+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: 3/2 TAR 24: Episode 2 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 3/2 TAR 24: Episode 2 **West Coast Spoilers**

Well said, (not so) mushybrain
    Part of why I was so fond of both Mark and Bopper was the genuine joy you could feel while they experienced things for the first time.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Part of why I was so fond of both Mark and Bopper was the genuine joy you could feel while they experienced things for the first time.
    Absolutely!
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

That was a hard episode to watch. On the one hand, it's easy for Mallory to say Mark could race without his belongings, and yes, other racers would likely have shared what clothing they could with him. But what about the promo for next week? Do people bring more than one bathing suit along in their pack? He would have been in trouble there. And what if they made it several legs further and ended up in a very cold location? What then, Mallory?

It was very uncomfortable to watch them each struggle to make their view clear, and the language barrier didn't help as they were trying to figure out how to communicate with the cab drivers and go back for the backpack. I think if they had turned around immediately when they realized they didn't have it, that would have saved a ton of time. I really felt badly for Mark, saying that when you are poor you don't just leave your belongings, and the backpack was borrowed, not even his. But at the same time I felt badly for Mallory because yes, in the grand scheme of things, to her it was just "stuff" and not worth losing out on the experience and possibly $$ that you get by remaining on the race.

I would also imagine that Mark felt he couldn't communicate with her. She's practically a stranger, a much younger woman, and he likely felt he would look very badly if he went off on her like he might if it were his good friend and they were having an argument. It was just uncomfortable all around.

That said, they didn't get eliminated because they left the backpack behind. They got eliminated because the stress of it and the resulting tension between them made it almost impossible for them to settle down and do the task. There were still teams there when they arrived, but they couldn't get the hang of the challenge quickly enough to make it through. I hope that's the last we see of "made up" teams in this race.

I was glad the Cowboys gave the express pass to the blondes so they could burn it immediately, even though I really wanted them to NOT give it up so the whiny one would have had to put the car together. Honestly, she didn't even seem to give it a good try. The other girls who did the task managed, so it's not "boys are better at this" my girl, it's "I suck and won't even try to do something challenging so we'll just flirt until we get what we want." Well, that might have worked this leg but it won't get them to the end, thank goodness.

I'm sorry, but count me in as someone who doesn't care for Luke. He seems so petulant and his tantrums are really frustrating to watch. His disability would be very difficult to manage on the race, I understand that and I certainly sympathize, but his attitude is really off putting, frankly. That said, his mom rocked that car building task. I was impressed.
    Valar Morghulis

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I will give Mallory credit for one thing. As they were discussing options as to which task to do, she said, "Which one is closer?" She was trying to shave time where she could.

I'd have gone for the cupping. I LOVE massages, and am married to someone is not very coordinated.

Many are giving Luke a tough time for his "tantrums". I personally don't see that many of them. If you have dealt with the deaf community itself, not just one on one with a deaf person, you will find that many within the deaf community are VERY expressive. It is part of the way you have to do sign language. Sign language isn't about just making motions with your hands, everything about you including your position, your facial expression, etc. is taken into account when using sign language. Thus lots of emotion is expressed during conversations. Also things like stomping feet and other indications are also necessary because that can be a way of telling someone you want their attention without actually touching them. Also many within the deaf community, due to the emotional needs of sign language tend to be display emotion in general then those people not in the community itself. Many of Luke's tantrums can be attributed to just not understanding the deaf community.

Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    Many are giving Luke a tough time for his "tantrums". I personally don't see that many of them. If you have dealt with the deaf community itself, not just one on one with a deaf person, you will find that many within the deaf community are VERY expressive. It is part of the way you have to do sign language. Sign language isn't about just making motions with your hands, everything about you including your position, your facial expression, etc. is taken into account when using sign language. Thus lots of emotion is expressed during conversations. Also things like stomping feet and other indications are also necessary because that can be a way of telling someone you want their attention without actually touching them. Also many within the deaf community, due to the emotional needs of sign language tend to be display emotion in general then those people not in the community itself. Many of Luke's tantrums can be attributed to just not understanding the deaf community.
    I go by what his mother says to him, she has lived with him and knows him well.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    Thank you for sharing this perspective. These are things I ignorantly never considered. I will try to keep this in mind when I watch his behavior. I may still come away with my feelings that he is immature, but I will at least have a better understanding of why he acts and reacts as he does.
    holly71 likes this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Sorry, but I don't see it! I find him to be an ill behaved, petulant, badly raised child. It's a tossup for me as to who I want to see gone first. The brat and his mother, Brenchel, or the YouTubers. Has there ever been a triple elimination?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Sorry, but I don't see it! I find him to be an ill behaved, petulant, badly raised child. It's a tossup for me as to who I want to see gone first. The brat and his mother, Brenchel, or the YouTubers. Has there ever been a triple elimination?
    I love it when Luke's mother says don't shout! and then he signs madly at her. As I said, she knows him better than anyone, I don't know if he was raised badly though.
    holly71 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I've been exposed to several hearing-impaired people during my life. I find they're just like normal people in some ways; there are well-behaved ones and spoiled ones. IMO, Luke is spoiled. He's in his late 20s, but seems to be about 8 years old emotionally. He has no patience - which one should have learned by his age, whether hearing impaired or not. I wonder how he manages at work if he stomps around and pitches a fit whenever people don't do what he wants them to do (as he does with Mama).

I'm not a fan of Mama either, but I will give her credit for not leaving him home while she runs the race with someone who really IS a partner.
    NCLurker and sclilred1 like this.

+ Reply to Thread