+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: 3/24 TAR 22 Episode 6 **West Coast Spoilers**

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: 3/24 TAR 22 Episode 6 **West Coast Spoilers**

Just got this e-mail from CBS:

Thank you for taking the time to write to CBS about the March 17th episode of THE AMAZING RACE.

As you may know, at the beginning of last night's broadcast, we aired the following apology:
    "Parts of last Sunday's Episode filmed in Vietnam were insensitive to a group that is very important to us: our nation's veterans. We want to apologize to veterans - particularly those who served in Vietnam - as well as their families and any viewers who were offended by the broadcast. All of us here have the most profound respect for the men and women who fight for our country."

All of us in the CBS family are proud of our longstanding efforts on behalf of veterans - Public service announcements in support of veterans' causes; countless hours of national and local news coverage of veterans' issues; sponsorship of and participation at veterans job fairs; and other special events such as the "Wounded Warrior" PSA we were proud to broadcast during this year's Super Bowl. We look forward to continuing similar cooperative efforts in the future.

We sincerely appreciate your comments and wish to assure you that they have been shared with the producers of THE AMAZING RACE and the senior executives at the CBS Television Network and the CBS Corporation.

Cordially,

Ray Faiola
    Director,
    CBS Audience Services
    Arielflies and Photobabe like this.

I don't think anyone was in any danger from the lion. First, from the quality of the picture it was obvious the lion was very far away. Second, there were 3 bushman, a camera man, a sound man, the young woman (sorry, I forgot her name) and probably other folks as well. A lion is not going to venture into a crowd to attack. If an individual were standing there alone, it might be different. But a group? No way. Also, there were 3 bushman but only one climbed the tree. I figured he went up the tree for a better look.

Also, remember, this was filmed in a park. The lions are accustomed to seeing groups of people. Heck, I have a neighbor who camped in one of those parks. She said they got pretty close to the lions several times. She said the lions mostly ignored them.

Thanks for posting that letter AZChristian. It's good to know that sometimes people listen and respond.
    jadewarlock and AZChristian like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I enjoyed this leg quite a bit mainly because we got to see so much of the locals and most teams being respectful to them and just having fun.

It was cool to see Bates & Anthony do well, they're such a likeable team. I understand people being scared of them as a physical threat, but honestly, I think physicality is the most they got going for them, they don't seem to be particularly adept at other things. I like the flirting they got going on with the Country Belles too, I enjoy the girls as well. It was cute how the bushmen mentioned a few times how pretty the girls were. As for the lion thing, I don't think the girls even noticed the lion, though apparently it was far enough that the lion didn't notice them either.

Team Kawaii and the Taxidermullets made very smart choices last night with that Detour, it was great to see them go from the back of the pack to second and third, shows how choosing a Detour can really affect everything. I believe Pam & Winnie mentioned they chose the trap detour because they watch a lot of tv and know hwo difficult it is to start a fire with no lighter or matches, seems they have watched plenty of Survivor. As for Chuck & Wynona, nice to see them do well, but it should not have taken them this long to notice that she has to start doing Roadblocks too, at this point that will be an even bigger disadvantage than her being a slow runner.

I find myself not liking Team Youtube and the Roller Moms as much as before. To be fair to Joey, I'd have probably freaked out just as much as him about the scorpion. The Roller Moms also could've made a big mistake last night wanting to take a car when the clue specifically said to go to the Pitstop on foot, but at least they rectified that mistake.

The Snobby Shrews, I'll have to at least give credit to Max for thinking of taking thick gloves to the race because he knew he would eventually have to touch something gross, very smart thinking pre-Race. Everything else, I abhorred, especially Katie's horrible comments about the bushmen stinking. What, does she think they have daily access to showers, bath oils and perfumes? What a hag! Brings back horrid memories of season 6's KKKendra, and how fitting that this one's name also starts with the letter K. Gonna have to start calling her KKKatie if she keeps this up. I was glad to see them come last but I already knew a real NEL was long overdue, shame it had to be now. Hopefully they get eliminated next episode.

Next week's episode brings back memories from the first leg of season 12, where they had to walk donkies, and I remember a number of teams having a lot of problems with them, leaing to the very satisfying elimination of jerks Ari & Staella (still one of the best first eliminations of any season). It will be interesting to see which of these teams have the patience and know-how to deal with stubborn donkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I don't think anyone was in any danger from the lion. First, from the quality of the picture it was obvious the lion was very far away. Second, there were 3 bushman, a camera man, a sound man, the young woman (sorry, I forgot her name) and probably other folks as well. A lion is not going to venture into a crowd to attack. If an individual were standing there alone, it might be different. But a group? No way. Also, there were 3 bushman but only one climbed the tree. I figured he went up the tree for a better look.

Also, remember, this was filmed in a park. The lions are accustomed to seeing groups of people. Heck, I have a neighbor who camped in one of those parks. She said they got pretty close to the lions several times. She said the lions mostly ignored them.

Thanks for posting that letter AZChristian. It's good to know that sometimes people listen and respond.

That was my first thought. "Seriously, people? AR would really film in an area where their contestants could get eaten? Nope, not buyin' it." I didn't know they were filming inside a park. I just thought the whole thing looked dodgy. Also, years ago I read that if you're in the real wilderness and come across a lion, act crazy and make lots of noise. The author said that lions are used to their prey running away, so if you just remain calm and intimidating, the lion will back off. Also, I saw a Nat Geo special that said lions can climb trees if they have to. And as you said, lions (like leopards) hunt individual animals. They cull out a weak member from the herd. If you stay together in a group, you should be ok. (In that same Nat Geo special, some lions tried to attack some elephants. The elephants gathered in a circle back-to-back and held off the lions all night. The lions finally gave up and attacked a stray elephant who blundered into the scene. ) Given all this, the female racer was probably safer on the ground.

Yes, it was smart to go straight for the trap. Ask any Boy Scout and he'll tell you that it's darn hard to make fire with just a stick.

It's funny about the Newlyweds. I don't mind Max but I can't stand Katie. Go figure.

Great point about the teams not knowing where they were going. Two teams got to the travel agency and guessed Kenya. They only got past the guard because a team inside leaned out the door and told them Botswana. At the time I didn't mind, since they were all going to bunch up at the airport. Then I saw that nobody was helping Team Mullet and I felt really bad for them. If Wynona was truly looking at their visa list, then that was actually a very smart thing to do. She may irritate me occasionally, but overall I like them.
    Last edited by Babbred; 03-25-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    redsox girl likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Late to the party so will just say that I truly enjoyed this episode and also enjoyed reading all of your comments and thoughts of this leg. I had a feeling it was going to be a NEL so that part didn't surprise me.

I agree with those that are liking Chuck and Wynonna more as I am too. I thought they did really well this leg and I give them a lot of credit as both of them seemed to work really well on this leg. Chuck has been the one so far that has kept them in this race with a lot of his skills that he has handled with ease. I give Wynonna credit as well for being able to do the scorpion task because they give me the willies. I had no idea that what the bush men were doing with them in their mouth would have a tranquilizing effect. I guess that is why I like AR so much because I learn so much about the culture of each country. Loved seeing them have to pile them into the back of the car and it seemed like all of them had the biggest smile and were really enjoying themselves.

I think everything was already mentioned and yes I do NOT like Katie. Max is not as bad, but she needs a reality check. Still love the hockey players and glad they won another leg. I don't dislike any other team as much as Katie and Max so would like to see them go next. Previews show that Wynonna may have trouble with her canoe, but hope they are able to work together and get themselves out of it. They realize and often say they are the weakest team, but one way or another they are still in it. I hope they continue working together and maybe surprise some of the younger people.

AZChristian just wanted you to know when I saw the message that CBS put up I thought of you immediately and hope your hubby felt a bit better. Nice to see that they emailed you as well. I can't imagine what people go through when they see things that have to bring back horrible memories for them. My thanks to all the men and women who serve our country.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    No - it wasn't. They showed the shot with them pointing and there is a clear lion in the background where they were. There was indeed danger. They may have recreated the tree climbing though AFTER the danger passed.
    I don't buy it. As some people mentioned, AR will not let their contestants get eaten by wild animals. The lion was pretty far and 1 bushman must have climb the tree to get a better look on how far the lion was from them. Its all editing, the lion was nowhere close. The cameraman and sound guy would have ran for their lives if it was close. It was obviously fake and was done to create an aura of danger. They were in a park after all.
    holly71 and Shoepie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    I agree with most of your post and really just wanted to address the few issues in these items.

You asked how the know it's a non-poisonous scorpion. That knowledge is based on their thousands of years of living in that area and discovering which aspects of the environment
    are lethal and which ones aren't by observation.
    Not trying to be snarky but I think sometimes we forget that all human knowledge comes originally from observations.
    I was referring to the contestants, not the bushmen, who as you mentioned would know through observation. Sorry I wasn't clear there.

As for the Lion: if I saw the inhabitants of an area reacting in that way to any of the local wildlife I'd be right up that tree behind them, in front of them if possible. I think that sometimes people feel that the natural world is nothing more than what we all see on our tvs. Real lions in the savannah are not the trained and tranquilized lions seen in movies and on tv. I hope the racers learn at least the difference betweem real life and tv.

BTW this will rank as one of my all time fave episodes for how much we got to see of the Indigenous People of that area.
    Thank you TAR!
    I just remember how scared the contestants were in the third season of "Survivor" when one came had a lion come right next to the bushes that protected the camp (some sort of sharp bush with irritating burrs) and if a lion is hungry enough they will try.

Quote Originally Posted by fan999 View Post
    Those B52s dropped 20,000 tons of bombs on Hanoi during the Christmas 1972 raids and killed 1,000 civilians, many of whose relatives are alive today. It's not like our hands are clean. I agree that the visit to the memorial should have been treated more seriously and somberly, and it maybe didn't need to be in the show at all. I suspect that the producers -- some of whom might not be Americans -- picked it without much thought just because they knew the taxi drivers could find it. The song gave us an insight into how children are indoctrinated in their country, not much different from our kids singing "The Star Spangled Banner" and "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" (imagine what Vietnamese kids might make of our "By the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air...." and "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord..."). I think it's valuable to be reminded that the rest of the world doesn't see us the way we see ourselves.

BBC News - North Vietnam, 1972: The Christmas bombing of Hanoi
    The Christmas Bombing | Military Aviation | Air & Space Magazine

Thanks for the facts and information. My neighbor is a viet-nam vet and his wife is from Viet-Nam. Her family were affected by the war. I`ll leave it at that.
    Florimel likes this.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678