+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 107 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292 ... LastLast

Thread: Charla & Mirna

My favorite TAR teams are the ones who can think beyond the obvious way of completing the leg, within the rules. I think it's brilliant that C&M found a way to get to the head of the standby lists instead of being content with being at the middle of the pack. It's not a game that relies on relationships with other teams, so I think they are playing it about right, even if they got there accidentally (meaning, they got burned by others and therefore don't want to make alliances any more). With all the bland couples, it's a relief to have a team that's flamboyant, too.

I'll take a team whose members are dedicated to each other over the scary intense couples that say horrible things to each other when they're stressed out. I found Colin losing his patience and telling Christie through gritted teeth to "Just eat. Just eat." to be more disturbing than any conflict I've seen with Charla and Mirna and the other teams.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    man you people crack me up defending her interrupting that conversation. if that had been me, I would have ripped her a good one and not been as polite. why? cause I don't like her attitude.

FORT Newbie
    But Jim and Marsha were the first ones to be put on stand by and then got bumped when Colin asked for priority and Charla used her doctor lie. At least that is what I gathered. I could be wrong, but weren't they the first ones to be put on stand by?
    You're sort of missing the differance between Jim and Marhsa being in the top 2 teams and being eliminated.. Jim and Marsha were eliminated because they got on an 11:30 plane. If they had made the 10:30 flight, Lance and Marshall would have been eliminated. It is their own fault that they had to rely on standby to stay in the race. Did Charla and Mirna plus Colin and Christie knock them off for an earlier flight? Probably. But it is in their right to do so and it was a complete mistake to not by airline tickets when not only were they first in line for a ticket counter, they even bought Brandon and Nicole's tickets.

I stand corrected on this statement. I don't think she has to be stronger, but she is being portrayed as the "leader"
    Not neccesarily.

Mirna states in her CBS bio she can be too bossy and controlling, but just because she is doesn't neccesarily mean she is or is being portrayed as the leader of the team.

Thus, you would think that she would be stronger.
    I just compare it to sports. The coach, while having skills of his own, is certainly not as good as the people on his team when dealing with the National Leagues.

What bugs me is Mirna calling people "criminals" and "disgusting" and then turning right around and acting like just everyone else. It is a race, do what you need to do to win, but don't act like you are innocent from fault.
    She calls people that because it's in her vocabulary to do so. It's better than using some of the more colorful phrases we say to people when we're mad in the English language.

I found Colin losing his patience and telling Christie through gritted teeth to "Just eat. Just eat." to be more disturbing than any conflict I've seen with Charla and Mirna and the other teams.
    I agree. There have been a lot of people complaining about how they cannot say anything bad about Charla (when these same people do so right after complaining), but then Charla also has to deal with the spotlight being put on her and people instead ignore rude things Colin says.

man you people crack me up defending her interrupting that conversation. if that had been me, I would have ripped her a good one and not been as polite.
    While I understand it is within everyone's opinion to say what they want, when it gets to this, I think the best thing is to just remember that we are only talking about butting into a simple conversation. The way some people have reacted you'd think there was physical violence going on.

I think this team has to deal with a huge magnifying glass over everything they do or say, and that really isn't that fair in itself. I do believe that if Mirna was not with Charla, or if her team wasn't as focused on, that people wouldn't be hating on her so much. I realize that if you hate Mirna, then this might seem proposterous, but coupled with Charla, this team has high air-time (which they have no control of) over teams who have done similarly rude things like Colin and Christie, and thus, they are scrutinized for their actions more.

~Grover
    Last edited by Grover; 07-31-2004 at 09:43 AM.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    man you people crack me up defending her interrupting that conversation. if that had been me, I would have ripped her a good one and not been as polite. why? cause I don't like her attitude.
    I would have as well, but unfortunately I doubt they allow punching someone on the show.

But as someone mentioned earlier, as ABSOLUTELY rude as it was, the man that was helping them really had the responsibility on him to tell her he was busy and would speak to her when he was through.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Grover
    Krom, I think you need to live a few days as a dwarf. Charla, and Mirna who probably feels protective of her cousin, have had to deal with a lifetime of people likely torturing Charla either by making fun of her, treating her as a child, not respecting her, dismissing her, thinking she's stupid, and everything else.
    I'm sorry, but this comes very close to suggesting that I can't have an opinion which involves a little person without being one.

Also, would I be so off target in suggesting that Mirna's own tendency to feel she has to "protect" her cousin, as you yourself say she does, is part of a greater possible problem? Another poster after your post talks about how Mirna is PORTRAYED as the leader of the team all of the time, whether or not it's true. Well it's not just editing I think... she's doing a lot of that herself. She's the voice of both of them in most of the interviews. She talks about Charla being this, or being that, but a lot of it seems like overcompensation. Treating someone with that level of protectiveness and overcompensation... that's fully as much a way to treat someone like a child as anything I think Charla may have had to endure elsewhere--even if it's in a different form.

Quote Originally Posted by nairb247
    What bugs me is Mirna calling people "criminals" and "disgusting" and then turning right around and acting like just everyone else. It is a race, do what you need to do to win, but don't act like you are innocent from fault.
    Right. My main problem with Mirna seems to be an aura of hypocracy around her. It's not that she's "strong" or even necessarily "rude" (although that second is part of it), it's that, as my grandmother used to say "she doesn't seem to think her s@@t stinks". She seems to complain about the other teams a lot, but resents it deeply when they complain about her. She expects "honor" from people, but really we've never seen any evidence she'd keep to an honorable agreement from her side (I'm not saying she wouldn't, I'm saying she's acting like the others SHOULD have automatically trusted her or gone along with her, and how DARE they not).
    Like I've said before, people that don't like this team tend to use little things and turn them into huge deals to fuel their hatred.
    How is this any different from the fact that I also dislike the Pizza Morons because of a hundred jerky little things THEY did? What's with the sudden assumptions that it's not equal opportunity or that we lack compassion or something if we are annoyed by Charla and Mirna? I can recognize that some people like them, or cheer for the story being presented on screen about a team "overcoming obstacles". I'm just saying I don't buy it.

And I'm not one-sided about it. I (and I think many others who later realized they disliked these two) have shown appreciation for Charla's physical toughness, and yes... for the way that Mirna OCCASSIONALLY says something really really funny. It's just not enough for me to excuse all else they do.

While I understand it is within everyone's opinion to say what they want, when it gets to this, I think the best thing is to just remember that we are only talking about butting into a simple conversation. The way some people have reacted you'd think there was physical violence going on.
    To be honest... I'm not even all that fixated, personally, on the "interrupting" thing. I've been looking more at her whole pattern of behavior from the beginning and the seeming endless stream of comments from other teams about them. So she was rude? It's just a brick in the wall, it's not the whole argument.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-31-2004 at 12:43 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Captain of the World
    You're sort of missing the differance between Jim and Marhsa being in the top 2 teams and being eliminated.. Jim and Marsha were eliminated because they got on an 11:30 plane. If they had made the 10:30 flight, Lance and Marshall would have been eliminated. It is their own fault that they had to rely on standby to stay in the race. Did Charla and Mirna plus Colin and Christie knock them off for an earlier flight? Probably. But it is in their right to do so and it was a complete mistake to not by airline tickets when not only were they first in line for a ticket counter, they even bought Brandon and Nicole's tickets.
    Don't miss the difference at all. As a frequtent flier for business, I would be ticked off if I were first on standby and then missed the flight because of someones lie. I know exactly what happened. I wasn't criticising Charla nor Colin for doing it, I was just saying that I don't understand why they didn't ask for priority either.

I just compare it to sports. The coach, while having skills of his own, is certainly not as good as the people on his team when dealing with the National Leagues.
    Actually there are many coaches who were and still are much better than the players they coach. That is another topic for another forum, but having been involved with professional sports my whole life we don't want to debate that one. Mirna however, is being portrayed as the leader and the decision maker. Wheather she is in fact the leader is another story.

She calls people that because it's in her vocabulary to do so. It's better than using some of the more colorful phrases we say to people when we're mad in the English language.
    Again, not true, my father is an attorney and I never hear him speak of people that way. All I am saying is it is hypocritical. She can say what she wants, but she needs to be prepared to be criticized for it. Call someone those names and then get offended when they say things or react back is just wrong.
    Never Play Leap Frog With A Unicorn

FORT Newbie
    Krom, I really do not want the discussion to continue to get so heated. I'm just interested in a friendly discussion.

I'm sorry, but this comes very close to suggesting that I can't have an opinion which involves a little person without being one.

Also, would I be so off target in suggesting that Mirna's own tendency to feel she has to "protect" her cousin, as you yourself say she does, is part of a greater possible problem?
    I was talking about how you need to understand what Charla goes through. If you did, or at least try to, you would understand why Mirna feels protective of Charla. It's normal behavior considering.

I'm telling you this not so you can pity them, but because it will explain some of the behavior your complaining about on the show. There is definately a good reason Mirna feels protective of Charla, and I think that Charla most likely appreciates it, considering how some people absolutely shun her due to her size.

She's the voice of both of them in most of the interviews.
    That Charla has no control over. Charla also seems to go with the flow a little more.

She talks about Charla being this, or being that, but a lot of it seems like overcompensation. Treating someone with that level of protectiveness and overcompensation... that's fully as much a way to treat someone like a child as anything I think Charla may have had to endure elsewhere--even if it's in a different form.
    If Charla doesn't like how Mirna is communicating with her, I doubt she would not voice her opinion to her. As long as she doesn't complain, and thinks Mirna means well (which I am sure she does), then I don't see what's to get mad about. If Charla has no problems with it, why should anyone else? (Just saying. Not actually saying you can't complain.)

She seems to complain about the other teams a lot, but resents it deeply when they complain about her. She expects "honor" from people, but really we've never seen any evidence she'd keep to an honorable agreement from her side (I'm not saying she wouldn't, I'm saying she's acting like the others SHOULD have automatically trusted her or gone along with her, and how DARE they not.
    This is how some people are. She takes trust very seriously. You may not. I also have never heard Mirna complain about people she doesn't feel have wronged her. Notice all her complaints have been about Brandon and Nicole, Marshall and Lance, and Colin and Christie. Brandon and Nicole lied to her, Marshall and Lance are people you either love or hate (it's obvious about the dislike here), and Colin was extremely, extremely rude right infront of Charla which you seem to ignore for some reason. The only questionable one would be Bob and Joyce, but I see that more of as Mirna not wanting to surrender her place in line for better tickets (I believe this incident took place at the 9:40 counter). I somehow suspect that Mirna would not be looked as down upon for the incident if that had been one of the more hated teams.

I am sure she gets along fine with Chip/Kim, the Kwins, the Bowling Moms, etc.

How is this any different from the fact that I also dislike the Pizza Morons because of a hundred jerky little things THEY did?
    I do not follow peoples' opinions on the other teams much.

What's with the sudden assumptions that it's not equal opportunity or that we lack compassion or something if we are annoyed by Charla and Mirna?
    There isn't any. No one has ever said you cannot complain. Please, do not feel that you have to hold back.

I've been looking more at her whole pattern of behavior from the beginning and the seeming endless stream of comments from other teams about them
    I think this is a slight exaggeration. The only two teams who have a long-term problem with Charla and Mirna are the Pizza Bros. and Colin and Christie. Considering the former, it doesn't really hold much weight. Colin and Christie said this right infront of Charla:

Come on, I'm so serious, we HAVE to beat the midget!
    Right infront of them, too! The mutual hatred of these two teams was likely started before the airport incident, and probably because of this.

Again, not true, my father is an attorney and I never hear him speak of people that way.
    It has nothing to do with a job. Every person has their own words they use when they are mad at something. Dare I say it's better Mirna is not actually swearing like some teams have in the past?

Don't miss the difference at all.
    There is a difference.

You said you blamed Jim and Marsha being eliminated on Charla and Mirna. Marsha was first in line to buy the 10:30 flight tickets. If she had bought them, she would not have been eliminated. The issue is not whether it was right for Charla and Mirna to get a priority over them (because you had originally talked about the actual eliminated), but that they screwed up in their ticket purchases when they had every opportunity to do so.

If you had blamed Charla and Mirna for them specifically not getting on the 9:10 flight, then that's partially true, but that the 9:10 standby flight was life or death for them was a mistake in itself. That's just what I was trying to make clear.

One more thing: On the subject of Mirna being the leader, I don't recall anything on the show that has made it clear Mirna is the leader. She is the taller one and more outspoken one of the team. It depends on what your opinion of a leader is. If those qualities make a leader for you, than Mirna is the leader. To some, Charla is the leader because she does more things than Mirna and knows how to handle situations better. If there is something that has been on the show that clearly portrays Mirna as the leader, then by all means, please fill me in.

~Grover
    Last edited by Grover; 07-31-2004 at 02:49 PM.

Things seem to be fairly heated in this thread, so I'll post a short warning and then go back to my extreme dislike of this team...

If you've stated your opinions once, then you've pretty much said everything you need to say regarding Charla and Mirna. There's no need to pound it into the ground, or reiterate your opinion every time someone posts something that doesn't jibe with your own thoughts. I'm seeing the same old arguments appear time after time by the same small group of members, and I'm getting a little tired of it.

Also, your OPINIONS are just that, and are no more right or wrong than other members' OPINIONS. None of us knows these people in real life (and if we do, then it has absolutely no bearing on how they're being portrayed on the show anyway), and it's all speculation and inference based on a TV show.

If I have to post another warning in this thread, there will be several fewer members reading the next one.

John, you are my hero. Not just for saying that, but that you dislike Charla and Mirna.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoFan
    I would have as well, but unfortunately I doubt they allow punching someone on the show. .

no, no, I'd do it verbally, no punching at all. no violence. just saw it again. showing the tape for the wife and she even agreed with me. she was rude and to think she was thinking she did nothing wrong?????!!!!

+ Reply to Thread