+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Write to save The Amazing Race

Hug me!
    I think this show is just okay.. not great. I really not sure why they even let old couples or out of shape people compete in this. You know they don't have a chance in hell.

FORT Regular
    The show does this to get a representative group of the whole general populace and maintain diversity among the contestants. Perhaps old people may not fare better than most young people physically, but they may outperform them mentally.

FORT Fan
    In response to 'theschnauzers', in no way in my post did I ever question the 'save our show' letter-writing campaign. I stated, that if a person feels that is what they need to do, then go do that. My point was that I don't feel that there is really an urgency at CBS to cancel this series (regardless of the article by Mr. Barber).

In a reality tv website article under the heading of "CBS Says TAR Could Be Canceled for Low Ratings" (or something to that effect) is totally misleading. No where in any form of communication has CBS said flat-out that it would cancel TAR because of low ratings. The quote that is at the center of this article is by Les Moonves, the CEO of CBS. When asked about TAR during the television critics association summer press tour in July, he said (paraphrasing) "...could TAR's ratings be higher? Sure, I'd be lying if I said they couldn't." Maybe it's just me, but where does someone automatically jump to the conclusion that TAR must be doomed.

Forgive me, but I must keep going back to ratings (which ultimately decides the fate of a so-called "on the bubble" series). TAR4's ratings are consistent with those pulled in by TAR3 during fall 2002. Keep in mind that fewer people watch tv during the summer as opposed to the fall and spring. Considering that TAR has never really been a 'hit' series, the quote by Mr. Moonves could also be applied to the previous three editions. If Mr. Moonves had said something like "...we're going to have to seriously consider the benefits of a fifth season due to developments during this current season...", I might be a little bit more concerned. I think people are reading too much into a one-sentence comment. As far as I know, this is the only mention of TAR during CBS's two-day presentation during the press tour.

TAR may very well be canceled, but as stated in my previous post, the positives of keeping TAR around (for at least a fifth season) outweigh the negatives.

So, in conclusion, write the letters if you feel you need to, but as for myself, I'm cautiously optimistic that CBS will give the go-ahead for a fifth go-around with or without the 'SOS' campaign.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_of_205
    I think this show is just okay.. not great. I really not sure why they even let old couples or out of shape people compete in this. You know they don't have a chance in hell.
    Teri and Ian from TAR3 is an example of an old couple competing in the show.

FORT Regular
    jpoliver, the letter writing campaign to save TAR preceded Mr. Barber's article. It originated at TWoP. My information concerning TAR's status comes from a highly reliable, informed source with known TAR connections (If that source permitted me, I'd say who it is, but I'm not permitted to -- that is the ground rules under which it proceeded -- you'll just have to accept that you would recognize the name). That source was the one who specifically asked me to correct Les Mooves' address that the original TWoP poster had listed incorrectly. He then asked me later to take steps to spread the information and the entire list of addresses, which I have done. It may well be that the odds may be as high as 50-50 for a renewal at this point, but I'm led to believe that absent fan support the way we've been asked to fo, the odds are against renewal absent some intervention. Sitting back and waiting to see what happens will not work.
    Maybe assuring its renewal is not as important to you as it is to others, including myself, but it is important to me. That's why in spite of a heavy workload and a lot of personal responsibilities, I'm still investing time and effort to encourage this as much as possible.
    I got all 18 letters out over the weekend, so if I found the time to do it, and take them to the post office on a Sunday morning to be mailed out, anyone can.
    >|p >|p

Regardless of whether the show is TRULY on the bubble or not, letting the network and the advertisers know that you'd like to see it come back is never a bad idea.

FORT Regular
    If you're wondering whether the letters to Les Mooves at CBS are being read, I received a message today from my contact concerning the Save TAR letter campaign. THe word was to let you all know that "the letters are actually getting to Les [Mooves]."

Keep those letters going, y'all!
    >|p >|p

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_of_205
    Teri and Ian of TAR3 are an older couple and they finished 2nd, just minutes behind the winners.

Yet another proof that TAR is indeed in danger of cancellation. This is taken from the latest edition of Matt Roush's article on TVGuide Online:

Question: I've been watching The Amazing Race this summer, and I'm completely in love. I can't believe I let the stigma of "reality TV" keep me from watching the first three seasons of this show! Now I've heard that once again The Amazing Race is on the brink of cancellation. Do you think its chances of survival will be helped by its Emmy nomination in the "reality competition" category, or will that prestige not be enough to balance some of the network's other concerns? Also, do you think it stands a chance of winning over Survivor and American Idol?

Matt: The Emmy nomination can't hurt, but I'm not sure it's enough. Talking to CBS execs last month, I didn't get a very optimistic sense about this show's future. It's very disappointing. But not yet a lost cause. As for winning the Emmy, I think that's an even longer shot. I would probably cast my own vote for Race, but it's hard to argue against American Idol as deserving of an Emmy for its impact and its astonishing ability to galvanize a mass audience. Yes, it's cheesy and corny (and the less said about American Juniors the better), but there's something about Idol that's irresistibly addictive. Race is the genre's class act, but Idol was last year's head of the class.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Regardless of whether the show is TRULY on the bubble or not, letting the network and the advertisers know that you'd like to see it come back is never a bad idea.
    Well said, John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast