+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rules for the Fast Forward

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    It's completely fair because it's the same rule for all teams and they are aware of it upfront.

The only way it's not fair is if they change the rules midstream. Of course, then that would make it a Fox reality show, not TAR.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

A Fast Forward is intended to be used as a safety net to avoid elimination heading into the final 3. If you never need that safety net, good for you. But once you've made the final 3, everyone's on equal footing.

I'm not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp. They've been doing it for 4 years now.

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I'm not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp. They've been doing it for 4 years now.
    It's just something else to complain about.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    First, there are lots of newbies.
    Second, ruben_of_205 just wanna make things hard for us by whining non-stop.
    Third, ruben_of_205 just want Kelly and Jon to use theirs to get ahead.

ruben... has a valid point. That is it seems there is no reason not to allow the FF on next-to-last leg. But, I think (s)he probably now understands that it is the rule, where before maybe did not know that. Day one of the race they all know the following, which I am generalizing.
    1--There will be FF on each leg until near the end.
    2--There will be x number of NEL, including the next-to-last leg.
    3--They can use FF only ONE time.
    4--Any time they go for FF and it is gone, tough luck. Get back to the normal tasks, and fast! And try for it again some other leg, if it's not too late for that .

The TAR "Rules Committee" decision to stop FF after leg 11 is arbitrary, but it prevents anyone from leap-frogging everyone near the end when it could matter most. FF is mainly intended for saving your a**, but also could be used to jump ahead a bit even if you're not in terrible position. It is intended to keep you in the race early, but once we reach a certain point in the race, the teams should have to win on equal footing with no FF. If you don't need it during those legs when it is available then kudos to you--you are running a good error free race.

I personally wouldn't care if they arbitrarily had the rule be "no FF after leg 8" or "leg 9" or whatever. As long as it's up-front and known by all teams. They just need to end them sometime before the end. Those final x teams should not need "saving" so no FF being available is okay in my books.

And, if K&J are ruben...'s favorite team then (s)he should be proud of them for getting this far without needing FF. But, understand that they may not have even used it had it been available in leg 12. Who knows. If you are running a good, clean race then going for it could be a distraction. What it MAY gain you, may not be worth the risk.

Hug me!
    Geez.. fine. John.. Rule is a rule but doesn't mean that rule is fair by any mean. This is the first session that I started watching TAR. I can tell you that I don't like some of the rules that TAR had in place. I will not go into detail here because I already suggest my changes to the "changes to TAR" thread.

For other posters... No.. Kelly and Jon wasn't my favorite team. But yeah.. they are my favorite team out of the three remining teams. Since the beginning, I have been rooting for Jon and Al.. then.. Steve & Dave (air traffic controllers) then even at one point, I was rooting for Tian and Jaree when they stopped fighting.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the rule is not fair.

How is the rule not fair?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

FORT Newbie

Hug me!
    fine.. since you asked.
    First of all, I see no reason what so ever why ff can't be offered in the 12th leg of the race. I think for teams that don't need to use the ff to make it to the end should win a vacation or something. You got to give them credits to get to the end without needing to use ff.

Secondly, I think NEL rule is a joke. It is just a way for network to prolong airtime for three more weeks. NEL is unfair to other teams that have to work hard to to make it to the pitstop first and only find out that the slowest team doesn't get eliminated. I mean, it is already very hard for teams to have to deal with their own mistakes, or the natural challenges (like bad weather, pick a wrong car ans such) to make it out ahead. For TPTB to throw in NEL seems so unfair.

Leo
    Premium Member
    There is one good reason to have NELs. If there were not, you'd either have to cut the number of legs or add teams. Adding teams is not a good idea - it's already not easy to keep track of all the teams at the start and adding more would just complicate the problem.

Decreasing the number of legs would not work either. The reason it's 13 legs is that a standard TV season is 13 episodes. One leg, one 1-hour episode.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast