+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Amazing Disgrace.

Thanks for the welcome, Bill_in_PDX. Re the editing: what if the editors had chosen to show Flo saying "No, Zach, I don't want to" and then cut to them walking down to the ocean in Portugal? The essential information would have been conveyed--they trail blazed instead of rappeled--yet one critical component of the editorially-engineered Flo persona we were presented would not be in any said constellation of features. Work around a handful of those outbursts, and we have a much more likeable, hot bod babe crossing the finish line 95% of the viewers would "love", not to mention a feel good ending. But oh hell, no!, the TAR editors had to go film school on us.

Tuluminous, I'm not sure if you read the Derek & Drew interview, but they mentioned that every fight they had in the car with each other was almost immediately followed by apologies and forgiveness - they mentioned that it was just the way they communicate, but the editors decided not to show the make-ups. They weren't bitter about it, they just thought people should know it.

The whole point of putting people under strain is to see how they react, and to get it on film. That's all the race is, is one giant stress-test. We're just behind the one-way glass watching, transfixed when someone reacts really horribly under that stress.

In this case it was Flo, and I don't think the editors did anyone a disservice by showing it to us - it IS why we watch, it just happened to be a little worse than we were ready to handle. I certainly wouldn't want them sugar-coating the way people react under the stress of the race. Some people rise to the occasion (witness Ian's beating Andre & Damon down the rapelling cliff, or Ken re-enacting The Sound of Music in Grindenwald), and others melt down (witness Eve freaking out about skydiving, Andre & Damon being detained, the Twins leaving their bag in the cab, or Flo through the second half of the show). It's great BECAUSE of the super highs and super lows, not because of the boring stuff in the middle.

As great as John Vito and Jill are, and they're pretty super human beings, they were boring to watch, because they never excelled at anything and never melted down.

Originally posted by Tuluminous
    Thanks for the welcome, Bill_in_PDX. Re the editing: what if the editors had chosen to show Flo saying "No, Zach, I don't want to" and then cut to them walking down to the ocean in Portugal? The essential information would have been conveyed--they trail blazed instead of rappeled--yet one critical component of the editorially-engineered Flo persona we were presented would not be in any said constellation of features. Work around a handful of those outbursts, and we have a much more likeable, hot bod babe crossing the finish line 95% of the viewers would "love", not to mention a feel good ending. But oh hell, no!, the TAR editors had to go film school on us.
    Hey Tuluminous!

I hope you will stick around with us, and I enjoy reading your view of the situation.

I guess the way I see it is that you take two teams, Oh Brother and Zach / Flo. If I understand you correctly (and gosh knows I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so please do correct me if I am wrong) then the editors in effect created the friendly funloving brothers just as much as they cast the evil whiney Flo.

I don't think they edited in those personalities, and as John posted above, I actually believe they have a better interest in letting the personalities come out as they are. I think Flo's actions and comments in interviews after the race pretty much comfirm her atrocious behavior during it.

But, we certainly can agree to disgree!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

BigMac
    Watching the TAR3 finale was probably the most exciting, but yet ultimately the most frustrating, 2 hours I've spent watching TV in a long, long time! As mentioned before, Ian was back to his old annoying self. But still their 2nd place finish was great for the show in showing that a middle-aged couple could do well in this race. It was a testimony to their perseverance, despite Ian's annoying outbursts.

And what a shame that the oh-so-likeable Ken & Gerard finished in 3rd. Their good humor and strong rapport with all the other teams made them an easy team to cheer for.

Unfortunately we were left with, besides Wil from TAR2, perhaps the most unlikeable personality in the history of TAR to take 1st place. Plenty has been written about the cat-sliding-down-a-car grating personality of Flo, and rightfully so. What an abysmal person! But kudos to Zach, who showed himself to be probably the best contestant TAR has seen in 3 races! He had to do it all for his team, while not killing Flo! Hats off to Zach!

Personalities aside, I had two other main problems with the finale: First, why could Flo/Zach get someone else to complete their boat detour in Vietnam for them? Do contestants no longer have to accomplish the physical challenges themselves? And second, why was the final episode 2 hours long? With the way the final legs were planned, why not just simply fly them all to the Seattle airport and let them start from there? With the way the bunching strategies were planned on these legs (only a few flights available to Hawaii, Big Kahuna not opening up until 10:00, etc.), it rendered Flo's utter ineptitude and failure in Vietnam completely moot. It was designed so that whoever had better luck catching a cab to Lincoln Park in Seattle had the best chance of winning. I'd like to see the results of all of the teams' efforts in the last 2 legs matter, not just their luck at the final location.

I've enjoyed this thread, and I'm looking forward to TAR4. See ya...

, BigMac! Be sure to check out the "Introduce Yourself" thread in the General Discussion forum...

And, you're in Atlanta, eh? I lived there for about 8 years before moving to NM just over 3 years ago!

Welcome, BigMac! I can pretty much exactly echo your thoughts there.

I think TAR3 was an attempt to fix a major complaint from the previous 2 TARs, namely the footrace to the finish. And I have to wonder if they might still have had a footrace, if it would have been F/Z, K/G, and Derek/Drew or JV/Jill instead of Teri/Ian. They might have.

And the bunching of teams has become a lot more apparent in the last 2 seasons, but I have to wonder if it's just a holdover from security precautions post-9/11. I think TAR4 should have less bunching - at least they better.

And I'm not sure if you read the interview we have with Flo & Zach, but they were penalized an hour for the boat thing...But the other 2 teams were also penalized for the biking thing, so it all evened up again. Personally, I think they didn't complete the task, and shouldn't have been able to finish. But that's just me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345