+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: 4/21 TAR 22 Episode 9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 4/21 TAR 22 Episode 9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    He did look up and checked out the packs on the upper railing...maybe he missed his? Thank goodness no passport snafu (so far) this Race.

I forgave the young, fluffy people for not knowing what for me is recent history, but for them is ancient history. I cringed, but then I laughed.

People think of Berlin as stodgy, NOT! Before the war, the Cabaret scene was happening there (raunchy, decadent). Now with freedom the sixties (that they missed) is blossoming. That labyrinth reminded me of one I entered at a Be-In in San Francisco in 1967. They are behind in protesting the stodgy, but they make it euro-interesting.

Happy for the Non-elimination.
    I. I guess it frustrates me that people have no interest in reading about history. The young, the middle-aged, the old. Generally speaking. This lack of curiosity about the world, A sort of willful, proud ignorance, it`s sad. The two women who thought Roosevelt said `tear down this wall` to `China` are in their thirties. The newlywed guy, who made a big point of saying Reagan is his favorite president, got the answer wrong! The question about where did Reagen say tear down this wall, even if you have no clue, you are sitting in Berlin, Germany and one of the choices is , well, Germany! Let`s use some common sense and basic reasoning skills, at least lol
    waywyrd, Florimel, Kao and 1 others like this.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

I couldn't agree more, redsox girl. Today's interest in pseudo celebrities takes precedence over knowing world history and science for so many people now, thank goodness not for my family. JFK's, "Ich bin ein Berliner," is still shown on tv and in films. It's important to know who said what, even if you don't admire them. I never liked Reagan, but I knew that quote and Kruschev's, "We will buy you."

I recall a few seasons ago when most of the racers did not recognize a picture of Jackie Kennedy.
    redsox girl likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    I. I guess it frustrates me that people have no interest in reading about history. The young, the middle-aged, the old. Generally speaking. This lack of curiosity about the world, A sort of willful, proud ignorance, it`s sad. The two women who thought Roosevelt said `tear down this wall` to `China` are in their thirties. The newlywed guy, who made a big point of saying Reagan is his favorite president, got the answer wrong! The question about where did Reagen say tear down this wall, even if you have no clue, you are sitting in Berlin, Germany and one of the choices is , well, Germany! Let`s use some common sense and basic reasoning skills, at least lol

I recognized those quotes, and I went to public schools. However I also developed a passion for history and have read about Kennedy and Reagan since leaving school.

I couldn't agree more about using common sense. HELLO. Why in the heck would Reagan tell China to tear down their wall? How has the Great Wall of China offended anybody? Heck, I can remember Jim McKay of ABC'S Wide World of Sports hitting golf balls off that thing every time the show went to China. Sheesh, people. Please, please tell me that these racers know what the Berlin Wall is. If I didn't know that Reagan said that quote, I could have guessed Berlin Wall. It came down while I was in high school and I remember our German Club having a party for the school. It was so sweet.

Florimel

I recall a few seasons ago when most of the racers did not recognize a picture of Jackie Kennedy.
    They didn't recognize Jackie O? Jacqueline Kennedy "the most glamorous woman in the world" Onassis? Seriously? AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH.
    Last edited by Babbred; 04-22-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    redsox girl likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

"Which US President said 'Tear down this wall'?"

"Great Wall of China?"

redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I remember that too & was completely & utterly shocked. You don't have to be a history buff or even care much for history to know who she is! (or so I thought!)
    I couldn't even believe it. That was truly pathetic.
    redsox girl likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Kao

Berlin is one of my favorite cities to visit so I was glad to see it on this leg. I never thought I would say this, but thank goodness for the Youtubers. Their enthusiasm was just the thing to see after the newlyweds. Are they ever happy about anything?
    sweetpea and redsox girl like this.

I kinda wish Chuck and Wynona were on this leg of the race just because I wanted to see her fall of face first off the building and then do the labyrinth; I think that would have been priceless TV viewing.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    What a contrast between Max and Katie's attitude at the bar/labyrinth in comparison to the youtubers.
    This really stood out to me, too. Max and Katie acted like saw something dirty on their shoe when they entered the bar. The youtubers thought it was great fun and hilarious. My liking of them grew a lot at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Even the honeymooners have seemed to tone down their obnoxiousness. Although the girl (sorry can't recall their names) always looks unhappy. She's like grumpy cat LOL
    There is something really off about Katie. I noticed this as well. At the pit stop, when Phil told them they were first, Max was jumping up and down and she barely cracked a smile. She didn't even have a pleasant look for the greeter. Only when Phil said they had each won a car did she bother to smile. I think she has some kind of social disorder. She's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    I never thought I would say this, but thank goodness for the Youtubers. Their enthusiasm was just the thing to see after the newlyweds. Are they ever happy about anything?
    Max is a pill but at least he got excited to be in first and to win the car. Katie acted like a robot.
    FlyAKite likes this.

What was the name of that club with the maze? I told hubby I want to go, but only if I can cling to him. I thought it was so brave of those racers to go it alone. I probably would have been freaking out.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast