+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 99
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

  1. #61
    50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,442

    Re: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Thanks, Jadewarlock.

    I looked on Facebook, and apparently quite a few people were NOT pleased with the propaganda. Wondering what CBS and TAR bigwigs were thinking!

  2. #62
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,281

    Re: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

    I was going to say that I hope David & Connor get asked back on the Amazing Race if they do an All-Stars or second-chance season but it looks like other people beat me to it! I would gladly root for them again and hope next time an injury doesn't take them out early. I enjoyed their positive attitude and seeing how close those two are. They might not have won the Amazing Race but they're still winners in my book and they made the most of their experience together.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

  3. #63
    FORT Fogey veejer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,402

    Re: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

    AZChristian, I'm sorry for the way the trip to Hanoi made you and others feel.

    I was wondering how Dave would have felt if they had done the leg. If my math is correct, he turned 18 in 1970. He probably knew people who served over there.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

  4. #64
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,926

    Re: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    Jadewarlock: There is the uncomfortable fact that controversy creates more viewers. I can see that as a possible reason for their filming in such controversial and still-disturbing areas of Vietnam as well as the use of the in your face "Socialism" song.

    I see it too - however, I still maintain that given they have been to China for example, a country that until very recently (say 2008?) has been closed off to the world as far as media, and yet even there they had very LITTLE comment on Communism/Socialism (maybe Tiananmen Square, but that's it) ... I think Vietnam intentionally made this a requirement.

    In China, it was pretty much the culture of the country itself (the odd food - eating and serving an order, dress, swimming in the Olympic pool cube), but no blatant in your face items.

    Of an interesting note however - did anyone notice they used more of the COMMUNIST symbol (Hammer/Sickle) than they did a RED star (the symbol of Socialism) in the musical? that seemed a bit off too.

    Regardless here - it's sad that not many of them correlated the Communism flags to possibly what the song was. To them it based on what I saw in reaction it seemed like a J-Pop (Japanese pop/upbeat) song about birds and flowers and pretty flags.
    wannasee likes this.

  5. #65
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    384

    Re: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I see it too - however, I still maintain that given they have been to China for example, a country that until very recently (say 2008?) has been closed off to the world as far as media, and yet even there they had very LITTLE comment on Communism/Socialism (maybe Tiananmen Square, but that's it) ... I think Vietnam intentionally made this a requirement.

    In China, it was pretty much the culture of the country itself (the odd food - eating and serving an order, dress, swimming in the Olympic pool cube), but no blatant in your face items.

    Of an interesting note however - did anyone notice they used more of the COMMUNIST symbol (Hammer/Sickle) than they did a RED star (the symbol of Socialism) in the musical? that seemed a bit off too.

    Regardless here - it's sad that not many of them correlated the Communism flags to possibly what the song was. To them it based on what I saw in reaction it seemed like a J-Pop (Japanese pop/upbeat)
    song about birds and flowers and pretty flags.
    I was thinking about the contestants' reactions to the song too. But I can't really fault them for not paying attention to what the song meant. They're under so much continuous pressure to perform in all these tasks that I often wonder if they get to a point when they're not even sure what country they're in.

    BTW WE saw the translation of the song as captioning on our tv screens but did the contestants get any translation? I couldn't tell.

  6. #66
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,926

    Re: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    I was thinking about the contestants' reactions to the song too. But I can't really fault them for not paying attention to what the song meant. They're under so much continuous pressure to perform in all these tasks that I often wonder if they get to a point when they're not even sure what country they're in.

    BTW WE saw the translation of the song as captioning on our tv screens but did the contestants get any translation? I couldn't tell.
    No - I think most of them would've reacted a bit to what the song meant honestly if they knew the words (and not happy - maybe dumbfounded if not angry). That's one reason why I mentioned the Hammer and Sickle - just about everyone I know of can recognize it as being on the Soviet Flag in Russia, even teenyboppers now with "The Americans" and having the "c" in that style.

    You do have a point though on them possibly not knowing what country they're in unless they read and re-read their route info papers.

  7. #67
    50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,442

    Re: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

    FWIW, I've entered comments on TAR's Facebook page, sent an e-mail to CBS, and even one to Travelocity (their sponsor). I am now officially done discussing it. Thanks again, everyone, for your understanding and support.

  8. #68
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    384

    Re: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    No - I think most of them would've reacted a bit to what the song meant honestly if they knew the words (and not happy - maybe dumbfounded if not angry). That's one reason why I mentioned the Hammer and Sickle - just about everyone I know of can recognize it as being on the Soviet Flag in Russia, even teenyboppers now with "The Americans" and having the "c" in that style.

    You do have a point though on them possibly not knowing what country they're in unless they read and re-read their route info papers.
    Jadewarlock: Didn't one or more of them comment on how "cool" that plane wreckage was as they were running past to get their next clue? I think maybe they didn't know what it was a wreckage of.

  9. #69
    To the Point
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,547

    Re: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Or perhaps just did not get the significance. Sad, but quite possibly true.

  10. #70
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,926

    Re: 3/17 TAR 22 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    Jadewarlock: Didn't one or more of them comment on how "cool" that plane wreckage was as they were running past to get their next clue? I think maybe they didn't know what it was a wreckage of.
    I didn't hear any "cools" in regard to the wreckage - to me it was if anything that they were heading to the pit stop.

    I would HOPE that they realize that B-52s are an American plane or at least have an understanding of the Vietnam war to get that Vietnam wouldn't make a monument of a wreck to themselves like we did the Arizona (though admittedly there it WAS a burial ground due to inability to rescue/recover sailors) to get what it was.

    But hopefully CBS/the Amazing Race crews get that maybe in the future they should consider other locales to have the race that are not controversial because of the still sensitive nature of our history with them.
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.