+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast

Thread: Charla & Mirna

It was winter in Russia so it would have been spring/summer in Egypt, yes?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    I would have really liked seeing a timestamp of just when it actually was that they made it to the camel and horse caravan.

The more I think about that, the more I convince myself that the camel clan was prompted to stick around past closing time. The show knows where everyone is, I imagine, and Charla/Mirna were the only ones in a position to take on that particular task that day, other than Colin and Christie, who passed.

There are certain businesses that I can see closing as the clock reaches the specific moment in time indicated for closing, but camel land doesn't fit that image in my mind. Without actual riders in the last 20 minutes or so, they would of been packing up to head out. Charla and Mirna were given a break by the show, IMO, though I can see them completing the task of moving the blocks, even if Charla had to carry the blocks, as well as Mirna on her back.

They DID have a timestamp and C & M had about 3 minutes to get there. The camel workers WERE closing up shop, but at the last second they saw and heard Mirna yelling to WAIT WAIT. There is nothing wrong with this. They were only about 1000 yards away and certainly could make that distance in 3 minutes. I don't think there was any shenanigans going on there.
    FP

LA Model, Part-time Actor
    They just bashed Charla in VH1's Best Month Ever: July. I never did like that show. All the people who comment there seriously need to get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by 098_kavid_890
    They just bashed Charla in VH1's Best Month Ever: July. I never did like that show. All the people who comment there seriously need to get a life.
    I saw that too! I really like the show, and they listed The Amazing Race, more specially Charla, as the second best thing about July. They talk about how she is proving all the sterotypes about little people, but crazy ones, like all little people like to do cartwheels. If you can catch it, I would reccomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    It was winter in Russia so it would have been spring/summer in Egypt, yes?
    Slapping my forehead for again missing the obvious.

Thanks, Broadway. That I had blanked out the winter wonderland of St. Petersburg so easily and quickly indicates it would have taken some time for me to get my memory out of hock on my own without a helpful prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by fairyprincess
    They DID have a timestamp and C & M had about 3 minutes to get there. The camel workers WERE closing up shop, but at the last second they saw and heard Mirna yelling to WAIT WAIT. There is nothing wrong with this. They were only about 1000 yards away and certainly could make that distance in 3 minutes. I don't think there was any shenanigans going on there.
    I'm not moaning about them having been able to ride the horses, but using your estimation of the distance, which seems reasonable enough based on what the camera showed when shooting back from the camel base, that is a good half mile or so, and as Broadway observed earlier, it is one thing to hustle on pavement, another when you are navigating the type of terrain that twisted Linda's ankle with holes or depressions.

I'll just accept that either Mirna's voice or Chala's whistle carried over the intervening distance. The timestamp or Mirna's watch were not apparently accurate, IMO, based on the distance that needed to be, and according to the time comparisons, WAS navigated in 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Griss
    I figured the horse/camel thing was a legitimate business, and that if C/M got their attention and they (the camel guys) waited, good for C/M.

As for whether or not these guys are normally there with their camels and carpets....who's to say. Tourists will pay for some pretty strange things. But you could well be right that this was something set up by the show.
    Here's why I think it was set up by the show:

I can understand tourists paying to ride horses.
    I can understand tourists paying to ride camels.
    I can't understand tourists paying to ride horses leading camels laden with carpets.

What would be the point? Are there many tourists who would say, "Gee, I've always wanted to lead a carpet-laden camel?" Plus, the ride operator would have to keep twice the number of animals on hand, undoubtedly requiring them to charge more in order to cover their costs and pay for their upkeep.

It just doesn't make sense as a legitimate business.

I am guessing the camel ride is a legit business, and the carpet thing was thrown in by TAR so they would have a purpose to that step in the race leg.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

What did that VH1 show say about Charla? *bashes Vh1*
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

Remember, reality t.v. has very little to do with reality. Camera angles can distort distances to appear closer or father, to make crowd look larger, or smaller than they actually are. My guess is the producers wanted the visual of the camels and Charla & Mirna on the horses with the back drop of the pyramids. It worked.

+ Reply to Thread