+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 (& BB5) premiere Tue July 6

I've been trying to decide which part ticks me off the most.

10pm... sucks for me too. I LIKED watching it at 8 with the family. I guess since it's on in the summer we can all still watch together, but still...

Alli.... This really bugs me because I don't believe for a second that she'd be n if she'd sent her tape in with everyone else. The fact that Donny is with her? UHG what a loser.

New "Money and Yield" twists. BOOOOOOOOO. I get the whole "No Map" deal. It makes them think harder and play smarter, but taking the money? Slowing down a team already behind you? If it goes as I think it would then it could mean two teams running for the finish line (or at least heading toward it with no other things to complete) and someone pulling the yield card at the last minute. NO FAIR. This game isn't about conniving and purposely slowing people down.

Mixed in with BB. Although we watched most of BB last year, I reallly don't think that over all they are a good pair. I don't see this helping TAR at all.

Yeah, I don't know which one pisses me off more, but I promise one thing.... Alli and Donny will get reamed in my recaps for as long as they are on the show. How's that for impartial recapping?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

cali, even though I am among the minority that doesn't mind *that* much that Alison is Racing, I look forward to much reamedness for her from you.

John, since you "could care less about BB5", you are not among the pool of viewers they are trying to gain from.

There is a group of TAR fans that will watch it no matter when it is on. Those will not change. Probably most of us here.

Last summer there was a group of viewers that watched it when it was on because they didn't care for whatever was on against it. Now that it has moved the number of this group that follows is unknown.

But, on the same hand, in its new timeslot, there will be a group of new viewers that will simply watch it because they prefer to check it out rather than whatever it is on against.

It is the total of those three "groups" of viewers that will determine the total viewers. The biggest unknown being the viewers in the new timeslot that will choose it over its competition. BB5 is a strong performing lead-in, a show of a similar genre, and young demographics.

There is probably an enormous number of people that are already watchers of TAR and BB. But there are certainly very large numbers that only watch one or the other. Some because they've tried the other and decided they didn't like it. Others because they are unaware of the other, or the other has been on at inconvenient times, etc. West Wing and Bachelor combined to be a sizable force to compete against, then it was Friends and WWE (UPN's highest viewed show).
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

And, oh yeah, another thing...cali, think about the money thing and the yield like this...

The yield...
    With supposedly only 11 teams, it's unlikely to be used any more than the FF is used. We'll probably get a team or two using it early and not benefitting from it much, just like happens with FF. There will be teams that don't end up using it, either because they're gone before they get to, or they simply never need to. And, I *REALLY* doubt that it can just be pulled out and used at any point. As well as this show has been thought out / produced in the past, I hope that they were smart enough to not allow it to simply be flashed at someone in the heat of a footrace / other-close-competition. It will more probably contain an "unknown" component, similar to the FF (where you don't know if it's already been taken by another team, you may not know where other teams are to know if you really need to use it). For now, I just think it is only going to happen at most probably 6-7 times and I have complete confidence that it was thought out properly by the rule-makers.

Imagine if we'd never had a FF in the 4 TARs so far. If we heard there was going to be a new thing called FF that allowed you to skip everything, blah, blah. There'd be some of us saying "no fair", "that's not what TAR is about", and so forth. But, FF works fine. Technically speaking it's not fair. It means people get to stay in the race that otherwise would've likely been eliminated. Would Steve/Dave have left in Venice instead of Amanda/Chris? The answer is a resounding maybe. And, I am sure there are others. It's not really fair in a race to get to skip stuff, but we all accept and most of us like the FF. Let's wait to decide on the Yield.

The money...
    It will happen even less often. Only 2-4 times based on past formats/number of teams. And, I wonder how accurate the explanation that we have received so far is. They could have explained it 100% correct. If so, it seems harsh, but we'll just have to see how it plays out. But, I just seriously wonder and have a sneaking suspicion that it hasn't been completely accurately explained. There have been times in the past when I've read various TAR-related articles and being a fanatic can pick out small editorial errors. Like wrong season number, wrong number of teams, slightly wrong explanation of routes, tasks, orders of teams. So, I wouldn't be surprised if someone just got some small detail mixed up on the money-taking change.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Im the biggest TAR fan!
    with the updates from the next season...I like the yield, sounds cool, but the idea of "stripping money" is so stupid...how is that team going to have any chance in the next leg???

BTW, what does NEL mean? ....Im new here

Quote Originally Posted by Can't get enough
    Imagine if we'd never had a FF in the 4 TARs so far. If we heard there was going to be a new thing called FF that allowed you to skip everything, blah, blah. There'd be some of us saying "no fair", "that's not what TAR is about", and so forth. But, FF works fine.
    Ahhh... I hadn't thought of it like that, but you're right
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

NEL means non-elimination leg, TARfan.

And I don't know who Allison is since I never watch BB, but I don't like the idea of her being on the show. I wish they just had regular people who apply in normal ways and that have never been on any other shows before. Doesn't that seem fair?

I am not thrilled with the 10pm time slot, either. I have to work in the morning and I don't want to be all excited about the show when I am supposed to be calming down for the night. Hmph! I guess I'll have to quit my job for the summer!
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

I wonder how the new rules are like Hope it won't turn out too political sort of Survivor type game

After reading Cali's comments about the yeild it made me realize that up until this point that each team stays in or gets eliminated on their own merits and their own decisions. Yes, teams can try to trick other teams or withhold information from other teams but they have never been allowed to directly alter the forward progress of another team by using a tool of the game. Up until now I have generally been supportive of the yeild idea but after thinking about the game from this angle, I don't think I like it. Up until now if I get eliminated then I have been eliminated based on the way I ran the race. Now if I get eliminated it can be someone else's fault that it has happened.

We will have to see how it plays out but maybe the Race is better off without this.

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    Since it might need some help for its July 6th premiere...even though it is 2 months early...do you think there will be a TAR Commercial on Survivor either on Thursday or Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    Following those premieres--
    BB5 will be on Tue at 9:00, Thur at 8:00, and Sat at 9:00
    TAR5 will be on Tue at 10:00
    I am a little worry about the schedule. If I remember correctly, TAR2 (or TAR3) was premiered on Monday at 10 pm and it didn't have very good ratings.

I am also not happy with Alison in TAR5.
    Last edited by Elle; 05-16-2004 at 01:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast