+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Amazing Race' May Lack Polish, But It Is Fast-Paced Fun

About reality shows: Perhaps, like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. I'm a rabid TAR fan and set the VCR to tape the episodes in case I miss one. But after watching the premier episode of the first season of 'Survivor' I felt like an hour of my life had been stolen from me. I haven't watched a minute of that lousy show since.

I also thought that Joe Millionaire sucked like a giant Hoover. Stopped watching after the first episode, but did watch the last 15 minutes of the finale to get a dose of schadenfreude and a big laugh at one of the remaining two prostitutes.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Originally posted by Leo
    :I'd like to meet one of these so-called critics and introduce them to a ClueBat.
    The Cluebat has re-emerged, Too Funny!! i was just wondering if it was corked?

Vince Horiuchi, the author of the original article, has a follow-up, I thought y'all might be interested:

Hardly educating: Though I like the series, some people took exception to my calling the CBS reality show, "Amazing Race 4," a lightweight piece of entertainment.

A couple of the fans who e-mailed me think they learn a lot from the fast-paced Thursday show, in which crass American couples run, fly, drive or ride the train from checkpoint to checkpoint in towns all over Europe to find a million dollars.

One viewer wrote that she learns from the "travel to foreign places . . . customs and the history of those places . . . communicating with people who do not share your language, and watching people [the teammates] negotiate their interpersonal relationships."

She's right. I have learned that on "Amazing Race" you can see how blurry Europe looks at a dead run; that there is no time to learn about customs and history; that a good way of communicating with people who do not share your language is to bark at them for directions; and that screaming and fighting with a travel buddy is how we Americans show civility.
    http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Jun/06232...nday/68770.asp

Two words, Vince Horiuchi: bite me.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    At least the guy who writes for Entertainment Weekly is still pushing the show. That's one critic who knows what he likes and isn't afraid to say so.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

FORT Fan
    I guess a show which allows you to see the prison cell Nelson Mandela was kept in, as well as giving many insights into different cultures is not an intelligent show...how much of a cliche is this critic or what!

I just re-read Vince's review. Two observations:

1. Survivor has 'polish?' Jeez, we must have been watching different shows. Wouldn't waste my time on that piece of crap.

2. Critic (n.): Someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I couldn't agree more Wizard. Survivor hasn't been remotely enjoyable in a long, long time. I'm not bothered at all by this so-called critic because more of the mainstream TV critics from Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide still consider TAR the best show reality TV has to offer.

Well, I still enjoy watching Survivor, but that's sort of irrelevant, I guess. More to the point, this critic is a wacko.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12