+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TVGuide Online: Matt Roush Comments on Chances of TAR5 and Emmy Win

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar

TVGuide Online: Matt Roush Comments on Chances of TAR5 and Emmy Win

From TVGuide Online's Roush Room: Ask Matt

Question: I've been watching The Amazing Race this summer, and I'm completely in love. I can't believe I let the stigma of "reality TV" keep me from watching the first three seasons of this show! Now I've heard that once again The Amazing Race is on the brink of cancellation. Do you think its chances of survival will be helped by its Emmy nomination in the "reality competition" category, or will that prestige not be enough to balance some of the network's other concerns? Also, do you think it stands a chance of winning over Survivor and American Idol? Molly

Matt Roush: The Emmy nomination can't hurt, but I'm not sure it's enough. Talking to CBS execs last month, I didn't get a very optimistic sense about this show's future. It's very disappointing. But not yet a lost cause. As for winning the Emmy, I think that's an even longer shot. I would probably cast my own vote for Race, but it's hard to argue against American Idol as deserving of an Emmy for its impact and its astonishing ability to galvanize a mass audience. Yes, it's cheesy and corny (and the less said about American Juniors the better), but there's something about Idol that's irresistibly addictive. Race is the genre's class act, but Idol was last year's head of the class.

----
    My comments: I believe the American Idol season that is nominated is the 2nd one that aired this year and not last year's. If it was last year's then it was a great show, definitely better than this years because it was a new concept. But if you compare TAR3 with AI2, TAR3 is miles ahead in my book.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    I read this post somewhere before.... Anyway, well done, NBCDaytimeFan!!!

but just because a show was watched by more people doesn't mean it is better. Are emmy's given for ratings??

I hope TAR lives on for a loooong tme.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

This was discussed in a couple of other threads back when the nomination first came out.

Don't forget this...
    TAR's nomination (which is for TAR3) is for an "area award" which means there is not necessarily ONE winner from the nominees. There could be NO winners. Or, there could be 1, 2, 3, 4 or ALL 5 could win. The voters will be voting on EACH show individually as to whether or not it deserves to win an award. It is not a competition between the nominees.

GO TAR!!!!!!!

And, isn't it nice now that all of CBS's TAR commercials have the big statue logo and "Emmy Nominated" and the voice-over brags about the nomination. It certainly can't hurt to be nominated, and to hopefully win. Although the timing isn't the best. By the time the awards occur TAR4 will be long over and TAR5 will be a long way off still (* fingers crossed *).

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    but just because a show was watched by more people doesn't mean it is better. Are emmy's given for ratings??

I hope TAR lives on for a loooong tme.
    I hope so too... Cali

FORT Regular
    If the people behind TAR are at all smart, and presumably they are, having gotten it this far, I would think a CBS rejection would be a long ways from being the end. Even if the other big three decide to pass, UPN and The WB desperately need a reality show of this calibur and a good following, and then there are various other options beyond that.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    If the people behind TAR are at all smart, and presumably they are, having gotten it this far, I would think a CBS rejection would be a long ways from being the end. Even if the other big three decide to pass, UPN and The WB desperately need a reality show of this calibur and a good following, and then there are various other options beyond that.
    I think Jerry Bruckheimer is a smart fellow. I do not think he would allow CBS to drop TAR as long as CSI is as popular as it is. I don't see him allowing TAR to be cancelled by a network that would do anything to keep his "other" show(s) on. I think that if JB wants to keep TAR, CBS will oblige just to keep the creator of CSI happy. Has JB EVER had a show cancelled that was #21 last week? At the end of the show there are a lot of companies involved with JB to make the show happen.. "Amazing Race Production", "Worldrace" (I think), Touchstone pictures TV... this does not look like a run of the mill syndicated show.

Now as for the show itself - I think the show is a lot like Star Trek. It is a ratings underperformer that is on the brink of cancellation. But it has an extremely strong fanbase. And it is far above of the league of other reality shows. The teams are real people. The premise is not based on back stabbing and manipulation. Nobody is voted off by other contestants or viewers.

My guess is that America is used to seeing "Fear Factor" contestants eat bugs and eyeballs, "Survivor" contestants back stabbing one another, "American Idol" contestants being berated by Simon Cowell, and "Cupid" contestants being berated by gorgeous version of Simon Cowell. American Idol has Simon, Survivor has Jeff, even "Mr. Personality" had Monica Lewenski. The hosts of those shows tries to make a name for themselves by being on TV and making Entertainmaen Tonight. Phil does not. He does his job by introducing the challenges and is not a part of the game until the end of the legs. I think he would do this for free (or it seems that way). What other host would do that?

CBS could have an unbelievable advantage by using this show as a learning tool. Doing that would give it a big and unique ratings tool. Give out literature to schools and prizes to students who can answer geography questions based on TAR. Have local races across towns or states based on the show for - say - a $10,000 prize. More people would gain interest if they new these racers were coming through their hometowns. (And on that note - I think they should do a couple of legs that end within the US early in the game. If they did it late in the game then too many people would know the finalist and would not watch. Doing that would also balance out the complaint of TOO many people to keep track of early in the game.)

Anyway - like Star Trek, it looks like we will have to fight by letter campaign or internet campaign to keep this show on CBS or a major network. If CBS drops it, shouldn't the Travel Channel immediately pick it up?

Anyway - my little rant. Am looking forward to the finale of TAR4 like I looked forward to the final episode of M*A*S*H - it may be the end. But I hope not.
    Last edited by rssrara; 08-08-2003 at 12:35 AM.

FORT Newbie
    Shane said:
    "Even if the other big three decide to pass, UPN and The WB desperately need a reality show of this calibur and a good following, and then there are various other options beyond that."

Let's hope it never comes to that -- with UPN or the WB, the Race would be altered to be unrecognizable. All the racers would be beautiful and in their late teens or early 20s, they would only travel through warm climates so all racers would wear the mandatory bikinis and speedos, and the IQ of all teams combined would never go above the temperature.

FORT Regular
    You just described Big Brother 4.

I have been wondering about the possibility of TAR moving to a different network as well. I agree with the fan base that TAR seems to have, like Star Trek the core fan base would continue to follow TAR and would give any of those other networks great numbers.

But, I was concerned that possibly CBS had the exlusive rights to the show and that they would not be able to make such a move. Also if this type of move is possible who are the key individuals involved with bringing the show to those other networks? I would like to write to these key individuals to show my support for such an undertaking should CBS indeed cancel the show. Maybe if all of us true TAR fans get together and write to these people it will help to encourage them to push forward with this show, and we will be able to continue enjoying our show for years to come.

Does anyone out there have any information as to who we would want to write to about this subject? Would writing to them about this at this point even be appropriate? Where does Phil come in?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast