+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TAR 6 Applications

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    Steve (or Dave): Do you have any idea how many of the applications are even looked at? Obviously yours was, but the reason I ask is based on my experience after applying for TAR3.
    To the best of my knowledge, all the tapes/apps get seen. I don't know for how long each gets viewed, but I believe that they all get some viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnuffTAR
    To TAR4 ATC Dave & TAR4 ATCSteve...
    Regarding your estimate that "only 6 or 7 teams from our race went through the entire procedure". Please correct me if I am mistaken. With a number that low, I am assuming that you are NOT including those that were called back from prior LA finals. If I am not mistaken that would include Steve/Josh, Tian/Jaree, and Kelly/Jon (are there others). Honestly, don't you consider them to have gone through the entire process, since they applied, went to semis and LA twice, it's just that part of that was many months prior. If I am correct then wouldn't that make the total closer to 8 - 10 teams that were traditional applicants. This seems much more acceptable, considering there were 12 total, and we already know of C&R and D&J being non-traditional. Am I missing something? Would you care to itemize those teams that you know were traditional applicants that went through the process (regardless of original season they applied for, they applied by the original due date with no "agent" of any sort, attended a semi, and LA). Include yourselves of course, and I think Steve/Josh have expressed that they did indeed apply, and Amanda/Chris did too. I know this may be bordering on having you reveal info about other teams, but I just thought if you knew for sure a list of teams that applied, you could provide it. As for those that you know did not apply, or aren't sure, they won't be on your list, and it will remain a mystery to us.
    Steve/Josh and Kelly/John were brought back from TAR3, but I know Steve included them in his list of non-traditional applicants, because their "automatic" inclusion narrowed the available slots for remaining applicants to 10. Subtracting C/R and the Goats from that field leaves only 8 available. There were at least 2 other teams that were "recruited" (no names used), which brings the remaining slots to 6. And finally, another team was called to LA during the week (they didn't have to go through the same/full process that we did) and made the show. This leaves 5 of 12 slots that were given to teams that applied and went through the entire process for TAR4 (the number that Steve gave).

From what we've been able to gather, the numbers were similar from TAR2 to TAR3. So it seems logical that the same would hold for TAR4 to TAR5.

Dave
    Last edited by TAR4 ATC Dave; 05-14-2004 at 10:20 PM.

ATC guys...
    Thanks for the clarification. Let me ask it another way, though.

Let's suppose for a second that you went to LA finals for TAR4, but instead of being selected for show, you were passed over, but were told that you were close, and would be considered highly for future TARs. Then apps for TAR5 roll around, and you are contacted by WRP/CBS, and asked to LA finals for TAR5. Let's say this contact occurs before you even have time to consider whether or not you will apply again. Honestly, wouldn't you consider yourselves to still be 100% completely "traditional" applicants.

As for "traditional", I personally define that to mean that you applied (by the due date) to SOME season of TAR by no coaxing of "outside forces" (independent casting agencies, WRP casting recruiting you off the street or more likely at a bar). You've taken it upon yourselves to apply, you've most likely been to a semi, and you've almost certainly been to LA finals. Of course others' definition of traditional may differ.

So, in the hypothetical, now you are being asked back. You've been through it all. I just consider anyone that goes through that checklist of the traditional path to the show to be "traditional". The fact that your ultimate selection to the show is not until a later season than what you originally applied for is irrelevant.

Thoughts?

So, it sounds like for TAR4, of the 12 teams it sounds like you're saying that only 4 were fully recruited (DaJe and ReCh and two other teams yet un-named). So, 8 of the 12 slots were filled from teams that at some point in time took the initiative to apply to be on TAR. And, of those 8 "traditionals", it sounds like only 1 team (the one called to LA finals at last-minute) did not go through the entire normal process. (Would it be safe to assume that they DID go to a semi and were initially not selected to LA finals but were then later asked to join y'all there?) And, finally that would leave 7 of the 12 teams that were traditional AND went through the entire process. 2 of those 7 were from prior LA finals, and 5 of those 7 were never before to LA finals.

And, one final thought. Suppose you had applied and were in the same boat as that team that was called to LA finals last-minute. Whatever their situation was (ie, went to a semi or not), let's say that happened to you. Then, you were the team that was called to LA finals last-minute. And were selected. Aren't you traditional? The main point being that you applied and waited and WRP/CBS finally called you (knowing nothing more about you than your app and video and possibly a semi). It's not up to you when/if you are called. But, the main point is that YOU decided to apply, not someone ASKED you to apply or let you skip applying.

From what you've described of the TAR4 cast, I think I'd consider 8 to be fully traditional applicants. A number that I am personally okay with as an applicant for all future TARs. Of course everyone has a right to not like how they get some of the teams, but I just think it would be reasonable to assume that they have in the past, and will in the future, find some teams from other means. But it sounds like most do in fact come from applicants that sit by the phone (not literally) for the better part of a month anxiously awaiting that oh-so-special ring.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

ive been wondering if you have to be american to be a contestant on the amazing race (im canadian)? i wouldve checked for myself, but i cant find a copy of the application anywhere, thanks in advance

Leo
    Premium Member
    Yes, you do have to be a US citizen to apply.

So now that makes me wonder who those other two teams were. I think it's safe to assume that it wasn't Chris and Amanda or Steve and Dave. Jon and Al were surprised to find out that R/C had been recruited so I'm guessing they probably weren't either. I also doubt if Millie/Chuck or the Supremes or Steve/Debra would have been recruited but obviously I am wrong somewhere in here. Hmmm! Tian/Jaree seem like a likely candidate to me and I don't think Russell/Cindy would surprise me either. I'm probably way off base, I guess the Supremes could have been recruited, in fact maybe they are a very good candidate. Maybe Steve/Debra would have been a last minute replacement team. I'm going to guess Tian/Jaree, the Supremes as recruited and Steve/Debra as a last minute replacement. I could easily see Russell/Cindy being in one of these two categories though plus I think they live in the LA area don't they.

TAR Junkie and Applicant BuckyBacker's Avatar
    On another board, Chris from Amanda and Chris said there was one team that was called after the LA interviews for TAR4. The team was pulled out of the pile of applicants and made it on the show. Any idea who?

Also, if teams were moved from TAR3 to TAR4, were they the alternates for TAR3 or just the "almost good enough" teams?

FORT Newbie

Last Minute Team

At TARcon last year, Steve & Debra told us that they and a couple of other married couples were called at the very last minute (after semis & finals), basically told they had 24 hours to get their paperwork and physicals done and get the results to the producers and they might get to race.

They were apparently the only couple that were able to get the paperwork done and physicals performed in time and the rest is history.
    Last edited by Super Fan; 05-19-2004 at 03:12 PM.

Man, I can't believe the other couples couldn't manage to get their stuff done in time to be considered. I can't imagine how exciting that must have been to get "the call" so long after they'd given up hope. I can't imagine the lengths that my team would go to if we were given such a phone call.

I'd have to guess that Cindy/Russell and The Supremes were the other "recruits". They just seem the most likely. Pure guess though.

Edited to fix typo and add...
    Does anyone know if any of the teams that have been seen in the TAR5 promos/etc, are carryovers from prior LA Finals?
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

TAR Junkie and Applicant BuckyBacker's Avatar

From Craig's List

This was posted yesterday to Craig's List...

CASTING ADVENTUROUS WOMEN FOR HIT REALITY SHOW

GOOD LOOKING MALES (22-30) for Emmy winning reality show

I really don't know how to react to this. I have no problem/understand that they need certain "roles" for the show. But I have to imagine that from the thousands of applications they got that they didn't have any beautiful, young women teams apply.

Plus, it's too late for me to get that sex-change operation!

Ok, now I'm pissed! I just found the other one.
    Last edited by BuckyBacker; 06-03-2004 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added another link

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12