+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: 5/18 TAR 24: All-Stars FINALE **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/18 TAR 24: All-Stars FINALE **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I was able to tell from the light bulb challenge that it was going to be Dave/Connor. TPTB tried to make it seem close, but I don't think it was. The cab driver really did make a difference for Brendan/Rachel and then once again NOT reading the clue. I seldom read the bios of the contestants and was surprised to see Dave was only 58, he made it sound like he was much older. Hopefully the next season will be new players.
    I like new players, I don't need to see players back again. Even my cowboys have run this race enough times. Bring on the newbies
    NCLurker and Duckyface like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I was able to tell from the light bulb challenge that it was going to be Dave/Connor. TPTB tried to make it seem close, but I don't think it was. The cab driver really did make a difference for Brendan/Rachel and then once again NOT reading the clue. I seldom read the bios of the contestants and was surprised to see Dave was only 58, he made it sound like he was much older. Hopefully the next season will be new players.
    I was surprised that Phil said Dave was 58 tonight as they have him being 58 when he raced the first time and 59 for All Stars. This is from their own website. I thought at one point Dave himself said he was 60 so thought he may have had a birthday, but may not be remembering correctly.

I agree I like it when these reality shows have new people on and don't mind an All Star now and then. You get your wish for new people next season as I saw an advertisement on my local TV that applications were being taking at a place in the state where I live.

I'm quite glad that Dave and Connor won the race. Unlike the other "All Stars" teams (I seriously think All Stars is misplaced, as only losing teams get to return, not winning teams, so they're not exactly Stars, are they now?), Dave and Connor were not defeated. They withdrew while in first place due to a serious injury. They were also the only team in the final 3 not saved by a NEL. And they did quite well on most of the challenges as well as the navigation. They were most deserving of being the winner.

Yes, they have their shortcomings, most notably Dave for assuming that due to his age, he's entitled to get things easier than others (note that that's not the same as being "holier-than-thou"), and preaching about that in a bit childish way. He most certainly could've handled that better. We're all human, though. Heck, even the cowboys that everyone adores so much opened their mouth for a bit in frustration when they were U-turned.

But overall, I'm just really glad that Rachel didn't win. If that means they won't reproduce, so much the better. The world doesn't need more little Rachels joining it!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    If the cowboys were still there and Brenchel were gone, I'd be happier.
    The Cowboys OR the Afghanimals OR Flight Time and Big Easy. Heck, if all three of those teams were competing in place of the current teams, I wouldn't have minded one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Midol View Post
    The David Copperfield stunt was very cool as was the finish.
    I'm on the fence about the David Copperfield stunt. I don't mind his appearance at all, that certainly was cool. However, it did feel like part of the whole challenge was fixed, and since they're in a race, that's not a good thing. Of course, I can't be sure what was and what was not fixed, which is why I'm still on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by realityfan25 View Post
    If Brenchel were to win, Rachel would be the reality queen.
    Can we settle for her being the reality drama queen? I mean, these are Rachels exact words:

"They're so stupid. ... First of all, it's final three, it's the race. I'm gonna do whatever it takes. Second of all, I would not push someone."

She's describing how she has the right to be the rude person she is and how she is not a rude person at the same time. This entire leg is filled with her complete absurd vision of the world. She really, really thinks the world is all around her, and all the other people that are bothering her are just demons that are in her way. Seriously, I don't like people of her kind at all.

At the hotel, when it's actually getting quite clear that she's in third place and likely to end in third place, she's actually going to pray for the misfortune of the other contestants so that she can win. I'm an atheist, so perhaps it's not my place to say, but I doubt it makes you a good christian (or believer of any other deity for that matter) if you are praying for the misfortune of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I was surprised that Brenchel fell so far behind. It was night by the time they did the skydive, and it wasn't even close to night when the others got there. They must have spent a long time in the hotel.
    Actually, it was night during practically the entire leg. In the UK, they were driving to the airport in the dark. It became day while they waited for their plane, and the plane took off in broad daylight, but it was night again when they landed in Las Vegas, and the sky was black for the remainder of the entire episode.

You might be fooled by all the bright buildings all over the place that make it look bright as day, but it's just an illusion. When Dave and the country singer (was it Caroline or Jennifer? I forgot) came down, everyone was enthusiastic and busy and stuff, while when Brendon landed, things had quieted down a lot more, which might make the actual night more apparent. But the entire show was nighttime.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I find it interesting that when Brendan makes a mistake (saying that they need to look in the hotel rather than looking for the clue box by the back door), it's the two of them that made an error, but when Rachel makes the mistake, it's all on her.
    Yeap, noticed that as well. Don't really like that aspect of him, but Rachel's far worse.

I was able to tell from the light bulb challenge that it was going to be Dave/Connor. TPTB tried to make it seem close, but I don't think it was.
    Actually, from the looks of it, they were pretty close to arriving at the building. Note that when Dave and Connor passed Caroline and Jennifer, they were already close to the building.

What I do think is that they didn't expect two teams to arrive so quickly after another, and that only one helicopter could take off at the same time, so the country singer doing the roadblock had to wait for Dave's helicopter to be out of the way before her own helicopter could take off.

The cab driver really did make a difference for Brendan/Rachel and then once again NOT reading the clue. I seldom read the bios of the contestants and was surprised to see Dave was only 58, he made it sound like he was much older. Hopefully the next season will be new players.
    Yes, they got a crappy cab driver dealt to them, and that seriously cost them some time. Trying to bribe the country singers' cap was a smart move on their part as that cab driver knew his way around, bringing the country singers from third to first at the hotel. I'm not holding it against them, as that's indeed something that's part of the race, though I'm happy they failed there.

However, it wasn't just the cab driver that held them up. They were running around like headless chickens like they're doing most of the time. The clue box was right in front of the question mark, but instead of looking at their close proximity, they immediately ran off to search elsewhere. Then at the hotel, they were all like "Oh, here's the hotel, let's run inside!" Sure, the cab driver wasn't helping, but they seriously screwed up themselves!
    Hyper and Photobabe like this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thels
    Actually, it was night during practically the entire leg. In the UK, they were driving to the airport in the dark. It became day while they waited for their plane, and the plane took off in broad daylight, but it was night again when they landed in Las Vegas, and the sky was black for the remainder of the entire episode.

You might be fooled by all the bright buildings all over the place that make it look bright as day, but it's just an illusion. When Dave and the country singer (was it Caroline or Jennifer? I forgot) came down, everyone was enthusiastic and busy and stuff, while when Brendon landed, things had quieted down a lot more, which might make the actual night more apparent. But the entire show was nighttime.
    Yep. The best way to confirm it is to just take a step back. It was dark during the lightbulb task.

Quote Originally Posted by Thels
    She's describing how she has the right to be the rude person she is and how she is not a rude person at the same time. This entire leg is filled with her complete absurd vision of the world. She really, really thinks the world is all around her, and all the other people that are bothering her are just demons that are in her way. Seriously, I don't like people of her kind at all.
    (regarding Rachel....)

I think she's just a spoiled brat. They both are... or at least, that is how they present themselves. Watch Brenden on the mat, this is not a man disappointed, but a child who didn't get his way.
    Florimel likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

While folks are mentioning the cab stealing incident no one is making any remarks in regards to Rachel jumping line in customs in front of the country girls or the dirt throwing ... editing made it seem all downhill for the Brenchal's from that point. I do think though at this point they are so focused on winning that they start not paying attention as far as not seeing the lightbulb in the question mark sign, the running through the hotel and we don't know how long that took. Those hotels are huge. Rachel was smart enough to get the box open before they got to the David Copperfield challenge. I do wonder how long it took the country girls to open their box and how long it took for them to run back and get the box and how long did it take to find the lighted signs for the final pitstop. Overall it did look as if the girls and the boys were neck and neck while Brenchal was a bit behind. What is funny is that while all the top teams, Granimals, Cowboys and Brenchal had great legs through out the entire race it was kinda funny that when they did have a bad leg they were eliminated; the Cowboys, the Granimals and then Brenchal. I do find it kinda ironic that the while Dave and Connor won and they had a great winning streak there at the end that the girls managed to come in second when they had almost been eliminated 3 times. If the girls hadn't gotten the Express Pass from the Cowboys would they even have finished that early leg and to be saved not once but twice from elimination because of non elimination legs is incredible.

I wonder if this had been a 90 minute episode or a 2 hour finale would we have seen more.

I do wonder why they didn't have memory challenge this season as it seems to be a very common challenge during the last leg?
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fan

Am I the only one that found the finale anti-climatic? It was a linear leg with not much room for catch-ups or screw-ups, and there isn't even a memory challenge - which has the potential to make-or-break teams in the final leg (eg make: Josh and Brent, break: Chippendales).

Also, according to the Wikipedia page, Connor performed 8 roadblocks to Dave's 5. Ever since the Roadblock rule has been in place from Season 6, nobody has performed more than 7 roadblocks in a season. Is the roadblock rule still in play?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Luv'd the outcome, glad to see the girls do as well as they did and wouldn't Brendon have been penalized if he had managed to steal the girl's cab?

So nice to see Brendon and Rachel's true colors come out during this leg wonder how they will justify it. Oh, yes, she wants a baby.
    No, they wouldn't have been. It has been done in the past, in fact as recently as last season I believe. I think there are caveats to it though - i.e. the current occupants who told them to wait had paid them in advance (because the cab driver can't get paid twice), but it's overall legal.

Fortunately, Jen and Caroline probably had one of the few honest cab drivers around. I wish him honestly a lot of success in his work because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by xtremist View Post
    Am I the only one that found the finale anti-climatic? It was a linear leg with not much room for catch-ups or screw-ups, and there isn't even a memory challenge - which has the potential to make-or-break teams in the final leg (eg make: Josh and Brent, break: Chippendales).

Also, according to the Wikipedia page, Connor performed 8 roadblocks to Dave's 5. Ever since the Roadblock rule has been in place from Season 6, nobody has performed more than 7 roadblocks in a season. Is the roadblock rule still in play?
    Wiki isn't necessarily all that reliable to begin with. Additionally, I think there were other cases where one did more than the other this season of the final three.

There *is* the possibility that when they were creating the challenges too that one contestant or another might not be allowed to play the roadblocks (i.e. Big Easy being such a giant he couldn't ride an amusement park ride his first season, or the guy - I think pro hockey player - who wasn't allowed to skydive) before they knew who was cast and because they couldn't tell them what was coming up, they had to have some balance or grace for the two.

I DO think it's not allowed for them to do say Connor 12 to Dave's 1 roadblock though.

It wasn't a big issue regardless, because if there were penalties assessed, they didn't factor in with any results.

As far as the mental challenge at the end of the season - there have been a few cases this didn't happen. The last All-Stars, where Flight Time and Big Easy finished second, they did a challenge where they had to duplicate a mobile park home. That wasn't memory but more visual acuity and paying attention to details.

This was shown in a way with the light bulb challenge last night - they not only had to screw in so many lightbulbs (and having your arm stretched out like they all did for hours will start hurting and could make you lose concentration) they had to count each lightbulb and give a count for the workers. It was a detail orientated task.

I found the finale anti climatic as well. No memory challenge? That's my favorite one to watch during the last leg. Meh - I just didn't really feel any excitement last night. "Who is it who's coming down first???" Come on, it was clearly Dave. At least the girls were pretty close behind, but it was all way to calm for me last night lol.
    captain, teatime, Moontat and 5 others like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Regarding memory challenges, I've wondered if them putting that Welsh poem challenge so close to the end is why they chose to not do the memory one for the finale? I know people complained about Connor grousing about having to learn Welsh in 20 minutes, but it isn't an easy to learn language.

They also had a few other memorization puzzles this year prior to the finale.

I guess they may have chosen not to do it because they wanted to throw whatever curveball they could on the teams... OR... they just wanted it to be an all action finale.

+ Reply to Thread