+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Destinations

Yeah,l I didn't predict it for two reasons- A) the preview made it sound like Reichen and Chip were thinking of a way other than flying, and you couldn't take a boat to Malaysia and think it would be quicker than a plane, but we were misled there. and B) they stopped quickly in Kuala Lumpur last season.

But I'm very glad they went! Kota Kinabalu was GORGEOUS! I kept exclaiming how beautiful the scenery was throughout the show! And they're in BORNEO! How cool is that?

I think they'll probably stay in Borneo next leg, travel through the jungle and interior- maybe to another country on the island, like Brunei or Indonesia.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

I keep wondering what the castle/mosque building is that is shown in the opening credits- the one on top of a mountain- it's stunning! Anyone have a clue where it is?
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

R&C
    Yup, the mosque shown in the opening credit was increadibly beautiful but i have no clue about where it is

FORT Regular
    Would the beautiful mosque located in Brunei? Will they be going to Brunei after the pit stop in Sabah, Malaysia?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    The main reason few people thought Malaysia would be a destination this time around was that it already was a destination last year. TAR visiting a country two seasons in a row doesn't happen very frequently.
    i think this is just the third time that it happened. first was the back to back bangkok in TAR1 and TAR2, and the next was Germany TAR3 and TAR4. i guess it was pretty much obvious that Malaysia is a choice destination since it has been all out in promoting their tourism in the last 2 years.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire. .

Quote Originally Posted by natural_wonder
    Would the beautiful mosque located in Brunei? Will they be going to Brunei after the pit stop in Sabah, Malaysia?

i dont think that a mosque is shown in the opening credit. what you may be referring to is a stupa, a buddhist structure that is prominent in thailand, sri lanka and burma. (this is the structure that comes right before or after the statue near the end of the opening credit)

the one on top one the mountain though (inserted between shots of david/jeff and steve/dave) is neither a mosque or a stupa or even bolkiah's palace. it looks like a structure that is very western in origin. i dunno it kinda looks like an observatory to me... or a maximum security prison because its all silver and gray. LOL!
    Last edited by TheLastBoyScout; 07-19-2003 at 02:35 PM.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire. .

Leo
    Premium Member
    They didn't go to Germany this time, at least not as a destination; R&C did pass by there as a stopover from Austria to Paris.

They did, however, pass by Austria both in TAR 3 and this year. The visit last year to Austria wasn't very long, however, and the teams entered and left it in one leg.

Still, visiting one country in two consecutive TARs is a relatively rare occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    They didn't go to Germany this time, at least not as a destination; R&C did pass by there as a stopover from Austria to Paris.

They did, however, pass by Austria both in TAR 3 and this year. The visit last year to Austria wasn't very long, however, and the teams entered and left it in one leg.

Still, visiting one country in two consecutive TARs is a relatively rare occurrence.
    oh yeah sorry about the confusion. mixed up gmunden for germany.

Yeah, I don't think it's a mosque- looks like a palace to me- the one on top of the mountain, I mean- that's the one I'm so intrigued to find out what it is!

Yeah, natural wonder, I'm thinking it might be Brunei. Brunei is certainly wealthy enough to have a palace that grand. It's got such an interesting mix of architectural traditions- domes of the orient and general structure of the occident.

TH3
    FORT Newbie
    I will be disappointed if they leave KK without climbing Mount Kinabalu. It is the reason many people go there. It is the tallest mountain in SE Asia, but the hike is not too difficult. From the previews it doesn't look like they will do the climb though. Too bad, the scenery along the way is beautiful and on a clear day, from the top, you can see all the way to the Philippines.

+ Reply to Thread