+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Other TARs?

Re: Other TARs?

It's rather interesting that TAR Australia is introducing it's own game elements not found in the US version, such as the Salvage Pass and the Voted U-Turn. I quite liked the Salvage Pass and Voted U-Turn. I also quite liked how they handled the Fast Forward, which wasn't so much on a first come, first serve basis, as there was a good chance of a team not willing to do the Fast Forward.

It also brought back the Intersection and Yield. The Intersection was a nice idea implemented wrong. Since it always came at places where teams arrived one by one, it basically meant that each odd arriving team was delayed until the next even arriving team arrived, without there really being much teamwork involved. There was also little choice in teammates, as it was stupid to not take the first opportunity available. It also caused one team to practically Yield themselves, as they had to wait for the team that they Yielded just before the Intersection.

Had they been located directly after a catch-up point early into an episode, so that teams actually had to decide who they'd pair up with, and lasted a little longer than just one task, they would've been much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I loved the Canadian AR. I love that we got to see all of our country. I almost wish they would do an AR just in the US. There is so much to see .
    The Families TAR back in the fall of 2005 was US-only. If you didn't see it, you should check it out. They covered a lot of interesting country in the US.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

If I understood correctly, it was North America only, with mostly US, but they did visit some other countries. Having them stay in the US most of the time didn't seem to sit well with the audience, though.

On an unrelated note, I don't know if it's the smaller budget, or sharper use of a game element, but I noticed in the Australian version that the cash limit caused for a lot more problems than what I've seen in the US version so far and in the Canadian version. Especially in the 2nd season of Australia, several teams were eliminated, because they were held up, because they ran out of money.

Contestants had to actually be smart about "Do we want the cab waiting for us or not?", and too much detouring could cause them to get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thels View Post
    If I understood correctly, it was North America only, with mostly US, but they did visit some other countries. Having them stay in the US most of the time didn't seem to sit well with the audience, though.

On an unrelated note, I don't know if it's the smaller budget, or sharper use of a game element, but I noticed in the Australian version that the cash limit caused for a lot more problems than what I've seen in the US version so far and in the Canadian version. Especially in the 2nd season of Australia, several teams were eliminated, because they were held up, because they ran out of money.

Contestants had to actually be smart about "Do we want the cab waiting for us or not?", and too much detouring could cause them to get stuck.
    It wasn't the fact that the show was filmed in the US that was the problem, it was the families part that did them in. Unfortunately, they had families with small children competing against others that were all adults so the challenges were kind of limiting. If they wanted to do families, there should have been an age limit...at least teenagers or even higher.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

The Family Edition was okay.

I avoided it for a while but when I ended up watching it, it wasn't that bad. I liked the winners.

The Asian versions of AR are in English and really fun (you can find them on YouTube . They stay within Asia mostly, and venture to Europe and Africa some. They do not go to the U.S. or America.

Amazing Race Latin America is in Spanish. It stays within Latin America. Production/challenges are more low-key for budgetary reason I guess. One interesting aspect is that when teams travel from one country to the next via airplanes, they leave from the destination airport in the same order/time they arrived/made the reservation at the origin airport. Immigration differ from one country to the other so they try to make it fair that way I guess.

There was a big controversy (and the reason I stopped watching) in AR Latin American on season 2. The production of the show was given to Mexico (season 2) and in leg 6th one member of one of the Mexican teams lost his passport. The Mexican team was checked at the pit stop (the last team arriving was out) and they were given time and facilities to get new passport/paperwork before the end of the next leg. Favoritism was so blatant (specially because both production and the team were Mexican) that forums went berserk ) After that I didn't feel like watching any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Midol View Post
    It wasn't the fact that the show was filmed in the US that was the problem, it was the families part that did them in. Unfortunately, they had families with small children competing against others that were all adults so the challenges were kind of limiting. If they wanted to do families, there should have been an age limit...at least teenagers or even higher.
    Perhaps, or every team should have kids involved, and some of the roadblocks would be a kid roadblock, and others an adult road block?

I haven't seen TAR Family Edition yet. I guess I will eventually.

Watching TAR Asia is on my to do list.

Watching TAR family edition was painful, mostly because of the Weaver Family. *shudder*
    JohnnyK likes this.

I was really liking TAR Asia (on Dailymotion, the quality is better than on Youtube), up until the Japanese episode in season 2...

Who thought of placing a catch-up at the very end of an episode? What's the point of the episode then?

Though I guess I already went on this fit with the Norway episode for TAR 24.

Though, bonus points for lots of girls in the season, some of which are quite cute

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Norway has its own version as well. I tried watching the first season but the tasks seemed so tame and ridiculous compared to the US version that I quickly lost interest.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast