+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 4/13 TAR 24: Episode 7 **West Coast Spoilers**

CCL

Re: 4/13 TAR 24: Episode 7 **West Coast Spoilers**

^ which is my age, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Those two teams, do you think they would go ahead them anyway? its a game after all.
    I don't know. There seems to have been a lot of instances of teams helping eachother out this season so I can see them thinking they'd be helped out at the uturn. Whether they could actually trust that the two teams wouldn't end up using the uturn on them...who knows, at the least most teams in that situation probably would hesitate to use it on them (because they'd feel bad about having promised not to) and if possible choose another team instead. But I don't think they intended to give Flight Time the answer at first. Jessica asked for it and they agreed to give it to Jon and then Big Easy called FT over - I think they felt like they couldn't give the answer to one team and not the other.
    I was surprised that Dave and Connor let the country singers touch the mat first - how did they know for certain they were not last? I don't recall there being any other teams on the Steps when they were there. I'd be more like Rachel, not telling Connor where the clue box was. Seconds count.
    Last edited by CCL; 04-15-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Punkin likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    It seems like every single team had trouble with the Roman numerals. It kind of annoys me how they are allowed
    to immediately ask strangers for help in figuring out what the Roman numerals mean. I would have known how
    to do it right away, but I wouldn't be good at tasks involving physical strength. I remember in a past TAR, 2 women
    were unable to hit the target hard enough to ring a bell or whatever, and it's not as if they would have been allowed
    to ask a stranger to do it for them. I think maybe they should only be allowed to work with other TAR teams on figuring
    out the answer, or maybe have to wait a certain amount of time before they can ask a stranger.
    This is one of my pet peeves. What I liked about this race to start with was that all ages and genders could compete because they usually had a choice between a physical task and a mental task, and when there wasn't a choice they had an almost equal number of each, or one that involved both. It's not that way these days.

If you aren't allowed to ask other people to do your physical tasks for you, why should you be able to ask them to do the mental ones? It makes the race much less even for those who are intelligent, but maybe not so physically fit, which really limits the kind and variety of people we see on the race.
    spockwhat and AZChristian like this.

While the Globetrotters are friendly and charming and entertaining it was very painful to watch them do the Spanish Steps Challenge. When it comes to puzzles they are duds. But what gets me is that they didn't read the clue. It's never that easy on The Amazing Race.

I can't see teams helping each other that much now that it is the half way point. I don't blame them.

This is the very first episode ever that I enjoyed the Granimals do the Gladiator Challenge. I liked that they really got into it and enjoyed it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I agree Bearcata...I was yelling at FT to "READ THE CLUE!!" - if you get the answer wrong multiple times, obviously you've missed some information on how to do the challenge. It would only take seconds to re-read the clue. Still, I'm glad they are not out, as I wholeheartedly enjoy the way they race and the fun they bring with them wherever they go.

Asking strangers for help is no different than asking locals to use their cell phone, or to help them find a location, just like we might if we were travelling abroad and were lost or confused. I don't mind. The alternative would be for them to just race through a country without really interacting with the locals. You could see that most of the people who helped the racers figure out the Roman numerals were happy to help and cheered when the racer got it right and received their clue. I'm sure it was fun for them as well.
    Punkin and Photobabe like this.
    Valar Morghulis

I don't have a problem at all with the locals helping. I agree that it makes it fun for everyone involved. Also, having the skill to get locals to want to help you is a big part of the race. I'm not a fan of the racers giving others the answers to the puzzles. As others have pointed out, there should be some activities where the people who are good problem solvers have advantages, just as the more physical people do in other challenges.
    Punkin and Florimel like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I would honestly not know what the eternal city was, and Rome was far from the first city to cross my mind, though it did make sense after it was pointed out.

I honestly can't understand how Rachel could be proud of their accomplishments this race. They totally sabotaged the attempts of others on the chariot tracks during times that they were chanceless themselves, and acted totally childish when others just asked for a brief confirmation. Of course you can play the dark horse team, but be honest about it, and don't portray yourself as the high and mighty team.

John with the shield... I dunno. It might look stupid on TV, but the guy was huge, and those metal swords can be damn intimidating then. His martial arts training might have actually hindered him rather than helped him, as defending yourself must've come more as a reflex to him, and what better way to defend yourself than using that huge shield that you're holding? Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, instinct just takes over.

And I think it's the same for the Cowbows. In the heat of the moment, they thought "Horses!" and went with it, without considering all the repercussions. Hey, it's the amazing race after all. You may say that chariot races are dangerous, but they could've rigged stuff like that. Last season they had contestants driving around on high speed in formula 1 cars. You're not going to think "Nah, they probably don't involve that." very fast on the amazing race.

Afghanimals switching detours as usual. Stop doing that! Though they were interesting to watch at the gladiator fight, that's the spirit with which they actually approach most, if not all of their tasks. It just shined better this time because their burly and over the top reactions fitted the scene at this time.

It's a bit of a surprise that the order in which teams completed the detour was totally different from the order in which teams arrived at the road block. Some teams had some serious issues there, and that definitely helped the country singers out.

I seem to have a different view on the task and getting help from bystanders. This was not a brains challenge. A proper brains challenge provides you with all the information you need to solve a certain puzzle, and you have to figure out how to connect the pieces together. I totally agree that on such tasks, it's best if people cannot get outside assistance, just like they cannot with physical tasks. This however was not such a brains challenge, but required knowledge of the roman numeric system. Perhaps if the basics of that system were provided for them, and they had to do some math with them, then yes, I would totally agree that the task would be better without outsider help, though such a public place might be problematic for that.

I instantly noticed the number ending with four I's, and was a tad confused about that, but it wasn't that big of an issue. What could've caused it was that perhaps it wasn't done in time, but took until the next year to complete. Adding a single I at the end would certainly be easier to fix than totally changing a couple of letters around.

Jessica actually asked Jamal to stop and help John out. I think that if she kept her mouth shut, the Afghanimals might not have thought of helping out the other teams and left. Considering that Flight Time was totally clueless, John would've likely completed the task long before him, and they would've been safe.

At least the afghanimals helped both the teams out. I remember last season at the instrument building challenge, the couple helped out the doctors, which eliminated the blondes. Had they left the doctors to fend for themselves, the blondes would've had a good chance of defeating them that leg.

My favorite episode by far this season partially i think because i have been to Rome, been to the Colessium climbed all the spanish steps and it was exhausting! I wouldnt have chosen the chariot racing though it seemed too difficult to do with all those teams there, the Gladiator challenge seemed more fun and scaring too lol That was a close footrace it looked like Jess and John were gonna pass the Globetrotters for a second.
    Punkin likes this.

I've never been to Rome, but I took 4 years of Latin in high school, just in case.

Mreid, how great for you to have had a chance to see Rome, at only 26 years old! I think everyone who loves this show loves it for the faraway places, with strange sounding names and not primarily, for the characters who are racing. Sunday nights, when TAR is in season, are my chance for an exotic trip around the world!
    waywyrd likes this.

I haven't posted here since Whodunnit was on. .... Have no idea who everyone is cheering for, and we're way too into the season for me to go back and read everything from the start.

I'll just say that I hope the Afganimals win the race. I love those guys. Second choice: Dave and Conner. Hope Brenchel (sp?) comes in last.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post

Mreid, how great for you to have had a chance to see Rome, at only 26 years old! I think everyone who loves this show loves it for the faraway places, with strange sounding names and not primarily, for the characters who are racing. Sunday nights, when TAR is in season, are my chance for an exotic trip around the world!
    This is the only reality show Mr. Sweetpea will watch with me, for exactly the reason you described. Before we went to Europe last summer, we watched the season where they went to Istanbul and Barcelona, two of the stops on our upcoming cruise. In Istanbul the racers had to interact with an ice cream vendor by the spice market, who would flip the ice cream in and out of the cone to fool you, using this long handle. It was pretty funny, so of course we had to find the stall when we were there and experience it for ourselves. We never would have looked for it if we hadn't watched the show. This season it was all about remembering our day in Rome and (if I have my way) talking about going back again. We did throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain which is supposed to ensure that you return!

At 13 years old, my girls have travelled more than I could have ever dreamed as a child. Watching this show keeps the travel dream alive for us as a family.
    Valar Morghulis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast