+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 website has video preview **Spoilers**

Regarding the preview video apparent starting line.......
    * If it is not Santa Monica Pier (SMP), then all bets are off at this point, because I've seen no one anywhere come up with another pier matching the preview.
    * As others have speculated, it could be SMP, but just a dummy shot to not give away the real start.
    * If it is SMP, and they just have a start to the race similar to all of the prior races, then my first thought is...that is a bit lame, doing back-to-back LA starts. Although, methinks that would be a nice way to trim back the TAR budget a bit by just starting it so close to CBS/WRP again.
    * However, maybe they took a page from the Survivor playbook (when they unsuspectingly threw them overboard without all of their stuff). Maybe, they told their little TAR5 sheep one day while they were pre-race-sequestered, "hey class, line up, we're going down to SMP for a little relaxation before the big dance". Once down there, they lined them up, and gave them the "go!" speech, and tell them their vehicles are waiting for them back at the sequester hotel. The first thing they had to do was get back to their sequester rooms, pack up and get going. Or, maybe they decide to just go with the clothes on their back. Or, maybe they are able to get to airport quickly enough to book flights, then go back to hotel and get their things and then back to airport to catch flight. I'm just saying, an unsuspected starting line would be good stuff.

Regarding the screenshot of Phil on some pier.......
    Someone that lives within 100 miles or so of SMP needs to get their TAR-loving rear end down there and scour that thing for this camera angle. There are so many clues that would 100% clear this up. From where Phil is standing.......
    * the boards are running parallel to the length of the shot of the pier.
    * to Phil's left the railing appears to be maybe 20 feet, there is a bench in the corner, that lightpost not only has the loopy-light but also what looks like two other lights.
    * the next lightpost behind Phil is right by what appears to be the top of a staircase.
    * then between the next two lightposts there is another bench.
    * to Phil's back the railing at the far end of the shot appears to be maybe 100-150 feet, where there appears to be a yellow (maybe) sign, and some other dark obstruction along the railing.
    * I'd say look for the bird that is under the bench closer to Phil, but I'd imagine it has flown off by now

Regarding the starting line, in general.......
    Technically, the TAR6 (and I think the TAR5 did too) application (actually it's in the eligibility requirement) says "Teams chosen to participate ... will be flown ... to an unknown destination somewhere in the world ..."
    So, while we've always had US starts, it apparently doesn't have to be. So, when people started pinning down that city-shot at the top of the TAR5 web page to most probably being Marseilles I wondered if they could've finally given them a non-US start. But, now that a South American stop is speculated to be first, that (Marseilles) seems unlikely. I would imagine the shot of (probably) Marseilles is just a city shot that looks rather worldly for our rather worldly favorite show.

Regarding the video being "gone" now.......
    It is possible that they are preparing to release a commercial previewing TAR5, sort of like they did last year. Even though it is FAR from premiering, they may want to start airing it en-masse during the final few weeks of regular season programming, esp. S-finale. Honestly, I think they may have posted it out there, knowing we (the TAR fanatic community) would get wind of it, watch, re-watch, re-watch, ..., and tear it to pieces and critique it to death. Then, they could fine tune it before releasing it to the public. Just a thought.

I only watched it once (silly me assuming it would still be there later when I wanted to watch it again and again), so have mainly gone from others' analysis of it and screenshots from it, but many have said they don't think all 11 teams are fully represented in it. Here's what I think. They are still going to call my team for TAR5. We'll have to race around the world on the TAR5 route, then they'll just do that editing thing they do, and we'll be seamlessly integrated into the show. Yes, I am kidding.

And a few other things.......
    Can we assume the preview was all taken from episode 5.01, so as to avoid any knowledge of which teams make it anywhere else (a la TAR1 giveaways in the opening credits)?

Are they walking dogs in that one part of the preview? If so, can't wait to see what that is all about.

Can we give up yet if we haven't been called for TAR6?
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

FORT Newbie

smp location...

just some info for all you guys guessing about this starting location stuff.

the smp is about 5 or 6 blocks from the mail house that all TAR applications are sent to. just thought i would let you guys knows that WRP productions is most likely a santa monica-based company

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    Regarding the video being "gone" now.......

I only watched it once (silly me assuming it would still be there later when I wanted to watch it again and again), so have mainly gone from others' analysis of it and screenshots from it, but many have said they don't think all 11 teams are fully represented in it.
    Although the link on the TAR5 page is gone. (I couldn't get it to work anyway) the direct link still works.

http://www.cbs.com/video/video_mod.h...e5_promo.shtml

FORT Regular
    The webpage has now been corrected to say 11 teams, and now discloses that the identity of the 11 teams will be posted on June 4th.
    >|p >|p

I'm really THAT Dave
    FWIW, I have it on reasonably reliable information that the start point is indeed Santa Monica Pier.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-TARmaniac

This is in the video where Phil says "Go!"
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    Someone that lives within 100 miles or so of SMP needs to get their TAR-loving rear end down there and scour that thing for this camera angle. There are so many clues that would 100% clear this up. From where Phil is standing.......
    * the boards are running parallel to the length of the shot of the pier.
    * to Phil's left the railing appears to be maybe 20 feet, there is a bench in the corner, that lightpost not only has the loopy-light but also what looks like two other lights.
    * the next lightpost behind Phil is right by what appears to be the top of a staircase.
    * then between the next two lightposts there is another bench.
    * to Phil's back the railing at the far end of the shot appears to be maybe 100-150 feet, where there appears to be a yellow (maybe) sign, and some other dark obstruction along the railing.
    If I'm in Santa Monica in the next week or so, I'll see if I can make it to the pier. In the meantime, here's a shot of it from a different angle, which at least shows the light fixtures and the benches.

FORT Fan
    I think it is a shot from the SMP, but I don't think it is the real starting line. I say this for 2 reasons:
    1) In the shot Phil says GO, but he is facing the wrong way on the pier. The teams would be on the ocean side and you would see the mainland behind Phil.
    2) TOO many people are on the SMP at any given time so that it would be recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by rssrara
    1) In the shot Phil says GO, but he is facing the wrong way on the pier. The teams would be on the ocean side and you would see the mainland behind Phil.
    I thought of that too, which is why I'm interested in checking it out for myself.

There's an area at the far end of the pier (behind the vantage point of the web photo) which might work for the staging area and enable the teams to be facing land. However, the sunlight on the right side of Phil's face would also seem to indicate that he is the one facing east toward land, since the sun in the winter sky is farther to the south. I agree that that might be a staged shot for promo purposes.

As for the lack of crowds: That wouldn't be too difficult to deal with. On a winter weekday the pier would be fairly sparsely populated and they could easily cordon off an area for the racers.

If the Santa Monica Pier is the actual starting point, that would mean using LAX as the departure airport for the second season in a row. Guess that could be another example of their "cost-cutting".

I'll snoop around and see if I can find out anything else.
    Last edited by John; 05-12-2004 at 08:33 AM.

Well, from what I've read on other boards the start at SMP is almost 100% confirmed.

First, someone did in fact go to SMP and find the exact vantage point that was is the TAR webpage preview video and later in the commercial that aired during Surv finale. They took a picture almost exactly from where Phil is "go"-ing. The only difference is the bench closest to Phil is no longer there.

So, all that does is confirms that the Phil scene is indeed 100% confirmed to be on SMP. But, is it REALLY the start?

Elsewhere someone did screencaps from the commercial during Surv finale. One of the teams is seen running past a roller coaster. So then everyone was trying to figure out what coaster it was...Six Flags in Dallas, could it be in South America.

But, wouldn't you know it, someone then came up with a picture of the roller coaster that is on SMP, and it appears to be THE coaster in the commercial.

So, now we have Phil confirmed to be on SMP. AND, we have a team by the coaster on SMP. I'd say we have the start point at SMP.

Maybe to make it a little more interesting, their bags aren't in sight of where they line up, they are just 'somewhere' on SMP, so they've first got to find them. It is quite a big area. 22 people frantically running around like chickens with their head cut off. And someone decides it's a good idea to throw all the other bags into the ocean?

Like I said earlier, I'm a little disappointed that they are starting yet again from LA, but wasn't at all surprised since it saves them a good chunk of money. After all, they already paid to fly the teams to LA for pre-Race. If they start somewhere else, they'd have to pay to fly them all including set up crew, etc to yet another location, costing no doubt 10s of thousands of dollars. So, in the age of TAR cost-cutting, we've got LA start again.

Honestly, it's probably safer for them spoiler-wise because they have more control over keeping them in LA until minutes/hours before the start. Then all they had to do was take them essentially across the street and let them loose.

All of the starts have been pretty good, and I'm sure there are still some good places to start from in LA if they decide to keep doing it. The problem is, all future teams will (I would hope anyway) have 25 different routes to LAX memorized from all points in LA area. So, they better come up with something that mixes it up a little bit. Give them a task before going to airport (which I've always wanted anyway to avoid the Airport Race), or make them drive somewhere first (SD, SF, LV), or something.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

For what it's worth, I have confirmed both the Santa Monica Pier start and LAX as the departure airport. No ifs, ands, or buts.

This isn't speculation or based on anything I've read on other boards. However, since I don't want to get anyone in any trouble, I guess you'll just have to trust me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast