of an advantage over the others. The last thing I want to see is a team that has so much of a lead they stay in front for the rest of the race. Last year had way too much bunching, though, at airports and attractions, so hopefully they've improved on that. It didn't seem to matter how much of a lead a team had, it would be gone by the middle of the episode.

esmattynd, I understand what your saying and half agree with you. The last thing I want TAR to turn into is another show with all athletic twenty something's who were cast simply because they're eye candy but have the IQ of a jar of peanut butter, or contestants who have never seen the show but just want to be on TV (I'll go watch Big Brother or Survivor if I want to see that.) One thing I like about TAR is that they are pretty good about casting across the board- picking older, out of shape teams who probably wouldn't stand a chance getting cast elsewhere. They have more diversity as far as casting goes, at least to me. But part of the fun is watching teams who have never traveled outside the US or done anything extreme like bungee jumping or rappeling getting to do that for the first time, and it really makes you want to root for a team like that over one who's been out of the US more times than they can count and have no fear about anything. I'm not sure what you mean by experienced or capable, but look back at some of the teams who traveled to cities that they had either lived in or traveled to frequently. Joe/Bill, who lived in Paris for two years, were so overconfident that other teams managed to get ahead of them. Then Frank/Margarita lost the race in their hometown of NYC. And then there was Tara/Wil, who went to Thailand all the time but got lost in Bangkok and were second to last the next leg. And they, too, lost in their hometown of San Francisco (actually, they had some connection to SF, not sure if it was really their hometown or not.) Seeing a bunch of people who know what their doing would get a little boring.

Back to casting, it's about time they finally cast more female teams. Whatever their reasons were for not casting an alpha male team I'm glad they stuck by it. My only complaint is I wish they'd stop casting so many photogenic, aspiring actors/models, and just cast normal people who want to do the show because they like it and don't have any show biz aspirations. That was my biggest complaint last year was too many were in entertainment or wanted to be.

FORT Fogey
    Yeah, I'm rooting for the all girl teams, at least somewhat. I like it when chicks kick butt! That was what was cool about Tian and Jaree, Tian was REALLY tough! I really hoped they'd get farther, but that was always the thing I said about TAR, it really favors the guys. They definitely limited the all guy teams because of that. Gives the girls a chance.

Lil_cutie (it's been a long time )

I'm shocked there is only ONE-male team, and not even such a great looking team either . But like most of the rest said, gives the all-girl teams a better chance of reaching at least the top 3.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_cool
    Lil_cutie (it's been a long time )

I'm shocked there is only ONE-male team, and not even such a great looking team either . But like most of the rest said, gives the all-girl teams a better chance of reaching at least the top 3.
    I think I would love to see some butt action by an all-girl team this season, after last season's kickass teams Tian & Jaree, and not those mixed teams with the girl (*hint*Flo*hint*) using the guy for backup.

Captain of the World
    Lest you all forget R&C and Jeff and Dave were close to being eliminated a couple of times. Timing is everything. R&C & Dave and Jeff did not dominate the entire race, they were however the most consistent after the first couple of rounds. They got on the last flight during the very first leg and could have gone out in leg one. Had they not had an NEL leg Dave and Jeff would have been eliminated in leg 10 as well and if Fog hadn't hurt them R&C would have been gone in leg 11. Kelly and John also lucked out because of an NEL leg.

It just goes to show that one little slip up can kill you.

I do agree that when it comes to challenges they may be physically better. Timing is everything I mean look at Amanda and Chris, first in the very first leg and last in the second leg. Steve and Josh did the same in legs 3 and 4.

As I stated earlier it isn't the drama between teammates that I care so much about but more the drama between teams. Let the teams go at each other. Friends working hard together to get into the heads of other teams is every bit as entertaining (if not more) than couples fighting. I got sick and tired of Millie and Chuck (mainly Millie) and they were my favorite team to start the race. I wasn't big on Kelly and John at first but they grew on me.

Just get teams that will compete hard and the drama of the race itself will drive the show.

Thats all I have for now.
    Never Play Leap Frog With A Unicorn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast