+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Other TARs?

Other TARs?

So, I've been looking around for more information about TAR, and found that next to the massive list of 23 US TARs, there are TARs from other countries, as well, and quite curious about some of the details.

Canada seems to have only one season, and is a race around Canada, instead of around the world. The prize money is a lot less cash, but also has lots of extras tossed in. It only has 9 teams, and they seem to be built up rather differently. For example, they have 4 out of 9 family teams, two of which were colored sisters. Makes me curious if they have a much smaller base to pick contestants from, or have a different view of what would be interesting teams.

Where Canada tries to remain cheaper by staying in the country, Australia seems to do the opposite. The prize money is a lot less cash than in the US version, and unlike the Canadian version, no extras are tossed in, but they do take it around different continents, and even have contestants travel multiple times during a single leg. Episodes also seem to last longer than usual, and Grant Bowler did more for me than the Canadian host.

What are people's opinions on these alternative TARs? I watched the Canada one and the first Australian one, and they seem similar enough that if you enjoy one TAR, you'll enjoy the others.

And are there more of them? I know there's an Asian version, but I haven't checked it yet. I don't mind subtitles in a movie, but having constant subtitles in a reality-show would be somewhat weird.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I didn't find any recent threads about them, and I didn't want to necro.

Re: Other TARs?

I loved the Canadian AR. I love that we got to see all of our country. I almost wish they would do an AR just in the US. There is so much to see .
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

There are varied, some do need subtitles (but don't have them) since they speak that region's native language. Asia doesn't have or need subtitles, as they are all in English, with the first season of Asia still being a big favorite of mine. China Rush has subtitles for non-English speakers. The Latin-American version has subtitles for the Brazilian contestants, but the rest is in Spanish, except season 4, in which all contestants were from Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I loved the Canadian AR. I love that we got to see all of our country.
    I didn't actually realize it was Canada only until halfway the second episode. I understood that a tighter budget would mean less moving around, so it was completely understandable that they lingered around in Canada for a while longer.

It bummed me a bit when I realized that they weren't going to leave the country, but I quickly forgot about. Despite that limitation, it was an interesting show in a beautiful country, and they managed to keep the lap locations and tasks quite diverse.

It doesn't seem like they could keep that up for long, though. I'm no Canadian expert (The only real thing I know is that despite having 200x our landmass, you have 2x our population. ), but I can imagine they took the more exotic spots of the country, and while a second season might work, I guess they'd run out of options soon without getting repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    There are varied, some do need subtitles (but don't have them) since they speak that region's native language. Asia doesn't have or need subtitles, as they are all in English, with the first season of Asia still being a big favorite of mine. China Rush has subtitles for non-English speakers. The Latin-American version has subtitles for the Brazilian contestants, but the rest is in Spanish, except season 4, in which all contestants were from Brazil.
    Asia is in English? I'll be sure to check that out, then. Actual English by the contestants, or dubbed?

Not so sure about China Rush. I don't know how I feel about watching a reality show with subtitles...

Either way, thanks for the reply.

The first season of Canadian AR just aired this summer and they are casting for the second season. My understanding is that they wanted to showcase Canada the first season and to see how well it did. I believe that in future editions there will be travel out of the country, but I don't think it will be as much as the US version. We have a much smaller population and the profit margins will be smaller...so a smaller travel budget.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

Mmh, I also understood that the main Canadian airline was a big sponsor of TAR: Canada, which must've helped keep costs of airline tickets down. If they leave the country, that would be a lot harder.

I did notice quite well that in the 1st season of the Australian version (I yet have to see the 2nd version), they stuck mostly to 2nd/3rd world countries, which should've kept costs down as well. Then again, they had legs where teams traveled to a city, did one simple task, and then traveled to a whole other city. I'm Dutch, and I was pleasantly surprised to see them hit Amsterdam, which was quickly turned around when they only had to eat some delicacies, and then head out of the country again. :o

I've been digging around, and most of the other TARs seem to do that as well, stick mostly to the cheaper countries in an attempt to keep the show affordable. Since they are often also the more exotic countries, I don't consider that a problem, though.

At least, even though your low population, you still have a huge landmass waiting to be explored. We have 1/2 your population, and 1/200 your landmass. We can travel the country corner to corner to corner by regular train within a day. There is nothing exotic about the other end of the country for us.
    Last edited by Thels; 11-04-2013 at 06:02 PM.

CCL

I've heard that the second season of TAR Canada will go to the Americas. I thought having it just in Canada would be limiting (like the US family TAR which was mainly in the US) but it wasn't. And there's so much of Canada they didn't show. What you have to understand about Canada is we have a much smaller market, which means less money to put into programming. And TAR is an expensive show to make. Plus we get a lot of American programming so there's not necessarily an incentive to make a Canadian version. The prize money for the Canadian version was pretty good (and I wonder if they had to pay tax on it as we don't have to pay tax on competition winnings generally) and I thought the prize of free first class travel anywhere in the world for a year was a terrific prize in addition to the money and the cars. And the public got the chance to win the trip prizes each week, along with the first class travel, which was cool. I liked the Canadian host (he's an Olympic champion in skeleton; this was his first hosting gig) and I liked most of the teams.

I wouldn't mind seeing TAR Australia but I'd have to look for it and I haven't bothered yet.
    Last edited by CCL; 11-04-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I watched all of Asia, some of Australia, and the second season of Israel, despite hardly any English.

While a lot of the challenges in the Israeli version are ridiculous (get random people and sing Israeli folk music, take photos of random people kissing you, get random people to wear a fake Hassidic beard, etc.), I liked it. Most of the teams seemed likeable (despite no English... well they use English when speaking to locals of other countries). I was happy with the eventual winners.

The Australian version is great. It's very well done. The Asian version is good too. I recommend both.

I never bothered to check out the Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I never bothered to check out the Canadian.
    It's good, though, despite staying within the Canadian borders. Certainly worth checking out.

And yes, the Canadian prize money wasn't as much as the US prize money, but the extras made up quite a bit for that. It looked like a more well-rounded prize than the Australian one, which was a tad peculiar. Canada more prize money, Australia more exotic travels.

Australia is going to work with New Zealand for the next season, which could mean a larger budget, which is never a bad thing. It's unfortunate that Canada doesn't have a neighboring country to share the costs with. The US is on a different level, and already having a good show on their own. They don't need Canada's help there.

The Canadian host was quite ok. He did well, and wasn't in the slightest annoying. I just happen to like both Phil and Grant more.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing TAR Australia but I'd have to look for it and I haven't bothered yet.
    They're pretty easy to find online. I would drop a link, but I have no idea what the rules are on this forum.
    Last edited by Thels; 11-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.

TAR Canada has its own thread in Other Reality Shows. I believe TAR Asia does as well. If you want to discover the chatter about them, you might check out their threads.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast