+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ep. 6: "I Could Never Have Been Prepared For What I'm Looking At Right Now" 07/03

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Well, India is still developing... they can't avoid it and we can't do much anyway....

Leo
    Premium Member
    The couple with a new attitude is Millie and Chuck, in my opinion. I don't think it's Tian and Jaree as the preview shows one of them breaking down in the Roadblock.

Originally posted by aMaZiN'RaCeGuY>
    Well, India is still developing... they can't avoid it ...
    "Still developing" countries do not all have male citizens sexually harassing/assaulting female citizens in the streets. In the Kingdom of Bhutan, India's equally poor neighbour, Buddhist tradition makes such behaviour more shameful on the male than the female. On the other hand, in well developed Italy, such male misbehaviour are much more common than in most countries, developing or not.

FORT Newbie
    Originally posted by bill

I am of the opposite opinion. I like to see the show visit stressful and/or exotic places.
    Absolutely. A few more days of "exotic" and Flo and Zack would never have won TAR 3.

I hate that now people are going to judge all of India based on the incident in the train.

There are somewhere around a billion people in India. It's almost the size of the continental USA, with hundreds of languages and regional variations in culture, religion, etc. A traveler gets sexually harassed, and now India is a backwards country filled with perverts.

With the exception of regions along the Pakistan border, India is a completely safe and friendly place to visit. I studied in Chennai (Madras) and surrounding villages with a group of students (8 female, 4 male) and we didn't have a single problem with sexual harassment, because the women wore long skirts or a salwar kameez.

But according to the traditions of SOME PARTS of India (and elsewhere in the world), a woman travelling unaccompanied by a male with revealing clothing on may as well walk around naked with a sign saying "Touch my boob, please!". It has nothing at all to do with being "still developing" but everything to do with cultural standards. You can't just apply a western ethic to every country in the world.

There is a very active women's movement in India, also tied in with village and environmental activism. But it must proceed by the standards and mission set forth by the local women who organize these movements, not by North Americans with our own ideas of liberation.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Spring & Fall: Preferred

Re: Great explanation

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    Thank you, Aota. You just gave me some valuable insight into the "train groping" situation.

Different country, different cultural patterns. I wonder how well the teams were protected overall and how much they got to learn about the different countries ahead of time. Not that Tian and Jaree have displayed much decorum but they're entertaining as hell.
    So prostitutes and tourists deserve to be groped for not respecting local clothing traditions?

:-)

You can be groped on the NYC subway, the Seattle Metro bus system, the Bee Line bus in Westchester.

FORT Fogey
    I think it's their fault for traveling somewhere without knowing or respecting their cultural traditions. I mean the fault of most tourists, but I can't blame the TAR contestants, because I'm sure many of them didn't know. I think if you travel somewhere without understanding or respecting the traditions, that's what is to be expected. There are plenty of places in the United States that wearing certain attire or looking a certain way would result in solicitations for prostitutions and arrests.

FORT Regular
    oh yea, i have double checked and tripled checked the video preview at the end of episode 5. We can see Chip performing a roadblock in India, and also we see Dave in the foreground of that picture suggesting that there is yet more bunching at the aren't affected by the risky flight option, but i believe that the first route marker after arrival is something like hours of operation blah blah so its bunching. We also hear reichen mention about india's poverty in the night so it suggests to their arrival into new delhi or bombay late at night.

Spring & Fall: Preferred
    Originally posted by AnnaRHR
    I think it's their fault for traveling somewhere without knowing or respecting their cultural traditions. I mean the fault of most tourists, but I can't blame the TAR contestants, because I'm sure many of them didn't know. I think if you travel somewhere without understanding or respecting the traditions, that's what is to be expected. There are plenty of places in the United States that wearing certain attire or looking a certain way would result in solicitations for prostitutions and arrests.
    I think that's just called blaming the victim. Respecting cultural traditions is one thing; using breaching of cultural traditions as an excuse for groping is another.

I think I missed something. Were the women (T&J) shown in the preview yelling at someone on a train wearing shorts or something like that?

If so, I think it's fair to say that if most women around you are covered to their toes you should think twice about the consequences of baring your legs.

However, sometimes you just look different and will attract attention no matter "safely" you dress. And having been felt up on a very crowded Mexico City subway, I can say it's not pleasant and there's very little you can do about it. I stomped on the guy's foot - that worked. I'm not looking forward to watching this next week!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast