+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: They're using casting agents now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunasola
    To be honest, their method of casting wouldn't affect whether I watched the show or not if I wasn't applying. I don't like the thought that my carefully put-together package might not even get opened.
    That's sorta my thing: don't say you get your people from applications, have thousands of people send them in, and then end up casting teams. It just seems a bit dishonest. Part of what I like about it is that it's fans, and people who put forth the effort to get on the show, who get to run the race. :mad:

Having said that, nothing in the world would keep me from watching TAR5!!!!
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer2002
    I personally don't care how the cast of TAR is chosen, as long as I get to see TAR.
    I do care. The continue usage of Casting Agents taints the show for me. It used to be my favorite show, but now it is borderline only. I may watch it only if I have nothing else better to do.
    Besides no one can say they don't like the eye candy we sometimes get.
    For me, travel and real contestants are more important than "eye candy" (see my sig line bellow). Moreover, the top eye candies in the last 2 races for me were Jill and Kelly, both real applicants.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

Yes, but Kelly is a model, one of the types of contestants people usually gripe about on these shows. How do we know for a fact she was a "real" applicant anyway? She and Jon could've been approached by somebody scouting in Miami.
    Last edited by Jer2002; 10-14-2003 at 06:02 AM.

Leo
    Premium Member
    How do we know for a fact she was a "real" applicant anyway? She and Jon could've been apprached by somebody scouting in Miami.
    The FORT interview of Kelly and Jon includes the following line from Jon:

Kelly didn't want to be on the race. I had to talk her into it. It took on a life of it's own. Here we are at the final casting interview, and by that time it was already too late.
    From the way Jon phrased it, I'm as sure as I can be that they did originally apply. Moreover, if they had, it would have been pretty clear from the interview answers. D&J and R&C's answers were pretty unequivocal.

It bugs me big time that they use casting agents to pick the teams. If they are trying to pre-determine the outcome then use casting agents instead of the apllication process. Notice that 2 of the 3 finalists from the last show were hand picked by the casting agents who went looking for people. I agree that those teams don't always come in first but I think from an earlier post I read, none of them had ever been worse than 6th either.

If you are going to go out and hand pick these great physically fit teams, then go out and hand pick all of the teams that way but don't put all the other teams at a disadvantage right off the start, not when those teams worked their tails off to get on the show. These guys did nothing, R/C didn't even know about the show. If you want to pick a physically fit team from the people who applied, fine - but don't go picking Superman up from off the street.

Certainly being physically fit does not guarantee anything in the race, but lets face it, there are some challenges where it is an advantage to have physical strength and the record does give evidence that those teams have done well on this show.

In my opinion they are absolutely destroying the integrity of the application process by doing what they are doing. And maybe the teams the casting agents have gone out and picked were not all huge physical specimens( I dont really know) but R/C and D/J certainly were and voila 1st and 3rd.

And even if these guys did have to go through interviews, you can be absolutely certain those interviews were mere formalities and that both of them already had Gold Stars next to their names before they talked to one person. And you can bet those casting agents went back to the production people and said you have to see these guys, they are perfect. Well surprise, surprise they were - 1st and 3rd. If you want to pre determine the outcome then please - just drop the whole application farce and send people out to get who you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    From the way Jon phrased it, I'm as sure as I can be that they did originally apply.
    Moreover, contestants Josh and/or Dave mentioned in this forum that they met Jill/JonVito and Kelly/Jon during the application process for TAR 3 and 4.

Apparently, some had applied for TAR 3 but didn't get chosen until TAR 4.
    Last edited by Bill747; 10-15-2003 at 02:12 PM.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Yes, but Kelly is a model, one of the types of contestants people usually gripe about on these shows. How do we know for a fact she was a "real" applicant anyway? She and Jon could've been approached by somebody scouting in Miami.
    Kelly and Jon originally applied for AR3, but knew Derek and/or Drew, so obviously they couldn't cast them (Gerard made a comment somewhere that he remembered seeing them at the casting call in LA.)
    What makes me wonder about this is do these guys have to go through the application and interview process again, or are they told "we'll use you for next season?" I know with Survivor it says you have to apply again even if you've applied before, but now I'm beginning to doubt that as well. This seems almost as unfair as using casting agents. If they already have 3 or 4 teams picked from a previous season, that really decreases a new applicant's chances for making it on the show even more.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-15-2003 at 08:49 PM.

Casting Agents

Here's my take on the use of casting agents:
    Yeah, it sucks. As a team that applied it did cost us money and take up time and energy, BUT, we had a great time doing everyting.
    I personally have not enjoyed the casted teams as much (even withoout knowing they were cast) but from the message boards lots of others have. I love TAR and will watch it regardless because no matter who they choose and how they choose them (although I would love it to be me! ) it is still a show I can watch and see people travel around the world and do exciting and really cool stuff! I love watching the players interact w/ the locals and explore new places. No matter if they cast someone or pick from videos, whether it is someone who is a fan or not they are still going to travel the world and show me cool places and cool stunts.
    My husband and I approached the app. process as a long shot, but fun thing to do, whether we are chosen or not!
    Kati

Well, I feel really bad for you if you would have been the 11th or 12th team they selected but ended up getting excluded because they found Reichen/Chip in a bar somewhere and David/Jeff who knows where.

My point is, don't tell people they have to fill out a 12 page application, send in a video and go through 2 interviews and then turn around and go out on the street and grab two teams that never did a thing. It is a lie, and unfair to those who did what they were supposed to do.

If that is the way they are going to do things then they should be upfront about it and tell people from the start that's the way it is being handled. If you are upfront about it at least everybody understands the process and it's up to them how they want to deal with it. When you deal with people in this under handed way, you are going to get a lot of upset people that resent what is being done.

Apparently they were afraid that people would not apply if they were actually upfront and truthful with them. Personally, I would have had a lot more respect for a truthful and honest approach.

did you guys know...

That John Corso (runner-up with Kelly on season 4) is also the writer for the Amazing Race?

So between casting agents and their crew, do any of us little people have a chance?

+ Reply to Thread