+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Our Interview With Michael & Kathy

Our Interview With Michael & Kathy

Today, I had the opportunity to speak with Michael and Kathy, the latest team to be eliminated from The Amazing Race 3. Michael & Kathy had a long-distance relationship, but had never spent more than a few days together prior to participating in the race. A gas-station mistake ultimately led to their elimination. Here's a transcript of our interview:

FORT: When you decided to get the hotel room for the night, had you pretty much given up at that point?
    Michael: We tried everything to get our truck going, but we couldn't get anything arranged until 9am the next day. So we pretty much resigned ourselves to being last. If we'd have known it was the gas, we may have tried something different, like draining the tank.

FORT: Did you ever find out the reason for the truck breaking down? Kathy must have handled it well, we didn't see it on camera.
    Michael: The next day at the dealership, they told us.
    Kathy: I couldn't say anything. Michael kept apologizing, and I never in a million years would have thought it was a gasoline problem. Neither of us saw the little sticker, and it never even crossed our minds.

FORT: Do you regret not taking some of the more challenging roadblocks?
    Michael: The only thing we really didn't do was the skydiving. Kathy wanted to skydive, but I wasn't going to do it. The only others were biking and the wave runners, and those are no big deal.

FORT: Michael, why did you choose to swim with dolphins, even though you're not a strong swimmer?
    Michael: It wasn't a big deal. All I had to do was take my shirt off, but Kathy would have had to change into her swimsuit.
    Kathy: He didn't drown, so we're happy.

FORT: What were the teams told about Heather & Eve's elimination?
    Kathy: Actually, we thought we were last coming into the pitstop because my legs had given out. So we were extremely surprised when Aaron & Arianne came in behind us. But we didn't see them for quite a while, and when the four of them came out to the group, I could see it immediately in Heather & Eve's eyes.
    Michael: When we heard that Heather & Eve had come in first, we knew something was wrong immediately.

FORT: Did you just have bad luck with taxis, or was the language a problem?
    Michael: In Scotland, we asked the lady to just keep up with the other taxis, and she refused. She didn't want to drive that fast. So that's how we got lost. In Portugal, we just picked a driver who didn't know where he was going. That was just bad luck.

FORT: What was the cause of the "anti-Twin" sentiment, and do you think it affected your game?
    Michael: We didn't really know them, because we were always in a different "pack" than them, so it was because they were the young alpha-males, but it was kind of a joke, like "get the Twins!" Later on, we had dinner with them and Ken &Gerard at a pitstop, and got to know them pretty well. We liked them, and they were great guys.

FORT: Kathy, did you move to California yet? How is the relationship post-show?
    Kathy: I moved to California right after the show wrapped. It's so much nicer, because before, we had to coordinate planes and stuff, and now we live just a couple of blocks apart. It's much better. Our relationship is going well...I'm looking at Michael, and see he's nodding.

FORT: What one piece of advice would you give to would-be contestants?
    Michael: Save your energy. Don't run unless it's for elimination, because you never know when you'll need the strength.
    Kathy: Run whenever you can, because you never know when it'll save you. But I see Michael's point, because when it matters, your legs might not be there, like mine.

FORT: Thank you. I just wanted to say, from our users, that you were a fan-favorite. You showed us a good relationship under pressure without too much bickering, and Michael, you're about the most laid-back person we've ever seen on this show.
    Kathy: Thanks. Don't you just want to almost fall asleep when you watch Michael? It's good for keeping us calm under pressure, though.

My thanks to Michael and Kathy, CBS, and the Amazing Race production team. We here at the FORT wish the best of luck to M&K in their relationship, after the spotlight fades a little.

Excellent, thanks John.

Very nice to know that their relationship is still going strong.
    "That's Numberwang!"

It was nice talking to them. They seem like well-grounded people, and they handled the pressure of putting a long-distance relationship in the spotlight pretty well.

I really liked their response to the "advice" question, though.

Great interview, John. I'm glad to read that their relationship is going strong and that Kathy did end up moving to California.

I'm sorry to see them go, but it seems like they handled their defeat quite well.

LG.
    Great interview, John. Thanks to Michael and Kathy for their time and we wish you best of luck in the future. Shoot, John didn't get a chance to tell Michael how much we liked his "Squaking chicken heads" comment for the teams in the anti-twin alliance.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Sorry. I meant to bring it up, but it somehow didn't make my final cut for questions/comments.

Great interview, John! Michael and Kathy seem like a really nice couple. I was happy to see Kathy's big smile at the end of the show last night. And Michael's attempt to talk Flo down over the cliff was so nice! So many other folks would just let an opponent crack up.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I mentioned in another thread that I felt as though we were finally being given an opportunity to get to know them! Very sad that they were the ones to go. I too, am glad to hear that they are living in the same area now
    Best of luck to them
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Newbie
    Good interview, John! I especially liked the question about the twins. I had been wondering if they had committed some heinous act away from the cameras to deserve such scorn.
    I'm glad to hear their relationship is stronger from the race.

I'm not positive the same will be able to be said of Teri and Ian when all is said and done. I'm not sure but it seems that Ian thinks the path to the final pit-stop is paved with irritating chatter, insults to his wife and being the ugliest American ever to depart our shores. If Teri doesn't take off her shoe and beat him with it at some point, I will forever feel that TAR 3 was lacking something.

Anyway, great job, John! Thanks!

great job john!
    i'm kinda sad when kathy and michael got eliminated...they were reallie reallie sweet to each other!!!!
    each time one loves is the only time one ever love...differences of object merely intensify the passion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast