+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: They're using casting agents now?

Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    Luck plays a hugh part in every reality series. It was luck that RC and DJ were in places to be seen by talent / casting agents. It was luck that they were ultimately chosen. It was luck that put them in the final three, and it was very good luck that enabled RC to win the race.
    Again, ITA. After reading most of the posts here, I've realized that Production has every right to employ casting agents--it is their show after all, and recruiting contestants that could provide some eye candy for additional entertainment value isn't that bad, mainly because anything that happens during the race itself is unpredictable and depends on a lot of factors, luck most of all. I guess this is the reality (pun so intended) of Reality TV, which we should all accept.

Please don't take it against these recruited contestants; they were not "pre-selected" as some have put it--read their interviews carefully again, and they state that they were asked to go through the casting process, interviews and all.

So knowing all this now, will it dissuade me from watching TAR5, if there will ever be one? Nope. Will it prevent me and my friend from applying for future TARs? Nope--we'll just have to try harder. Shows like TAR are there mainly for entertainment value, and the fact that I love the show and the teams means that it's succeeded, casting agents and all.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    I know casting agents is wrong but still, I am pretty sure Reichen and Chip and David and Jeff arent the only ones the casting agents picked to do the interviews. Maybe a million teams the casting agents picked were rejected for all we know. I also feel its not fair that all the ppl had to submitt their apps that they worked hard on and not get a reply but then again, life is never fair. The companies just want weird, thrilling teams they think viewers would like and thats how they did it.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DarKensoul7
    I know casting agents is wrong but still, I am pretty sure Reichen and Chip and David and Jeff arent the only ones the casting agents picked to do the interviews. Maybe a million teams the casting agents picked were rejected for all we know. I also feel its not fair that all the ppl had to submitt their apps that they worked hard on and not get a reply but then again, life is never fair. The companies just want weird, thrilling teams they think viewers would like and thats how they did it.
    For teams picked by casting agents, did they have to send in audition videos? Just wondering.

I think some of you are forgetting that the casting agents just get the teams' feet in the door. They basically skip the sending in the application part, but otherwise both sides go through exactly the same thing. I'm sure there have been people that casting agents tried to get on that for one reason or another did not make the final race, they all have to go through interviews, and just because they were selected by casting agents is more akin to being granted a meeting with a modeling agency. You get the meeting, that's great, but it doesn't mean you'll be able to get a modeling job out of it. Same applied to being selected by casting agents. You get to meet the people at CBS, but it doesn't mean you'll sitll be able to get on the race.

I know it's still loads better then not even being given the chance, but just wanted to state that just because these teams were selected by casting agents did NOT guarantee them any spot in the race.

TheFlying, my specific problem with it is that it invalidates the application process. They get, let's estimate, 10,000 applications, for 12 spots. If 2 or 3 of those spots are taken by "cast" people, then the chances of your application getting you on the show just dropped 25%, from "almost impossible" to "damn near impossible".

Quote Originally Posted by John
    If 2 or 3 of those spots are taken by "cast" people, then the chances of your application getting you on the show just dropped 25%, from "almost impossible" to "damn near impossible".
    And I might add:

If 2 of those spots are taken by "cast" people who are young, buff, Alpha Male-type teams, then the chances of legitimate applicants having a shot at winning TAR are practically NIL.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    And I might add:

If 2 of those spots are taken by "cast" people who are young, buff, Alpha Male-type teams, then the chances of legitimate applicants having a shot at winning TAR are practically NIL.
    Who exactly are "legitimate applicants"? Those who filled out the standard applications and sent them in? Sorry to disillusion you further but their chances of getting on TAR (never mind winning) were practically nil to begin with. All teams are cast, whether initially recruited or picked from a pile of applications. The show is always looking for specific types to fill particular niches the producers have in mind. There is no randomness about this process; applicants are not part of a lottery process in which all have the same odds of getting picked.

FORT Fogey

Innocence Lost

I'm afraid that what we are hearing is true.

Like fluff posted earlier, ever since Big Brother when the rumors first circulated, the shows lost whatever spontaneity to which they might once have aspired by holding auditions for "regular people."

Perhaps it's a loss of our innocence to find these things out. However, I believe that even the so-called reality shows work along "show business" guidelines. Once it was discovered that there are too many people to go through a regular audition process, agents were hired to find and recruit potential contestants with a smaller "loser factor." I suppose it's more cost effective, but it's very disappointing.

I think that one of the few shows that still holds "open auditions" is American Idol, because they make the process an important part of the show where we can all laugh, point our finger and say, "Did that person really think they can sing?"

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirl
    I think that one of the few shows that still holds "open auditions" is American Idol, because they make the process an important part of the show where we can all laugh, point our finger and say, "Did that person really think they can sing?"
    AI auditions are not exactly as portrayed onscreen either. Yes, if you line up to audition, you get a tryout but the vast majority of hopefuls never get to sing for Simon, Paula and Randy. The applicants are all pre-screened by AI staffers who determine which ones have enough talent and deserve to audition for the judges or are so bad that they also warrant camera time to spice up the tv show.

Sorry if I burst the last reality show bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin
    There is no randomness about this process; applicants are not part of a lottery process in which all have the same odds of getting picked.
    Actually, I think there is a great deal of randomness about the process. And I do think there's a "lottery" of sorts involved. I don't believe that the producers honestly review the thousands of applications they receive. If they truly did, then I don't think there would be the need to use casting agents, and participants wouldn't need to be found hanging out in bars.

I think all applicants should have the same chance of being picked -- that is, they should at least have their apps looked at, and they shouldn't be "competing" with casting agents. Either use the apps to select the whole cast or use agents to recruit them all.

It also seems that the producers were not just casting for participants to fill a certain niche, but were instead casting for potential winners of TAR4. Both Chip & Reichen and David & Jeff fit the mold of past TAR winners Rob & Brennan and Chris & Alex.

Did they really need an Alpha Male team in the race again -- let alone two of them? Were the producers that afraid of another Flo winning, that they had to stack the deck? And, even if they did, couldn't they have found Alpha Males from amongst the thousands of applications they received? Though C & R had the "married" thing going for them, you can't tell me that D & J were the most dynamic team you've ever seen.

+ Reply to Thread