+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: 8/14 Show Discussion Thread (*SPOILERS*)

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    Sorry for the 'stupid argument'! But if this show is 13 episodes long, then that would be about 2 weeks of actual 'Amazing Race', if I'm not mistaken. So in that case, most of these people would have been able to get 2 or 3 weeks off from work, with or without pay!

Chris

I've lived with less than a thousand dollars in the bank before. Yeah, even 2 or 3 weeks off from work with no paychecks coming in would hurt ALOT. Been there, done that thanks to my soon to be ex husband. That's why I say I highly doubt anyone on the show really needs the money too badly. I thought it took longer to tape the actual race. I may be thinking of set up and everything else as well as actual taping when I say atleast 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by klughsgirl03
    I've lived with less than a thousand dollars in the bank before. Yeah, even 2 or 3 weeks off from work with no paychecks coming in would hurt ALOT. Been there, done that thanks to my soon to be ex husband. That's why I say I highly doubt anyone on the show really needs the money too badly. I thought it took longer to tape the actual race. I may be thinking of set up and everything else as well as actual taping when I say atleast 2 months.
    Heck I live with a lot less than $1000 in the bank, each week! I'm just a normal, semi-hard working, American schmoe!

Chris

The entire race, from the time the contestants left home, until they returned, was approximately 6 weeks.

MOST of the contestants do very well financially, and can afford to take that kind of time off.

I personally am insulted by your thought process on this, but I'll leave it at that.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    But wouldn't their families and colleagues get suspicious if they suddenly said that they were going on a trip for 6 long weeks ?

I actually thought the entire race was more than that... Thanks John for the clarification.

Unfortunately I engaged in some extensive (I know no other way) discussions regarding Team NFL and their $ back before they left us. I have since seen the error of my ways, so to speak.

I have said before that there have been several teams in the past that appear to be well off. It is unfortunate that NFL has the disadvantage of us knowing approximately HOW well off they are, while we just have to speculate about the others.

Just to further the point, I'd say it's possible that all 3 final teams in TAR4 are already well off. Possibly, but not likely, as well off as NFL. So when anyone says they are just glad NFL did not win because of $, that may not mean much if the remaining teams already have $ too.

R&C. Given their educations and what we know about their careers up to now. Given they own business. Given the travels that they have talked about. None of these HAS to point to wealth. But collectively they make it seem likely.

K&J. There was some speculation that he was involved in some lucrative transactions in his work. Who knows how much of it he actually got.

D&J. Again, speculation about the home one of them lives in, and the work they do.

So, they could all possibly do without the cool million, but who really knows.

Like many have said before I stand to gain nothing from any of them winning, so who gets the big check does me no good.

Most important to me, I enjoy the show--sometimes because of the what the teams do and who they are, and other times they are just extras in a really good show. It varies week-to-week, season-to-season.

But, there is a prize at the end, and honestly who really wouldn't rather see someone win it that would really change their lives. All things being equal I'd rather see a middle-class winner than an already wealthy winner. But the key there is "all things being equal". If a team of middle-class a**holes were in the finals against a team of nice, friendly well-offs, then "Go Well-Offs!". If a middle-class team has appeared to somehow slip undeservedly into the finals against a well-off team that has run a good, clean, entertaining, deserving race, then again, "Go Well-Offs!".

In other words, I don't want to know if all of the teams are millionaires, I'd rather think there is a good mix of "wealthiness" amongst the teams, just as there is a good mix of gender, age, geography, race, s. orientation. A good (but maybe not perfect) cross-section of the US.

+ Reply to Thread