+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: They're using casting agents now?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Levdrakon
    Maybe the casting agents did bring in many teams to be interviewed. It's still going to look a bit unfair given that two of the top three teams were picked. I doubt that the casting agents found the same number of teams from people sitting in bars in LA as there were applications from among the general public. So if you are picked by agents in LA, your odds are much, much better.

If the casting agents went up to people and said "oh, you're just what we're looking for, no, don't tell me your name just go to the cbs.com website and fill out the application" then I'd figure it was pretty fair. Otherwise, they leave themselves open to the whole process looking suspicious.
    Maybe it's just me, but I still don't "get" what is "not fair" about applying for any reality series. These are not (and have never been) equal opportunity lotteries. It's not like you're one of several thousand applicants vying for 12 university-subsidized dormitory slots. The producers of these television shows are always looking for specific types of individuals so they can get a certain dynamic mix that they hope will interact in interesting ways and provide compelling unscripted dialogue.

Casting agents are probably told to look out for certain visual "eye candy" types and to bring them in for further interviewing. If I had to speculate wildly, I'd say that they brought in many attractive couples but few passed muster at the interview sessions.

Despite the bland personalities D&J and to some degree, R&C have been accused of exhibiting (unfairly for both, I might add), these two teams likely demonstrated wit, smarts and self-confidence to succeed, hence they got put on the short-list.

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    Maybe it's just me, but I still don't "get" what is "not fair" about applying for any reality series.
    Yup, it's just you.

these two teams likely demonstrated wit, smarts and self-confidence to succeed, hence they got put on the short-list.
    I think they were already on the short list, and just made it to the much, much shorter likely winner list. Just my opinion, though.

I also wonder why it is always bars/clubs that dominate "where" contestants are "found". Why are they not looking for real people at grocery stores, movie theaters, shopping malls. Does there need to be loud music playing, alcohol being consumed, and dancing and people dressed in their "going out" clothes to determine if they are "right" for a show. Perplexing to me.

I could understand looking for contestants on "Love/Relationship/Dating" type shows at bars/clubs, but why would those be the places to look for TAR contestants? Even for Survivor or Big Brother?

I still believe that the applications are the main source of finding TAR contestants. And, I believe only once the production staff goes to an initial interview city do they then "look" for other potential applicants. Then once they are done with their one or two days of interviews in that city they are done "looking" there. It's basically okay with me--unless of course I learn that I am way off.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    I really dont like the idea but i dont mind it becuz after all its CBS choice, production, they do whatever they want. I am pretty sure reichen and chip and david and chip arent the only ones the casting agents found for interviews.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    For those who don't know, there's quite a bit of work involved in putting together an application for TAR. To begin with, each teammate has to fill out a 12-page questionaire. You have to include individual passport pictures, as well as a current photo showing both teammates together. Most importantly, you have to jointly make a 5-minute video tape talking about why you want to be on The Amazing Race. Then you package it all up, mail it -- and most likely never hear another thing. (They don't even bother sending you a "Thanks, but no thanks" letter.)
    Hey, thanks for that info. My friend and I are looking to apply for the next Race (I have faith there'll be another) and I came to FORT hoping someone would sketch out what the process was like.

A couple of questions: The 12-page questionnaire - any essay questions, or mostly straightforward yes/no/fill-in-blanks? As for passport pictures, do you mean passport-sized pics, or do you have to have a valid passport at the time of application & send a photocopy or something to verify?

I'd be hugely grateful if you (or someone who's applied in the past) could post answers...

You must have atleast applied for a passport at the time of application, and the application will specify exactly what you need to send them.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    You must have atleast applied for a passport at the time of application, and the application will specify exactly what you need to send them.
    Thanks John!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by zirko
    Hey, thanks for that info. My friend and I are looking to apply for the next Race (I have faith there'll be another) and I came to FORT hoping someone would sketch out what the process was like.

A couple of questions: The 12-page questionnaire - any essay questions, or mostly straightforward yes/no/fill-in-blanks? As for passport pictures, do you mean passport-sized pics, or do you have to have a valid passport at the time of application & send a photocopy or something to verify?

I'd be hugely grateful if you (or someone who's applied in the past) could post answers...
    zirko, I have a copy of an old application from AR3 saved on my computer. I can post the link if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    zirko, I have a copy of an old application from AR3 saved on my computer. I can post the link if you'd like.
    That would be most excellent of you, karalott. Thanks!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

application link

Here's the link to the AR3 application. Let me know if it doesn't work.

http://web.archive.org/web/200206072...plication.html

+ Reply to Thread