+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changes for TAR

Changes for TAR

If you had the power, what would you change, add or delete from the competition?

For starters, I wouldn't mind seeing a runner up prize for a team who came in a close second at a leg. i.e. a great dinner, souvenir from that country, etc.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Do SOMETHING about the bunching up. I know it has to happen on some legs, but it seems there is no advantage to leaving the checkpoint first.

1. Maybe spread the NEL's out more?

2. Take off the "the last team to check-in will be eliminated" from the clues. That way, the teams won't know if it's a NEL or not?

I agree with LO. Letting teams know it;s not an elim round takes something away.

I also think that the LAST place team should be the one's getting a prize. If you're first, the prize is that you get to continue. This would also mean that each team only got one bonus prize.

Again, touching on what LO said... maybe the first round should be a non elim. Let everyone get a feel for the game, PLUS, we would get to know teams better.

The bunching up has to be done in my opinion.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Hmmm...I like all these ideas, even the conflicting ones!

I really like the idea of spreading out and surprising with NEL's, especially making the first leg non-elimination. It's too anti-climactic in later episodes.

I would also like to see some non-American teams compete as well.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

I would like to see more interesting challenges that just don't rely on the physicality of the contestants such as the Masquerade Ball in Venice - one of the most inspired detours posed to the racers thus far, IMO. Also, they should get back to using more cryptic clues rather than straight out telling the racers where to go - like asking them to figure out where the westernmost point of Europe is or what is the Smoke that Thunders (I don't know if I got those right...) . If it were up to me though, the first episode should always start out as an elimination round. It is a race after all and to start with a non-elimination episode would just be anti-climatic specially for those who are watching the show for the first time.

Leo
    Premium Member
    I'm conflicted about having a first leg NEL. On one hand, there's a "we hardly knew you" feeling to the first team eliminated. However, bigbadmatt is also right - it's kinda anti-climatic to end a premiere that way.

lol_its_fun
    Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    Do SOMETHING about the bunching up. I know it has to happen on some legs, but it seems there is no advantage to leaving the checkpoint first.
    I would definitely make leg 8 as elmination so that Carrot Top and As* Hat could go home.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Bascially, I agree with what you all said...I remember Flo saying in an interview that some (or all) of the clues said that the last team to check in MIGHT be eliminated. So the teams had no way of knowing whether to hurry or not.

I agree the clues are a little too easy. Do what they did in Mexico City; give them a picture and send them off in a city full of millions to find that person. Or giving them little clues about there next destination so they'll have to ask where it is (I remember Michael thinking Coba De Roca or whatever it was called being in England.)

I don't mind the bunching (though there's been too much of it this season, in my opinion.) What I've heard is they don't want a situation like they had in AR1 where the Guidos were so far behind they didn't have a prayer of catching up.

I like non elimination rounds, but teams usually know when there coming, so space them out. Maybe have 1 in the beginning, 1 in the middle, and 1 at the end.

One change I would like regards editing. The ending to TAR1 was very emotional, mostly because the music playing in the background was so elegant and serene, and the close up shots on the earnest faces of Frank and Marguarita. The contrast between the entire season's upbeat pace and sense of competition, and the last few strides in this worldwide race being presented as a special moment in the racer's lives was presented very well during the last 10 minutes of that race. The next two TARs however kept the upbeat presentation up until the very end. Maybe that's because both ends of those later races could be edited as apparently quite close, and since nothing was "in the bag", the editing didn't have time to show reflective music/close ups. In any case, I'd appreciate if the editing of the race showed the ending of this race as what it truly is: a triumphant accomplishment, that also happens to be the end of the road for the racers and for the viewers.

My opinion regarding bunching is pretty simple. Have bunching, but please, near the beginning of the leg. Let the racers earn their work after the first half of the leg - that will reduce the chance factor regarding who comes in last.

I agree that there should never be any hints about NEL's. It keeps the suspense and it doesn't let the racers back off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast