+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would be the perfect TAR timeslot?

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar

What would be the perfect TAR timeslot?

CBS has aired "The Amazing Race" in two timeslots, Wednesdays at 9:00PM and Thursdays at 8:00PM with a special premiere on Monday at 10:00PM hoping to get a boost from "Everybody Loves Raymond."

None have been able to propel TAR to blockbuster ratings status but the show has faced competition on both nights ("Bachelor" :rolleyes and "West Wing" on Wednesdays and "Friends" repeats :rolleyes on Thursdays).

So where do you think would be the perfect timeslot for "The Amazing Race 5" and future installments? (Regular season or Summer)

I think Wednesdays at 8:00PM would be perfect, there isn't any strong programming in that timeslot, "Ed" and ABC's comedies get middling ratings and anything CBS puts in that slot would certainly beat anything on UPN and The WB. The only worry would be the "American Idol" results show. Its been shown that people would much rather watch 25 girls fawn over one guy and vice versa over TAR (why?) and Thursdays at 8PM would be very difficult with the final season of "Friends."

Leo
    Premium Member
    I actually think the current slot has served the show well. Friends is on its way out, and whatever replaces it will not have the audience it (Friends) has.

It also keeps Survivor and TAR from airing during the same time frame, which is a good thing.

I'm really THAT Dave
    Actually I think that a Thursday time-slot immediately after Survivor would do it the most good. Let a strong reality-based show provide the lead-in, and follow it with one of the CSIs. If AR can't do well in a time-slot like that, it probably never will...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    Actually I think that a Thursday time-slot immediately after Survivor would do it the most good. Let a strong reality-based show provide the lead-in, and follow it with one of the CSIs. If AR can't do well in a time-slot like that, it probably never will...

Dave
    Sounds good.

Captain of the World

Dave
    My sentiments exactly, Dave. By the Way, thanks Dave so much for all your input into the show.

Did the producers ever explain to any of the racers why they were picked over others? Just curious.

I agree, Thursdays and 9pm, after Survivor. I'd watch CSI any day it was on, so that doesn't matter so much.

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar
    Actually Thursday after Survivor would be a perfect timeslot. I never really gave Thursday much thought because I didn't think CBS would touch its Thursday line-up.

CSI would move to 10PM and Without a Trace would move to Wednesday to help out.

Dave
    Same here. I like the Thrusday 8 pm slot better than Wednesday 9 pm.

Best defenceman ever canadian_d's Avatar

Dave
    That is an excellent idea, Dave. Thursday is the only day during the week where I can sit and watch TV without having to study. And pretty much my favourite shows air on Thursdays.

7:30pm = Friends, 8pm = Survivor, 9pm = TAR, 10pm = ER... wow... my face will definitely be glued to the screen.

FORT Fan
    All of the ideas expressed are good, however the post-"Survivor" slot would only work if CBS decides to return TAR to the regular season. The network may very well decide to use it as new programming (along with the "Big Brother" franchise) during the summer. A lot of press has also been given to the fact that "Without a Trace" has convincingly defeated NBC's "ER" at 10:00 p.m. However, serialized dramas (that is, dramas with continuing storylines) do not generally repeat well. Consider why the networks don't usually repeat serial dramas (i.e. soap operas, like "Melrose Place" or going even further back, "Dallas") during the summer. When new episodes of "ER" begin, "Trace" will likely return to its second place position, though continue to narrow the gap with the aging medical series. CBS did try airing "CSI" against "ER" a couple of times last season and got mixed reviews, so a "Survivor"-TAR-"CSI" line-up is probably wishful thinking.

My own personal thought is that outside of a Summer Thursday or Wednesday, a good night to air TAR would be Sundays. Think about it, CBS is the only network to still air a movie on the night. Rumors are that the network will dump the movie after this season, to make way for more scripted programming. NBC had success after dumping its lackluster movie and substituting another need-less "Law & Order" spin-off. If the new drama "Cold Case" catches on, CBS could move it opposite "L&O" next year (at 9:00 p.m.) and insert TAR at 8:00 p.m., where the biggest competition would be "Simpsons". A new drama would round out the night at 10:00 p.m. Plus, although not a young-skewing series, "60 Minutes" would provide a good lead-in to TAR.

Ultimately, I will watch (or tape) TAR no matter where CBS puts it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast