+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 start in feb?

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    wuts so bad about putting TAR during sweeps?

Just place it AFTER CSI...it'll do fine

FORT Newbie
    There's NO WAY CBS will put TAR during sweeps...come on, that's common sense.

NBC doesn't even put Will & Grace on Thrusday during sweeps....

Sweep period is cut-throat tv, the networks will only put up the shows that they see can compete with the other networks. TAR was never a big hit, plus Survivor couldn't even beat Friends, how would CBS put TAR up?

In fact, I'd rather see TAR after sweeps...so hopefully, it could attract more viewers, esp after the finally-going-away-Friends.

if TAR is put after a hit show such as Survivor or CSI...it will do fine...we could probably get 13+ million viewers if CSI was moved to 10 PM on Apr 29 and TAR premiered at 9 PM (Apr 29 is first day of sweeps)

TAR would be sandwiched between two great hits...Survivor and CSI.

and remember TAR has the emmy! TAR has something it can brag about which hit shows Apprentice and American Idol dont have
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 02-08-2004 at 04:47 PM.

and remember TAR has the emmy! TAR has something it can brag about which hit shows Apprentice and American Idol dont have
    The Apprentice only premiered more or less than a month ago. And as for AI, I can sort of see why it didn't win the Emmy....not to biased, of course.
    Gustav Holst was right!

FORT Newbie
    Putting TAR in the CSI slot is just our wishful thinking....CBS will NEVER touch that CSI slot...plus, Without A Trace at 10pm is gaining alot of ground from ER, so I don't think CBS would change anything. My guess would be...

Survivor at 8
    CSI at 9
    WAT at 10

After Survivor is finish, CBS will prob put repeat CSI episodes at 8, until the sweep is over...then hopefully, TAR will follow...

What we know (unless the networks change their current schedules, which could happen)...
    * The official dates for "May Sweeps" in 2004 are Thur, April 29 through Wed, May 26.
    * FINAL "Friends", Thur, May 6
    * Survivor finale is "in May" according to commercials and/or voiceovers during the show (can't remember which).
    * If you go to the CBS site, and check out the Tylenol sweepstakes, in the rules it indicates the finale will be "on/about May 9", which is a Sunday.

So, if CBS absolutely doesn't want TAR5 on during sweeps it would not premiere before Thur, May 27. This would be similar to TAR4.

Regarding CBS not putting TAR5 on during sweeps. Sweeps are not NEARLY as important as they once were. In fact within a few years they will be essentially a thing of the past. With the current technologies that Nielsen uses to gather ratings EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE YEAR, networks get instant info. The sweeps are a tradition that networks still want to perform well during, but they are not all that important. It is far more important how shows/network performs day-in-day-out, than how well they can do during arbitrary 4-week periods with all sorts of specials and guest-stars, etc.

I think CBS would be willing to adjust their Thur night schedule during summer months to make it CSI-TAR5-WAT. TAR would end early enough during the summer, that they could finish out the summer with CSI-CSI-WAT just like they did after TAR4 ended last year.

Having TAR lead the night means it gains almost absolutely nothing from the shows that are on after it, regardless of how bad/great they are.

I agree that at times CBS seems to have its head in ... But, you have to give them credit, they have ended up with a number of very successful shows over the past few years, are the #1 watched network, and are continuing to make progress in key demographics. Unfortunately, our favorite show just doesn't get "star treatment" from them. Realistically, it is probably fair. It does well for them, but hasn't justified anything special from them. Let's hope that changes for the better.

Regarding what TAR (in general) is capable of if it were to be shown after a highly successful show. I have some web pages devoted to various charts and graphs of TAR viewership over all of the TAR seasons (http://home.kc.rr.com/arfun/tar/). If you look at this particular graph (http://home.kc.rr.com/arfun/tar/tarviewers.html), you can see the three TAR episodes that had the largest viewers ever were TAR1 (finale), TAR2 (Ep2), and TAR2 (Ep3). They were ALL on after a Survivor episode. Those 3 episodes averaged 13.17million viewers. Imagine what TAR could do if it REGULARLY were on after a great show. (FYI--I *STILL* have not updated my charts/graphs to include the final week of TAR4)
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

I think we'll be seeing TAR the 13th

looks most likely

20th at latest

unless they don't want to put it in the sweeps, that would stink

sweeps would actually help TAR (esp. if it aired after CSI finale )
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 02-09-2004 at 05:46 PM.

FORT Newbie
    HUH?

Friend's Finale is on May 6 and the Sweep ends on May 27??

What's NBC going to do for the rest of the Sweep period? Repeats?

That's impossible.

Sweep is still IMPORTANT, that's why they are pulling all the good shows during this period...

Quote Originally Posted by yelluwsky
    HUH? Friend's Finale is on May 6 and the Sweep ends on May 27??
    What's NBC going to do for the rest of the Sweep period? Repeats? That's impossible.
    Sweep is still IMPORTANT, that's why they are pulling all the good shows during this period...
    Yes, I know sweeps are important, just not nearly AS important. They still are useful, but not AS useful. The networks now get reliable (as reliable as Nielsen numbers can ever be) ratings info all of the time, not just a few times a year. The sweeps are now more of a confirmation and provide a larger volume of information, but they are not nearly as heavily relied upon.

Other than as a tradition, and for "bragging rights" sweeps will continue to decline in importance as the seasons go by.

Advertisers are smart. They know that they must spend their ad dollars throughout a season-long series, not just during sweeps. They want to know how a series performs all 13 (or 26, 30, or however many) episodes. They see through the charade of super special episodes and celebrity guest stars, etc. Sure those are good for numbers for a few episodes. But, the advertisers care about the week-in-week-out numbers.

"Sweeps" occur in Nov, Feb, May, and July. The "more important" ones are the Nov and Feb. They are in the hearts of the fall and spring seasons. The others--the May one is at the end of the season, and July, well, it's summer.

You'll notice that a lot of shows will end their regular seasons fairly early in May, as opposed to near the end of the month. Although it is a sweeps month, it is also the month when viewership in some regards starts to decline/change heading into summer. Schools out, vacations, etc. Why risk putting a finale too late in the month, when you know the audience is still there earlier in the month.

NBC is showing several "favorites" of Friends leading up to the FINALE. I'm not sure what they'll do post-FINALE. It is tough to figure. They'd continue to get good numbers for the rest of May sweeps with more Friends re-runs. But, at some point in time, they'll need to move something else to that slot to prepare it for Fall '04 when Friends won't be there.

TAR5 (assuming it airs 8pmE Thur this summer) will almost certainly have a different scenario than TAR4 had last year. Even if NBC keeps Friends there, it now is an ended series, and this should change its re-run numbers (although by how much?). It may be far more likely now for someone to try out a new TAR5 rather than watching "F". If NBC puts something else in that slot, then who knows.

I think starting TAR5 on the 20th as opposed to the 13th may be better. It's a delicate balance between not starting too soon or too late. Too soon and you still have viewers that are attached to their regular shows that haven't ended yet for the season. Too late and you risk that viewers have already found something else to watch for the summer. The 13th just seems like it may be too early.

It'd be great it Survivor ended on Sun, May 9 (so its last Thur episode was Thu, May 6). Then on very next Thu, May 13 they had some sort of TAR special, but not the premiere. This has always been an idea of mine that seems so obvious. Give the returning fans something to enjoy and reminisce about. Give new viewers an idea of what they're in for this season. That way they understand all of the premises of the game, and aren't so overwhelmed on premiere night with 20+ people and clues, etc. Then have the premiere on Thu May 20.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

like a preview show

that interviews the 12 teams...would be awesome to get to know the 12 teams before the actual race started...

then we wouldn't have to ingest so much info on the premiere

may 20th does look good, as long as it starts somewhat earlier than last year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast