+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My CBS TAR contact weighs in about applications

My CBS TAR contact weighs in about applications

I've asked my CBS contact person about the application thing, to find out what was up. Here's what she had to say:

CBS has not made any announcement for a renewal of TAR. Therefore, not accepting applications. It was probably a web glitch.

However, if they do renew, that's when applications will go online. I can't speculate either way if that is even going to happen.
    That should lay the speculation to rest for now...

Captain of the World
    Thanks John,

you da man.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    No TAR5 yet ? Sadness in the air...

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    I hope it gets renewed. And soon!

I have to admit that if I had to give the official word on this situation, that is what I would say. From the updated pdf's though (dates set for a TAR 5) I'll continue to believe something's brewing

Thanks John!

It was probably a web glitch.
    WTF?

That was one impressive "glitch". It went out to CBS's webserver(s) and created folders and files. And those files it created weren't just copies of TAR4 files, they were "glitched" to have potentially believable dates, etc. within them. I sure hope CBS keeps an eye out for more "glitches", because these kinds of "glitches" could really wreak havoc on their website.

If you go to a www . cbs . com "subpage" that does not exist, you will get the screen with David Letterman at the top, and a message that says something like "you goofed, bet you were looking for your favorite show". Then there is a drop-down box you can select from. Try it with these...

www.cbs.com/penguins/live/at/antarctica

www.cbs.com/the/fort/is/awesome

www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor99

See what I mean. Those pages simply don't exist. They are not there.

BUT
    When you go to our beloved www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race5 you get a forbidden access type message. THAT PAGE IS THERE. Otherwise we'd get David Letterman waving at us. That is not a "glitch".

Maybe the "glitch" was that page and its files being made available. But the page and contents were there and still are there--we just cannot get to them.

Wanna-be TAR Racer invisible777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    WTF?

That was one impressive "glitch". It went out to CBS's webserver(s) and created folders and files. And those files it created weren't just copies of TAR4 files, they were "glitched" to have potentially believable dates, etc. within them. I sure hope CBS keeps an eye out for more "glitches", because these kinds of "glitches" could really wreak havoc on their website.

No way that could be a glitch. Someone had to manually create the files, the folders and then physically upload it through FTP. Moreover, the physical PDF file had Amazing Race 5 imprinted on the top of it, along with other "TAR-5-personalized" information. My guess is they have everything ready to go for TAR5, someone at the CBS web department just misunderstood the directions given to them.
    "Reality is merely an illusion abeit a very pesistent one."

Let's assume for a second that the apps that appeared briefly are the real ones, but were just made available prematurely.

I looked back through all of my info I have for TAR and here is what I found...
    TAR1--apps unknown.
    TAR2--apps were taken for 33 days, announced on a Mon, due on a Fri.
    TAR3--apps were taken for 28 days, announced on a Thu, due on a Wed.
    TAR4--apps were taken for 43 days, announced on a Fri, due on a Fri.

So, the shortest they have ever taken apps was 28 days.

If we assume the Wednesday, October 8, 2003 due date is valid, they would need to start taking apps on Thursday, September 11, 2003 if they wanted to take them for 28 days.

So, today is Tue, Sep 9.
    * They could announce today and it would be 30 days until Oct 8.
    * Or tomorrow Wed Sep 10 would give them 29 days.
    * Or Thur Sep 11 would give them 28 days (as explained above).
    * Or even Fri Sep 12, would give them 27 days.
    They've never announced on a weekend. And, by next Monday they would be down to only 24 days--far shorter than ever before.

So, I'd say if they don't announce by this Fri, Sep 12, then we cannot trust the dates that were in the now-unavailable TAR5 apps. It is not impossible, but it is unlikely that the Oct 8 date is valid.

And, if another week goes by past Fri, Sep 19, then I'd say with almost 100% certainty that Oct 8 is a bogus date.

I can see CBS saying to whatever resident web designer they have "hey, let's set up a TAR5 page, just in case, and update the dates and stuff - but don't make it public."

The making-it-public was the glitch, not the creation of the documents. If they decide not to renew the show, you'd never see them. If they decide to renew the show, they can "go live" immediately.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    So, I'd say if they don't announce by this Fri, Sep 12, then we cannot trust the dates that were in the now-unavailable TAR5 apps. It is not impossible, but it is unlikely that the Oct 8 date is valid.

And, if another week goes by past Fri, Sep 19, then I'd say with almost 100% certainty that Oct 8 is a bogus date.
    On a lot of other applications for reality shows, they always have a place that lists if you'd be willing to do the show at a later time if your not selected for this edition. CBS could still accept new applications due by Oct. 8th if they also use previous applications. I'm sure they'd have enough to give them a variety of people to chose from if they didn't wait 28-40+ days for new applications to come in. And if they want to film in Jan., air in Mar., they'd have to make up there minds pretty quick.
    Also, on a side note, in TV Guide this week CBS was given a Jeers in the Cheers and Jeers column for how they treat AR vs Survivor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast