+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: They're using casting agents now?

I personally HATE the use of casting agents to select the people for the show. I recognize that it is CBS's show and they have the right to choose their contestants any way they like. They have not made any promises to anybody that people would get selected through the application process so I guess they have every right to select people any way they want to. But that being said, I hate their process.

Why waste people's time and money through this whole registration process, just send your casting agents out to find people and be done with it. How totally unfair to all those who submitted their registrations. How totally deflating. I had no idea they were using this process to choose people, and it just left me with a sick feeling. Then on top of it 2 of the finalists come from that group. PLEASE CBS - STOP WASTING PEOPLE"S TIME AND MONEY! I actually had thought about putting in an application for this show at one time but now forget it. I don't even understand why they bother with the whole application process, wouldn't it be easier just to send your people out to the bars and other places and when you see the "molded character" you are looking for to sign them up. It has to be cheaper to CBS to do it through their casting agents. But I guess then, CBS would actually have to be honest with the American people and heaven forbid that they actually do that.

You can bet that being selected is way more than just your foot in the door also. You can bet those casting agents went right back to CBS and told them these people are perfect for the show, you gotta see these guys. The interview process from there is more formality than anything else, you can be sure of that. Also if I am not mistaken from reading the application process isn't it true that the initial interview, if you get that far is at regional locations at the contestants expense to travel there. What do you want to bet that these guys never had to pay a dime, I am sure CBS who hand picked them ( and since they had no initial interest of their own) made sure all that was taken care of.

Well I guess I also wish CBS just would use one way or the other - either casting agents or the registration process, but not both. You can't tell me me that the initial casting selection of Reichen and Chip and David and Jeff weren't along similar lines of trying to find another Derek and Drew. Well they found them and surprise, surprise - 1st and 3rd. :mad:

I hear Belly's is a good place to find reality show contestants. Half the crowd is casting agents, the other half is wannabe reality stars.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    AI auditions are not exactly as portrayed onscreen either. Yes, if you line up to audition, you get a tryout but the vast majority of hopefuls never get to sing for Simon, Paula and Randy. The applicants are all pre-screened by AI staffers who determine which ones have enough talent and deserve to audition for the judges or are so bad that they also warrant camera time to spice up the tv show.

Sorry if I burst the last reality show bubble.
    Well, you did, but in the interest of truth, I appreciate your input.

However, in the case of AI, at least the screening process is being conducted by an "in-house" staff.

Maybe we are all better off now that we can look at these shows with a jaundiced eye.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I hear Belly's is a good place to find reality show contestants. Half the crowd is casting agents, the other half is wannabe reality stars.
    Well, we've had some of our best and brightest come from that wonderful place in LA. There was an article that said the trick to getting on a show was saying your a former employee there, and that you would defiantly be in.
    Here's something else I came across, and sorry if this has already been discussed. Gerard said that he remembered seeing JoKe at the AR3 finals, but that they weren't selected because they knew the twins. Fro the way he made sound, the casting people pretty much guaranteed them a spot on AR4. Tian said in an interview that they had also applied to AR3, but their paperwork was lost. I know contestants often apply several times to a show before being excepted, and we've heard about people appling to one show and being put on another. But do these people like the models and JoKe have to reapply and go through all the interview process again, or are they just called up and told when their leaving? To me, this seems almost as unfair as casting agents. At least on the Survivor application, it says you have to fill it out and send it in even if you've already applied.

All I need is the names of the casting agents, to know the cities they live in and the places they frequent and off I go. It's time to go make freinds with the right people, and be in the right place at the right time.

The sad thing was that all those other people who applied and really wanted to get on the show and here's Reichen who apparently doesn't even know the show exists and he just falls into it. The casting agents ruin the integrity of the whole application process.

But I do understand it is CBS's show and they have every right to do exactly what they want to do. I guess I should just forget about it and enjoy the show. But if I ever really wanted to get on the show I don't know if I would use the application process or not.

Probably the biggest problem I had initially with this was the whole timing of it all. Here is what I mean. Reichen says they were "found" after a particular football game. Look it up, that game took place on OCTOBER 19, 2002. The applications stated, and I quote, "Applications must be received by Friday, September 20th at 5pm." So, they definitely did NOT get "found" before the "regular" applicants had to send their stuff in.

Earlier in the application it says, "The dates and times of the semi-finalist interviews will be set by the Producers in late October or early November of 2002." So, maybe they allow agents to "find" additional applicants up until the initial interviews. Reichen says he had returned to LA so it was definitely in the time range of the initial interviews.

If, and this is a very BIG IF, all "applicants" could be on equal footing at the initial interviews, then I'd have no problem with people being "found". As long as EVERYONE has to go through the same process from that point forward, then I am okay with a mixture of "real" applicants and "found" applicants.

Here is what I think probably occurred. Applications are sent in. They are reviewed and several are selected for initial interviews in various cities. Then when the Production Staff is in those cities they solicit additional applications from the locals there. An ad in a newspaper, a booth at a local mall maybe, radio stations, TV stations, etc. Show up at Location X at Time Y and be interviewed for TAR. That's really not much different than a blurb at the end of an episode of TAR or a pop-up on the website.

Ideally EVERYONE should have to submit their applications and videos by the deadline, and go to initial and final interviews. But, I can see possibly "finding" additional applicants WHILE they are at the initial interview cities. That is not perfect, but acceptable in my mind. Just because someone maybe had not watched the show, or visited the website to know about applications shouldn't eliminate them from consideration. If they stumble upon the initial interviews or hear about them, then okay. With one pre-requisite. ALL of the "real" applicants that were selected for that city MUST be interviewed. Then, if time permits, they interview any "found" applicants that they have time for.

A few examples to "prove" my point, that they are only "finding" these applicants in interview cities.

Danny & Oswald were "found" in Miami, which was an interview city for TAR2.

Reichen & Chip and David & Jeff were "found" in LA, which was an interview city for TAR4.

As long as they are not actively scouring the nation for applicants, and as long as they only do it while in interview cities, I can live with it.

I'd like to apply for a future TAR, and this discourages me a little, but I wouldn't let it stop me from applying. After all, if I don't apply I am assured of "only" getting to watch as 12 other teams scurry around the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    Probably the biggest problem I had initially with this was the whole timing of it all. Here is what I mean. Reichen says they were "found" after a particular football game. Look it up, that game took place on OCTOBER 19, 2002. The applications stated, and I quote, "Applications must be received by Friday, September 20th at 5pm." So, they definitely did NOT get "found" before the "regular" applicants had to send their stuff in.
    Doesn't seem fair does it? I suppose it could be that after having a month to look at all the applications they still hadn't found some promising hot, guy-guy teams so they sent the casting agents out to find some. I highly, highly doubt that tho.

I have to wonder too, once they found their "hot" gay team, and their "hot" male buddy team, did they then stop considering the other gay & male buddy teams they'd been considering, that had sent in applications?

It looks like in retrospect that once a casting agent finds you, you're pretty much a shoe in and they discard the other applicants that fit that type.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Levdrakon
    It looks like in retrospect that once a casting agent finds you, you're pretty much a shoe in and they discard the other applicants that fit that type.
    And how exactly do we know that? Far more likely that there were many teams brought in by casting agents to be interviewed.

what is a casting agent???

hi does anyone know what a casting agent is??
    thnx
    steff

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    And how exactly do we know that? Far more likely that there were many teams brought in by casting agents to be interviewed.
    You're right, we don't "know" that. To me it just looks like it might kinda have been that way.

Maybe the casting agents did bring in many teams to be interviewed. It's still going to look a bit unfair given that two of the top three teams were picked. I doubt that the casting agents found the same number of teams from people sitting in bars in LA as there were applications from among the general public. So if you are picked by agents in LA, your odds are much, much better.

If the casting agents went up to people and said "oh, you're just what we're looking for, no, don't tell me your name just go to the cbs.com website and fill out the application" then I'd figure it was pretty fair. Otherwise, they leave themselves open to the whole process looking suspicious.

+ Reply to Thread