+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: 11/17 TAR 23: Episode 8 ***West Coast SPOILERS***

Re: 11/17 TAR 23: Episode 8 ***West Coast SPOILERS***

I was sorry to see Nikki and Kim go. They have been consistently polite to the inhabitants of any country they visited, have really appreciated their opportunities, and they have played fairly. At least they have better lives than Marie can ever hope to have.

I fondly recall the earlier seasons of this show when everyone just raced and did their best without any U-turns or express passes or any need to lie, cheat, or steal. It's no wonder they've lost their perennial grip on the Emmy award.
    Punkin, cubsfan55 and wannasee like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    This is my least favorite reality show. That is because most of these tasks could be performed anywhere. We and they get very little of the taste of the culture. And it exhausts me! I have no problem with the U turns or alliances. Bungie jumping is not a huge interest of mine since it happens everywhere there is a bridge, old news. Race cars? What does that have to do with the culture of that country, wherever it was.

I would like to see a race here in the states that is a scavenger hunt along with some challenges. More puzzles and brain work with less of the physical feats. There would be more car travel and less airpot scenes though there would have to be some, of course. Tourism would increase in the areas of particular interest and it is within the grasp of most Americans to travel there. And it would allow people who are not athletic to compete.
    It must be very difficult trying to set up different kinds of challenges that fulfill the necessary requirements of race producers. I do think they try as much as possible to make it something involving the culture of the place they are visiting but since that may not always be possible, I do see that they at least try to showcase the place visually.

This last leg was actually pretty good when it came to the place and culture. You got the camel beauty contest, the wedding food prep, dune racing in the desert and they showcased the old architecture. Same with the last leg. They showed of the beautiful mosque...which is all they really can do with such a holy site and they did the racing at the track which is something they are trying to promote since it is fairly new to F1. In some less travelled countries they probably get suggestions from local tourist/government officials as to things they would like to promote/showcase. Also keep in mind, in the UAE and some other countries, there may be cultural restrictions for the women that producers must respect which further limits the challenges they can do. The Canadian AR did a really good job of setting up challenges all across the country which really tied in with the local flavour...very in keeping with what you suggested.
    Last edited by Midol; 11-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Punkin and Shoepie like this.
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Midol View Post
    It must be very difficult trying to set up different kinds of challenges that fulfill the necessary requirements of race producers. I do think they try as much as possible to make it something involving the culture of the place they are visiting but since that may not always be possible, I do see that they at least try to showcase the place visually.

This last leg was actually pretty good when it came to the place and culture. You got the camel beauty contest, the wedding food prep, dune racing in the desert and they showcased the old architecture. Same with the last leg. They showed of the beautiful mosque...which is all they really can do with such a holy site and they did the racing at the track which is something they are trying to promote since it is fairly new to F1. In some less travelled countries they probably get suggestions from local tourist/government officials as to things they would like to promote/showcase. Also keep in mind, in the UAE and some other countries, there may be cultural restrictions for the women that producers must respect which further limits the challenges they can do. The Canadian AR did a really good job of setting up challenges all across the country which really tied in with the local flavour...very in keeping with what you suggested.

Also, UAE is the most Westernized contry in the Middle East. They're famous for luxury hotels and office buildings. I remember reading once that the UAE is where Muslim men go when they want to get away from the strict rules in their own country, in terms of alcohol and women. So it's kind of like a Las Vegas or Monte Carlo in the Middle East.

Given that, I agree that the producers actually did a pretty good of featuring the culture. I absolutely loved the camel beauty pageant. I LOL when the female racer said it reminded me of her own beauty pageant days, or when the racers would say, "Look at that. She's strutting! Go, girl!"
    Punkin, Shoepie and Photobabe like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

I am not so certain the docs had to use the express pass on this leg. I think their thought was it is the opportune time to use it to make sure they wweren't u-turned. Theis is the last u-turn so they knew it was a perfect spot. However, if the rules state before the final 5, then they had to use it. I'm not sure I heard the rules this year.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

I think TAR does an amazing job highlighting what makes each location they go to around the world interesting or beautiful or fun or challenging. On what other reality show would you find bunny racing, cheese rolling, borscht eating, hunting through clues in a temple dedicated to rats, sorting mail in the most remote post office in the world, selecting the most beautiful camel, climbing ice walls in Alaska, sleeping in the middle of a wild game range in Africa, participating in a Japanese game show eating sushi bombs, riding camels in Egypt, herding water buffalo in who remembers where, was it Thailand? I could go on and on.

My family and I remember so many specific tasks and places on the race, places that we've immediately put on our bucket list to go to. In fact, when we were in Istanbul this summer we hunted down one of those tricky ice-cream guys who pull the cones out from under your nose, and just had to get a cone. It was a riot, and just like depicted on the show. If we didn't watch TAR, we likely wouldn't have given it a second thought!

I think the producer's commitment to showcasing how amazing the world is, is reflected in the quality of the show. It didn't win all those Emmy's for nothing!
    Punkin, Arielflies, GabbyG and 4 others like this.

Yup, i do not agree with what Shoepie said because of the things already mentioned above. Frankly, im not even sure how The Voice won best reality show.

I believe it was in the Philippines where they had to plow the rice field using a carabao which is a cultural thing there. I remember one of the contestants saying "My ox is broken!" Out of frustration because it will not cooperate.

Don't forget the Express Pass in India where they have to shave their head (male or female) as part of the ritual. It's great that they are making the Speed Bump harder this time. I thought they were too easy before and hated it.
    Punkin and Duckyface like this.

It was a fast forward that they had their heads shaved. The famous ox is broken came from Jonathon.
    There's no place like home!

One thing I am liking about this season is that it seems like for the first time ever (not including family season) they are skipping India. Yes I realize India is a culture shock for many people, but with all the countries they have never been to, India shouldn't be in EVERY season.

Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    One thing I am liking about this season is that it seems like for the first time ever (not including family season) they are skipping India. Yes I realize India is a culture shock for many people, but with all the countries they have never been to, India shouldn't be in EVERY season.
    They have skipped India a couple of times, but it's not enough for my liking. The country does have a lot of interesting locations and the like, but it has been far overused.

It is the first time they've used the current location, but they have been to Dubai as well.

I think the ONLY place they may never travel to again is North Korea after the GIGANTIC (and to a point deserved) flack over a. the Communism is great roadblock (The song and dance number - and there were teams upset about that post show) and b. the B-17 bomber wreck being used more as window dressing at a route marker instead of making folks think about it. I *STILL* think that North Korea did require the show to use it, so they could use it as a propaganda tool to show the world they are capable of fighting still.
    Punkin likes this.

I think this is one of the better reality shows on TV, we have a little of everything. I love Survivor, but really there isn't a lot to set up for. I think they do an Amazing job with this show
    Punkin, NCLurker, GabbyG and 2 others like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast