+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our interview with Dennis & Andrew

Our interview with Dennis & Andrew

I spoke with Dennis & Andrew today about their Amazing Race experience. Here's the transcript of that chat. Thanks, D&A! You were awesome, and I know that you'll be missed by our crew.

FORT: First of all, some members of our site are very depressed about your elimination, and Andrew, they're going to miss your smile.
    Andrew: Oh, thank you.

FORT: What happened at the airport in Cancun?
    Andrew: It really came down to luck. We seemed to be there at the same time almost all of the other teams were there, we saw almost all of them. It really came down to who was at what counter at what time, the tickets sold out so quickly at all the flights. We happened to be right behind Teri & Ian, who were right behind Andre & Damon. A&D got flights out at 10-something, T&I at 12-something, and for us, there were no flights left until 8pm.

FORT: So you were 8 hours behind the next-to-last team?
    Dennis: We started 8 hours behind, but then it got worse. We arrived in Mexico City so late, there were no flights out of MC until the next day, so at one point, we were almost 24 hours behind. We made up a lot of that time at the FF. We made up about 20 hours, but that just wasn't enough.

FORT: In the limo, did you know you were out of it, or did you think you still had a shot?
    Andrew: We knew that we were not going to be in first or second place, and we knew we were in a lot of trouble. But at the same time, we were holding out hope that maybe one other team got held up in Paris, or Germany, or wherever they flew through. So we thought 'maybe there's a chance, there's always a chance.' That's what I've learned in cheerleading - you give it all you've got until the end, you never know what's going to happen.
    Dennis: That last day was a lot of fun for us. We were so frustrated trying to get out of Mexico, but once we got to Cambridge and got the FF, and they stuck us in a limo...We were on such a high at that time, it was so fun.

FORT: Dennis, how was driving the tank?
    Dennis: I loved it. I love to drive different equipment, and fortunately, I had driven a very scaled down loader-type piece of equipment that drove similar to that tank, just much smaller. That was a place where my experience kicked in. Age and experience helped me very much there.

FORT: Did you know about the "alliance against the Twins", and what did you think of it?
    Andrew: I think the alliance against the Twins is pretty sad, because the Twins are actually really nice, and I don't know what everyone's problem is with them. I think it's the fact that they're attractive, and they're physically fit, so all the teams that keep dogging them are jealous. We never felt that. We felt they were great guys, and hey, you go boys!
    Dennis: There were a couple of teams that mentioned 'you know, two alpha males have won it in the past, we don't want that to happen again.' But the best team is the best team, whoever it may be.

FORT: What effect did competing in the race have on your father/son relationship?
    Andrew: I think we really grew in the course of the race. I think we were a typical father and son - you know, he gives the orders and I take them. And then by the end of the race, he really realized that I'm grown up now, I can take care of myself. I feel that in the last leg of the race, that I did really step up. He let me take charge for a little while. I think we see each other differently now, and it's a lot better. We see each other as friends, and not so much father and son.

FORT: Prior to the show, a big deal was made about your lifestyle differences. Was that accurate?
    Dennis: I think we've always been a close family. There's no doubt that it grew during the race, because he and I have never been able to spend this much time alone together before. We had always done family things, but there were a bunch of us - he's got his other brother and sisters. There were always 5 of us, instead of just the two of us. Our personal relationship grew, but we always had been a close family. We still do have an issue that we're working on, but we can have issues and still love each other. That's where we were, and that's where we still are, but it has changed a little bit, because I'm not really a father dictating any more, I'm more of a friend giving him advice. I can't tell him what to do any more.
    Andrew: I think the media really hyped that up, and even the other teams expected that there was going to be a lot of controversy between us. Because I'm gay, because he's Christian, there's a lot of conflict between the two...different communities, I guess you'd say. I think hopefully we showed what family values really are - loving each other, and standing by each other, no matter what the circumstances. Whether your son is gay, straight, black, white, Jewish, or Christian, you're family, and you stick it out. THAT'S family values.

FORT: Andrew, how hard was it to convince your dad to participate?
    Andrew: It was kind of funny, because I had seen and loved the show, and I told him 'we'd be so good at this' and kind of joked around about it. Then I printed the application and took it to him, and threw it in his face, laughing about it. Then he filled his out, so I did too, and we sent it in for kicks. We weren't expecting anything. We did it as a joke, just to say we did it, so we were shocked when someone called. Completely shocked.
    Dennis: It wasn't a matter of convincing me to travel. First off, I guess I didn't dream big enough. I thought 'what are the chances we'd be picked on a show like that?' Second, if we WERE picked on the show, am I ready for the exposure it might give us, because of our different...outlooks on things, there are going to be some people who are not going to like me. And there are going to be some people who are not going to like Andrew. But the important thing is that we like each other. So if that came across, then maybe we can get through. And if we can get along, then once you get along, you can work through those issues.

FORT: Do you have to buy tickets for your camera crew, and did that cause any problems in flight availability for you?
    Andrew: It didn't effect our flight availability, because every flight only had one seat left. So it didn't play a role in our race, getting out of Cancun. You do purchase 4 tickets at a time, though.
    Dennis: Without the crew, there's no TV show. But sure, it did play a role, because the other planes filled up. If there hadn't been camera crews with them, there would have been room for us. But that's the race, they're part of the team - they're just an invisible part of the team.

FORT: We read that you had show-watching parties, and Rodger Bingham attended your most recent one. Did you know him before the race?
    Dennis: We didn't, but a friend of the family knows him, so they invited him. We just thought it would be really cool to have all the Kentucky reality guys together. Not a whole lot happens exciting like this in Kentucky, and he's really a big local celebrity, so it was a thrill for us to meet him.
    Andrew: Yeah, it's fun to have all the Kentucky Reality Boys together.

Once again, thanks to CBS, the Amazing Race production crew, and Dennis and Andrew for the interview. We'll miss the smile, and here's hoping there are a few more Kentucky Reality Boys to add to the list soon.

Another great interview John.

I'm really going to miss this team.
    I think Andrew is absolutely adorable and the father/son relationship they have is wonderful.

They still did themselves proud.
    So sorry to see you go guys.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Thanks very much, Andrew & Dennis! You were a great team. Unfortunately, like TNT, you fell victim to the "My wife likes them" Curse.

I have to say, as a father of three little ones myself, I really got misty at the end of the episode when you guys talked about the father-son bond. That nailed me pretty good.

Finally, I want to assure you that your affection and respect for one another did come through very well in the show.

Congratulations, you two! You were great.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

LG.
    Super interview John, and thanks to Dennis and Andrew, I hope you did enjoy your limo ride despite being eliminated in the race. I really admire your close relationship.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Excellent job, John, yet again!

What a wonderful duo these guys are. As Paulie said, their affection and respect for each other did come through loud and clear, and it was great to see it and to see them working so well together given their different philosophies on certain things.

Like the others, I am sorry to see y'all go, Dennis and Andrew. I wish you both the best and think y'all should be proud of how you did. As Talicia said when she and her brother got eliminated, "The victory isn't always in the winning."

(John, did they say anything about possibly posting here or having visited the FORT before?)

Speaking of that limo ride, I don't think any TAR team ever left the game with more style! What a treat!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

They didn't say anything about having visited. I hope they do! Dennis & Andrew, if you visit, send me an e-mail if you get a chance and let me know! Use the little "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.

The same, of course, goes to any reality show contestant that visits. We love to hear from all of you!

I was so bummed that they were eliminated last night. I loved this interview. Dennis and Andrew, you two ROCKED! It was a pleasure to be able to peak into your TV lives for the past few weeks!
    Family Values are abundant in your family, and it honestly showed
    Thanks so much for the interview. I wish you nothing but the best.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Great interview John! Thanks so much Dennis and Andrew!
    I really liked them, Andrew was a cutie, and he and his father seemed to have a great relationship. They will be missed.

What an endearing interview. Thank you Dennis and Andrew for your time. Your values outshined any controversary that the media hype tried to create. Both of you are awesome.
    But the best team is the best team, whoever it may be.
    Couldn't agree more. Good for you for not falling in with the Alliance against the Twins.

Best of luck, and take care.

Great interview, John!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast