+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: 10/13 TAR 23: Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

To the Point

Re: 10/13 TAR 23: Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

Yeah, that was just tacky of the Texan fans yesterday. You don't cheer when a player gets injured, period! However, back to the race....I will miss team NFL.
    jadewarlock and Duckyface like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    Yeah, that was just tacky of the Texan fans yesterday. You don't cheer when a player gets injured, period! However, back to the race....I will miss team NFL.
    They need more folks like team NFL - who showed how to run a good race and when things go bad for you, you take it with grace and not yell at everyone for your choices. It was nice, and I wish they were on longer (even though most likely neither need the money as much as the others do).

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    The facial expressions on the actor who played Magellan were hysterical! "Maybe he took the Panama canal" and the milage answer the white guys gave first!
    My favorite parts/answers were:

1. Maybe he took the Panama Canal - OK, Magellan sailed around the world after 1914 in wooden boats when they had steam-powered boats by then. (The Titanic has nothing on these guys - they had to use the fast way with the steam when wooden boats sail better. ) We also wore puffy shirts, tight vests, pantaloons and tights during that time too.

2. 1,156 - not possible, even in regular miles let alone nautical. You're basically saying by crossing Texas and part of New Mexico you have sailed around the world and seen several countries.

3. 65,000+ miles - Well, the diameter around the equator of earth is 21,600 nautical miles, and Magellan's trip was approximately 16,500 nautical miles. So, essentially that team thought that he liked traveling around the world so much he did it THREE times by equator, FOUR times by the way he went.

(I admit maps are not always the easiest thing to do... but still, even I knew the diameter of the earth in just regular miles is smaller than 65K.)

One other funny point - the team that for some reason decided to use the compass the way WE normally use one - to draw circles to determine angles, and not as it's used in maps to determine distance.
    redsox girl and Duckyface like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    I actually have found Leo/Jamal don't bug me that much. I found them pretty intolerable the first week but since then I've been okay with them. Pinkie on the other hand needs to go ASAP!! She is not pleasant....understatement I know.
    While I am still not really a fan of Leo/Jamal they aren't annoying me quite as much as the first week, although they and their women were unbelievably stupid at the map.

Pinkie is unbearable and they were shortsighted not using the EP since they knew they were at the back of the race, but no exactly where in the order. I hope they go out next week with both EP's still on them.

I like that the show hasn't forced, through questions and editing, the sob story on us this year. I like the Oklahoma guys, although they probably would be better off teaming up with team Garanimals and their wives than on their own (thinking of the cowboys being shut out by other teams) and I would hate to be made to dislike them with continuous repetition of the sob story.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 10-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.

I like the **bearded ones **, I hope they are in the race for awhile
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    They need more folks like team NFL - who showed how to run a good race and when things go bad for you, you take it with grace and not yell at everyone for your choices. It was nice, and I wish they were on longer (even though most likely neither need the money as much as the others do).

My favorite parts/answers were:

1. Maybe he took the Panama Canal - OK, Magellan sailed around the world after 1914 in wooden boats when they had steam-powered boats by then. (The Titanic has nothing on these guys - they had to use the fast way with the steam when wooden boats sail better. ) We also wore puffy shirts, tight vests, pantaloons and tights during that time too.

2. 1,156 - not possible, even in regular miles let alone nautical. You're basically saying by crossing Texas and part of New Mexico you have sailed around the world and seen several countries.

3. 65,000+ miles - Well, the diameter around the equator of earth is 21,600 nautical miles, and Magellan's trip was approximately 16,500 nautical miles. So, essentially that team thought that he liked traveling around the world so much he did it THREE times by equator, FOUR times by the way he went.

(I admit maps are not always the easiest thing to do... but still, even I knew the diameter of the earth in just regular miles is smaller than 65K.)

One other funny point - the team that for some reason decided to use the compass the way WE normally use one - to draw circles to determine angles, and not as it's used in maps to determine distance.
    I think you mean the circumference of the earth around the equator, right? The diameter would cut through the center. Everything else you were spot on and thanks for the humor in your post.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Since my primary reason for watching is purely for the human interest stories and not strategy I like background stories. Makes me care about the people involved. That and how they behave,. I think without those elements the show wouldn't be compelling enough to watch. When you get down to it, much of the show is about catching train/plane and cab rides. Not exactly hold your breath TV. And you need a villain, I suppose. Pinkie is it this year and she may win as most unpleasant, I mean genuinely unpleasant person to ever walk the show. It's no act.
    Also, I'm the kiss of death for teams. Loved Team Bingo. There's something in me that wants to see people, who aren't young, buff and fit win. To defy odds and stereotypes. Plus, Pinkie looked down her nose at them. On the other hand, I rooted for team NFL because they were so genuinely happy and accepting and respectful. I feel happy watching folks like that. I'm not going to mention the third team I like because well, even though this was filmed months ago, who knows what power my jinx has! Strategy is secondary to me (which is why I would never win one of these shows lol). Am I the only one who watches specifically to root on certain teams? While also hoping for the come uppance of nasty contestants? Isn't that human nature?
    Punkin and Photobabe like this.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I think you mean the circumference of the earth around the equator, right? The diameter would cut through the center. Everything else you were spot on and thanks for the humor in your post.
    No, you are right, I meant circumference. At least I didn't think it was 1,000 miles across in diameter. I have a slight word association issue at times - mostly lack of sleep, so I looked at circumference and thought it said diameter.

And you're welcome for the humor. I was very surprised at some of the more simple errors, such as the Panema Canal. Does make me wonder if any of them realize that it was man made and not natural?

One other note, I know that they will stage or use bits of the locals reactions to the racer's mistakes, but the one they had of Magellan rolling his eyes was PERFECT for that particular team's flub. It was so funny and makes you think the real Magellan would've done the same thing.

The other challenges this go were also so cool - I liked the tile puzzle, adding to the difficulty as they couldn't break any, and the medieval crossbow type thing.

The comments about the chainmaille were also quite funny - "guys it's heavy." Um, yeah... even the more decorative versions I've seen (and made) they can weigh at least 10 pounds if not more. Jewelry alone usually averages 2-4 ounces. (And I think they use the real stuff, not the aluminum I'm used to making stuff with). WAS glad the producers allowed the racers help their teammate who was competing put the stuff on for that reason.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    No, you are right, I meant circumference. At least I didn't think it was 1,000 miles across in diameter. I have a slight word association issue at times - mostly lack of sleep, so I looked at circumference and thought it said diameter.

And you're welcome for the humor. I was very surprised at some of the more simple errors, such as the Panema Canal. Does make me wonder if any of them realize that it was man made and not natural?

As much as I like OK, I nearly died laughing at that mistake. The Canal was dug in the early 20th century. I remember turning to my husband and saying, "Er, not quite. They're only off by 500 years!"

I will say, though, that I was impressed at how they figured out they were being used by Afghanimals. Kudos to OK for finding a better flight.

One other note, I know that they will stage or use bits of the locals reactions to the racer's mistakes, but the one they had of Magellan rolling his eyes was PERFECT for that particular team's flub. It was so funny and makes you think the real Magellan would've done the same thing.

The other challenges this go were also so cool - I liked the tile puzzle, adding to the difficulty as they couldn't break any, and the medieval crossbow type thing.

The comments about the chainmaille were also quite funny - "guys it's heavy." Um, yeah... even the more decorative versions I've seen (and made) they can weigh at least 10 pounds if not more. Jewelry alone usually averages 2-4 ounces. (And I think they use the real stuff, not the aluminum I'm used to making stuff with). WAS glad the producers allowed the racers help their teammate who was competing put the stuff on for that reason.

Since real chain mail was designed for the express purpose of stopping a weapon, it could be quite heavy. I did some research, and the article I read said that historical/fantasy movies often use mail made out of plastic because it weighs less.

That reminds me. Several years ago I was visiting a Highland Games festival. I and my friend were looking at the weapons sold by a swordsmith. He allowed people to lift them up, and boy, they were heavy. He said that's because his swords were historically accurate. Then he added that a friend of his made weapons for Hollywood movies. "Only he has to use aluminum, or they'd never get those things off the ground!" the smith laughed. I think about that every time I see a movie with swords.

As for NFL, I think that was the saddest exit I've seen in several seasons of watching this show.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Haven't been a big fan of the doctor spouses, but next week's previews had me cheering for the wife.

Pinky: "What's the answer? We have the Express Pass!"
    Dr. Wife: "Give me the Express Pass and we'll tell you the answer. Give it to me right now if you want the answer."
    Pinky: (Jaw drops in amazement that Dr. Wife doesn't give her the answer without turning over the EP.)
    Dr. Wife: (Eyes roll and look of disdain at Pinky's attitude.)

I think next week is gonna be great fun!!!
    Minney, Shoepie and Midol like this.

I like the human interest stories too. I just don't like hearing about it all the time. When someone says "My Mom died and my dog ran away and my cat has cancer so I could really use the money" every time we hear them speak I get tired of hearing it. A lot of times it's not even the contestant but the producers who force that upon us, but it effects the way I feel about the contestant anyway.
    pikachu likes this.

+ Reply to Thread