+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Our Interview with Kelly and Jon

What made you want to be on The Amazing Race?

Kelly: An adventure.

Jon: Kelly didn't want to be on the race. I had to talk her into it. It took on a life of it's own. Here we are at the final casting interview, and by that time it was already too late.

Kelly: I had a panic attack, because I know how I am - I know I'm high-strung and "Flo-like", I guess you could say. But Jon really coaxed me, and he said "what happens on the race stays on the race", and that got me going. And sure enough, we had our highs and lows, it brought out the worst in us and the best in us, but we're still together, we choose to stay together, and that was one thing we can put on our big list of things we've done.

I am gald to see Kelly and Jon are still together and didn't let what happens on the race affected their relationship...

Quote Originally Posted by tallgirl
    I am gald to see Kelly and Jon are still together and didn't let what happens on the race affected their relationship...
    Kelly and Jon are one of the most compatible couples I have ever seen... they are like, made for each other...

Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    Kelly and Jon are one of the most compatible couples I have ever seen... they are like, made for each other...
    I totally agree with you.

Great Interview John. I love to hear what these teams have to say because you only get a glimpse of what they are like on the program.

I thought this team added a lot of personality to the show. I didn't really like them that much and I thought they treated people badly including each other. Some of the things they would say to each other can not be good for a relationship. Kelly calling Jon an idiot all the time and I wouldn't even repeat some of the things Jon said to Kelly, but they are going to have to deal with that. They did work well together as a team. Both of them brought a lot of strengths to the team.

I think the thing I most liked about them was that Kelly was not a wimp. That gal was scared but she got out there and took on those challenges and some of those challenges, I thought, were very very hard. Tian was a thrill seeker so she naturally brought that do anything attitude to the race. You could tell that Kelly was scared but she did the challenges anyway and some of them that she didn't have to. She could have let Jon do them but she faced her fears and tried them.

I thought Jon was very very smart and deceptively strong. Much stronger than I thought when I first saw them on the show. Jon made a few mistakes like flipping the dune buggy but he also knew how to get the most out of Kelly and he pretty well nailed the flow of the show with which episodes were going to be non-elimination rounds. I definetly think he was trying to push the other teams buttons too and get them distracted and was trying to get them to lose their focus. Not a trait I admire him for. But they were a very good team.

hi i chatted to kelly

kelly i'm not sure if it was relaly u who chatted to me but i have a strong feeling it was! lol were u robs_first_love and did u come into the ar4 chatroom! just wodering thnx
    ur biggest fan of u and jon
    steff

I always thought Jon was probably the best competitor on the show (smarter than Chip and Reichen and faster than the clowns), and while Kelly was definitely a very weak competitor overall, she did show guts in completing difficult tasks. They did bring a certain level of interest to the show, giving us someone to dislike (or humor for other viewers who like that type of humor).

However, I am glad that a team that "craps on people" (Kelly's words) did not win. I am glad the mean-spirited jerk did not win despite being mentally and physically the best competitor. I am glad that the two didn't break up, but I find it annoying that Jon has to point out that they are the only couple left, which is again trying to build themselves up by taking a jab at someone else.

I don't understand when Kelly says that Jon's making her laugh at the expense of other people got her through the terrible train rides, etc. Aren't there better ways of getting thru tough experiences?

As a game depending on a great deal of luck, Kelly and Jon could have won the thing. It would have been disappointing to have juvenile behavior appeared to have vanquished those that competed much more admirably.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrjar
    I always thought Jon was probably the best competitor on the show

I don't understand when Kelly says that Jon's making her laugh at the expense of other people got her through the terrible train rides, etc. Aren't there better ways of getting thru tough experiences?

As a game depending on a great deal of luck, Kelly and Jon could have won the thing.
    I agree Jon was very strong. But team vs. team, I don't agree they were faster or stronger than Jon & Al (don't mess with my clowns, man!), but I would agree they had the edge on Chip & Reichen. If nothing else, they had the psychological & emotional edge.

But you're right, luck has a huge part in the show and luck is what decided the winner this time. If it had been skill vs skill, I think the ending could very well have been different.

Lots of people tease & make jokes about other people. Jon & Kelly were just really open about it and that's probably why they were picked for the show. I can't blame them for it. There has to be a little pressure from the producers to spice things up a bit and that's what Jon & Kelly did. They bickered. They fought. They made up. They teased. They joked. Jon took his underwear off! I think TAR owes much of its ratings to those two.

I think they were the best example of what a real couple should be. Sure you have fights, you have "stress", you have ups & downs. But through it all their love for each other was never a doubt. External pressures were never a threat to those two because far and away the most important thing to them was each other. And they had fun too. What's not to like?

If there's an all-star version of the show, I'd very much like to see those two again. And the producers of TAR would be fools not to include them.

Quote Originally Posted by Levdrakon
    I agree Jon was very strong. But team vs. team, I don't agree they were faster or stronger than Jon & Al (don't mess with my clowns, man!), but I would agree they had the edge on Chip & Reichen. If nothing else, they had the psychological & emotional edge. ...

Lots of people tease & make jokes about other people. Jon & Kelly were just really open about it and that's probably why they were picked for the show. I can't blame them for it. There has to be a little pressure from the producers to spice things up a bit and that's what Jon & Kelly did. They bickered. They fought. They made up. They teased. They joked. ...

I think they were the best example of what a real couple should be. Sure you have fights, you have "stress", you have ups & downs. But through it all their love for each other was never a doubt. External pressures were never a threat to those two because far and away the most important thing to them was each other. And they had fun too. What's not to like?
    I meant Jon was the best, not the team of Jon and Kelly. Chip and Reichen and especially Al and Jon were the best teams. Al and Jon were by far, far my favorite team.

The rest of what you said, I don't even know where to start.

Can't say that they epitomize for me what a real couple should be. And, the fact that lots of people tease and make fun of other people just doesn't cut it as an excuse for me. The teasing of Reichen and Chip, I now excuse as that was apparently (edited) give and take, but that certainly was not always the case.

jen
    FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    Not only that, they clearly love each a lot and they are willing to accept each other's weaknesses. And they have a lot of fun on the way! I think they will have a long and happy marriage. Although R&C is my favorite couple, I think the love between Jon and Kelly is every bit as strong, if not stronger.

Jon and Kelly were annoying at first, since they made fun of other people. But I really start to like them towards the end of the show. Kelly is such a brave woman and she fights hard without whining. They are honest people--what you see is what you get. I don't think they make fun of others in a mean spirit--they call R&C Chipendales, Jeff and David Goats, etc --this is not mean. I suppose the millie the mole thing is a bit mean, but I think Millie and Chuck weren't nice to Jon and Kelly to start with. I used to be a millie and chuck fan, but now I like Jon and Kelly more.

FORT Newbie
    Although I can't say I cared much for Kelly and Jon during most of the race (I did not find their humor offensive but I did find it unfunny and tiring) I do have to agree with everyone that commented on Jon's ability as a racer. I realized during the final leg that Jon was a kick-ass competitor and probably the most over-all (athletic as well as strategically) sound of the final 6. And Kelly was a trooper. She has no comparisons to Flo to concern herself with.

They ran a great final leg. And despite the fact that I wasn't actively rooting for them at the time, I think in retrospect, I would have actually liked to have seen them win it. Oh well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast